Menu

Walch Power Basics U.S. Government

I am considering using this for a git-r-dun Government course.  We have taken much longer with U.S. History than I anticipated.

I have the complete set to look over.  It seems so brief;  I'm not sure it's enough for half a credit (state recommended).  We also need Economics.  I had planned on using the Economics 101 from Hillsdale College, but ds is NOT thrilled with the online format.  He likes his books.

Does anyone have any experience with the Power Basics text?

Thanks.

Robin

I'm interested in hearing more on this as well for any subject in the power basics series.   I thought Walch Power Basics series was intended for credit for remedial students.  (my youngest has special needs and I've been looking at using this series in a few years to have high school content but at a bit lower level. )  So if anyone knows it from that angle, please share that as well. thanks :)

I only have experience with the Alg 1 books.  I purchased the whole set,including extra practice book, for DS last year.  IME they are brief and to the point.  For Algebra 1 it covered everything, briefly. But DS and I both loved the simple explanations, all introductory courses should be written like this.  Because of the lack of depth we will be doing Algebra 1 again this year, using Lial,  2-3 days a week and Geometry the other days.  Also, PB Alg 1 has an answer key not a solutions manual and there were a few problems we just couldn't figure out.

I would assume that the Government is very similar in style.  1 semester get it done type.  If you want you could add in extras like; documentaries, research on historical figures with mini biography papers, taking a citizenship test, visit state capital and do a tour.... etc..

My ds used this for Am. Gov't last year. You are right, it is a basic, get it done program. It covers everything in a high school government class, exactly once. The workbook, IMO, added a lot to it and was of a more difficult work level than just the book alone, with more in-depth answers and some research required. DS did all of the questions in the book, the tests and the workbook. There is no fluff in the program, it is just fact-driven. I do not think it is remedial by any stretch of the imagination as it covers all of the information needed, it just isn't embellished with sidebars, photos, case studies, etc. like a typical text book is. 

ETA: DS also watched The Standard Deviants American Government DVD's. It was a good combo.

We have been dreading government and DD just started Power Basics.  We are using the workbook, probably doing about half those assignments.  We are doing all assignments in the book itself.  I thought it was actually pretty good, after hearing so much about it being "remedial".  (I have already gone through the book to schedule it out.)  There are "Think About It" sections that we have discussion about. 

I am giving her half a credit. 

It is designed for PS students with below-average reading levels, but they are awarded a semester credit for it. It seems reasonable to me to also award a semester credit for it.

That is how I've heard the term "remedial".  It's for "at age content" but reading level is lower than age/grade.  It's not a dirty word or mean one. Perhaps I'm just using the wrong vocabulary word to describe that situation.  if so, I'd appreciate someone kindly telling me the correct word for that situation :)  and keep in mind my youngest will need "at age content and grade, but below reading levels.. she has a lot of language delays) so it's not a bad thing in my book  :)

That is how I've heard the term "remedial".  It's for "at age content" but reading level is lower than age/grade.  It's not a dirty word or mean one. Perhaps I'm just using the wrong vocabulary word to describe that situation.  if so, I'd appreciate someone kindly telling me the correct word for that situation :)  and keep in mind my youngest will need "at age content and grade, but below reading levels.. she has a lot of language delays) so it's not a bad thing in my book  :)

Yeah, the term is sticky.  I think the comment about reading level is more precise.  Remedial implies you're going back and learning the bare minimum after failing the first time.  The PB stuff tends to be more straightforward, basics, with some creativity.  That's actually the most interesting thing about them (to me), the creative activities they add.  I thought it was much better than what we would have done with random book reading and she's likely to retain more with a spartan but fast approach than she would with a needlessly wordy, agenda-driven approach.  So I thought it was sort of reasonable.  (more content, over quickly, interesting applications and projects)  

I can't have EVERYTHING be so hard for her and always maxing out her ability.  She finished last year really WORN OUT.

I'll be the odd man out.   I ordered a PB course and returned it.  It was way too basic and my child would not have been happy with the presentation at all. So there is more to it than what it covers.  Will your child appreciate the approach?  And will you be satisfied with the depth of the content?  (I wasn't bc I knew my child was capable of much more and my child knew he was capable of much more.  For a child that it matches skill level, the scenario is different.)

I'll be the odd man out.   I ordered a PB course and returned it.  It was way too basic and my child would not have been happy with the presentation at all. So there is more to it than what it covers.  Will your child appreciate the approach?  And will you be satisfied with the depth of the content?  (I wasn't.)

It just varies.  I got the PB world history, wondering if it might work for her for 7th or 8th, and I decided not to use it.  It's her strong point and it wasn't what she needed at that time.  I can actually imagine it fitting my ds at some point (probably 5th-7th), so I'm keeping it.  I thought the creative projects were interesting and more out of the box than *most* of what I see in high school level curriculum.  If you have a child who would do well with more creative projects, etc, then you might find ideas to harvest.  The only thing even really close to that creative is Oak Meadow.

