Menu

How to choose a math program... now I rant

Wind-in-my-hair

Well, he was 5 when we began formal learning. But he is now 6 1/2. We still so not have a math program that works. I am panic stricken with every floundering attempt. I am very dissatisfied with math altogether. I feel crummy about my own math education. I need products that dovetail with each other. It doesn't help that RS bashes traditional arithmetic as well as claims to be better than traditional Montessori, and that SM and BA people sing from the mountain tops of how superior their programs are to the traditional ones like Saxon, and the adherents of those program expressing how well-educated their children are as well. It is just really stressful to choose a math program. It can't be just because you like one more than the other. None of them work well when paired up. Its always expensive. And you have to start over from scratch with each switch. I could really use an expert, you know, an expert teacher who teaches gifted as well as average or struggling students, to evaluate my son and tell me what program I should be using. I do not trust myself, and I especially do not trust the demagogues of the math world.  

He's still too young for you to panic. :-) And I will tell you the same thing I tell people who have used several different products/methods to teach their children to read by the time the dc are 7: You may have tried too many things in too short a period of time for anything to really click.

Or not. I would love to live close enough to come over to your house for a cup of tea and help you ponder your math choices. :grouphug:

Here is something that Hunter found that is completely free: Grube's method. It is really fascinating; just read through it, page by page, and see what you think.

I think your plan of printing out Ray's and going with that is good. Now stop reading math threads until Ray's stops working! :)

Seriously ... every program thinks that it has THE answer, and you can convince yourself to go in a thousand different directions easily.

Realistically, almost any solid program (and everything you've mentioned is solid) will result in a neurotypical kid learning arithmetic just fine, if applied conscientiously. It is when math is either not taught on a regular basis, the kid has some learning difficulties, or the parent/school jumps from program to program every year or even more frequently (and most commonly it is a combination of the above) that results in a child just not learning arithmetic.

We use Miquon without the manipulatives.   :thumbup1:   My ds6 doesn't want them at all.  Once in a while, we get them out to demonstrate a concept that he needs to see.  I use Miquon because I need something that will allow my asynchronous student to forge ahead in one strong area while he is still working on other weaker areas.  He can be working in one book for one subject and another book for a different subject, and if he makes "lightbulb" leaps in an area, it is easy to skip ahead in only that subject.  

I'm so sorry you feel this way. I bought the whole Miquon series and have yet to use it. We also tried Singapore and did not like it. We have finally found our place with Christian Light Education. It is straight forward, scripted, and provides plenty of drill. We love this program now. It is inexpensive as well. You could order a tm and couple light units to give it a try.

Either way, deep breaths. Your child is 6 1/2 and only in 1st grade technically. You have not ruined your child at all. If you don't like Miquon, sell it. Then, start looking at others. Math does not have to be flashy, new math. It just needs to get done.

Hugs!

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: 

It's laudable to strive for a perfect fit, but sometimes that means getting the wrong thing. It's okay. We've all done it. 

And you haven't missed the right age. Your child is a baby.  A lot of times when people start sooner it takes longer. I have had times when I felt behind but because my son was older we covered a year's worth of material in a few months. Sometimes it's more efficient to wait and cover things quickly than slog through. 

I'm gradually trying to take notes and combine the information from several books I like, into one streamlined triage plan to use when in crisis or in need of a fall back plan. It's not going to be an instantly completed project. I've typed this so far for myself. I don't know if it's any use to you right now.

Arithmetic is, Ă¢â‚¬Å“The science of numbers, or the art of computation. The various operations of arithmetic are performed by addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.Ă¢â‚¬ Foregoing definitions from WebsterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s 1828 Dictionary, unless otherwise noted. The rudiments or first principles of arithmetic are: (1) Counting, (2) Order and Magnitude, (3) Representation, (4) The Plan for Solving Problems.

Counting. All arithmetic is counting

1. Addition is counting forward on the number line.
  2. Multiplication is a short method of counting many additions of the same number.
  3. Subtraction is counting backward on the number line.
  4. Division is the short method of counting many subtractions of the same number.
  5. Order of operation: multiplication and division must be done before addition and subtraction.

Order and Magnitude. Order is, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Regular disposition or methodical arrangement of things.Ă¢â‚¬ Magnitude is, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Extent of dimensions or parts; bulk, size; applied to things that have length, breadth, and thickness.Ă¢â‚¬ The principle of order and magnitude is the source of two essentials of arithmetic:

1. The numbers of the number line
  2. Units of measure

Representation. Ă¢â‚¬Å“To supply the place of; to act as a substitute for another.Ă¢â‚¬Â 

1. The Arabic system of notation uses figures to represent numbers.
  2. The Roman system of notation uses letters.
  3. The tally system uses slashes and crossbars.
  4. Other systems: Mayan, Egyptian, Chinese, Greek, etc. (optional)

Plan for Solving Problems

1. Plan: should be performed by explaining each step of the solution without mentioning any of the given amounts.
  2. Application: simply to do the indicated operations.
  3. Check: answer the specific question, checking to be sure it actually