Nobody's saying it's turning out the next James Madison.  That's not the point of "git 'er done."  ;)  

It just varies.  I got the PB world history, wondering if it might work for her for 7th or 8th, and I decided not to use it.  It's her strong point and it wasn't what she needed at that time.  I can actually imagine it fitting my ds at some point (probably 5th-7th), so I'm keeping it.  I thought the creative projects were interesting and more out of the box than *most* of what I see in high school level curriculum.  If you have a child who would do well with more creative projects, etc, then you might find ideas to harvest.  The only thing even really close to that creative is Oak Meadow.

Nobody's saying it's turning out the next James Madison.  That's not the point of "git 'er done."   ;)

We have done plenty of "git 'er done" classes......art history, American gov't, econ.... to name a few.   For my kids, who are perfectly capable of higher level material, PB were not a good fit even for low priority classes.    If I had a child that was struggling, I think PB would be a good fit.   

We have done plenty of "git 'er done" classes......art history, American gov't, econ.... to name a few.   For my kids, who are perfectly capable of higher level material, PB were not a good fit even for low priority classes.    If I had a child that was struggling, I think PB would be a good fit.   

Thank you for being polite enough to append that word to my child.  I obviously don't know who she is and have an inflated sense of her.

Thank you for being polite enough to append that word to my child.  I obviously don't know who she is and have an inflated sense of her.

I wasn't trying to place my perspective on anyone else's family.  It is **my** perspective for **my** children.   I would not use PB for children capable of doing more.   I would only use it with **my** children if they were a struggling student.   

The OP asked for people's opinions of PB, that is mine.   Multiple other posters have posted that they were satisfied with the approach for a low priority course.  I wasn't.  Not sure how that implies anything about **your** child at all.   

Yikes!  I certainly didn't intend for my inquiry to cause trouble...

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

I've decided (because I am a cheapskate) to just use something I have...Holt Government.  It will probably take more time than I'm wanting, but we'll figure it out...plus, I have the teacher book.

Thanks all.

Robin

I've heard materials described as "high interest" materials when they have content that is age/grade higher than the reading level. I've also seen it described as "high/low." A librarian will be able to help you find specific books that are designed for this purpose as well as provide a list of traditional books with their reading level and their interest level, which aren't always the same thing for a lot of books. 

Another option we have used more successfully than Power Basics, which we tried for Biology, are the AGS and Pacemaker books...lower reading level, high school content.  I have several developmental learners who are ELL's and have a few other challenges, and these books were better to "get 'er done" for us versus Power Basics because they were more engaging visually, and offered far more critical thinking type questions along with tasks that helped encourage the development of other skills needed for higher education learning.  Pacemaker is much lower, but AGS is more along the lines of Power Basics, but with full color photos, charts and graphs.  There are also Globe Fearon books out there as well, which are also a step up, but not quite a standard textbook.  We supplemented with documentaries, and Teaching Company lectures to create a rich course, despite the lower reading level textbook.

Cindy,

I'm interested in the AGS books for my special needs son.  Do you know where I can view sample pages?  I went to the Pearson website but couldn't see inside any of the texts.

Thanks!

Me too!  I would love to see some samples.  DS is getting much better at reading (dyslexia is a PITA!) but is still behind and we really need to lower the level while keeping the interest high.

Walch has the Power Basics in their Alternative and Special Education section. Their description reads: 

• Our best selling Power Basics series offers core curriculum with student friendly texts, low reading levels and a soft cover format. You can also get Power Basics in a reproducible kit. Power Basics is perfect for the adult student who wants to get his/her high school degree or needs an extra high school credit to continue schooling. It's also a great resource for transient students or English Language Learners. And because Power Basics offer teacher's guides, workbooks, test packs and practice packs, it's a durable, thorough resource for an entire course of study. 

There are sample pages available. 

I like the PB courses for when you want to spend a little less time on a subject to devote more time to other subjects and/or rich electives. Skinnier book=less reading=less time, period. The workbook activities bring the course up to where it's not just bare bones.

As far as level goes, the chemistry course (which DD is using this year and another DD used in the past) for example, is solidly high school level as far as what content is covered. In comparison to an introductory college course, it covers most of the same topics, but much more briefly--especially in the "end-of-book" topics. 

~Kim

• 2 weeks later...

Not that everyone else's syllabi aren't great too, but here's the syllabus I made if anyone wants it.  It throws in a few movies, most of the activities, some field trips, etc. Each line is a class session and I put the links for the movies in the document, making it easy for you to watch them for free on youtube.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4d-ni5Q4XwtZDN0TE9YZUdSUEE/edit?usp=sharing

I like the PB courses for when you want to spend a little less time on a subject to devote more time to other subjects and/or rich electives. Skinnier book=less reading=less time, period. The workbook activities bring the course up to where it's not just bare bones.

As far as level goes, the chemistry course (which DD is using this year and another DD used in the past) for example, is solidly high school level as far as what content is covered. In comparison to an introductory college course, it covers most of the same topics, but much more briefly--especially in the "end-of-book" topics. 

~Kim

Exactly my thoughts on the Algebra 1. Complete but brief.  That's why we got the additional Practice book (we would alternated between Practice book and Workbook).  I think I would like complete but brief for other subjects as well.  It would be nice to have something that I can add a lot to (like OhElizabeth does in her Gov't syllabus).  IMO that's the best kind of program.  Only, I've blown my budget for the year and I'm trying to downsize on the books, not add more to my shelves.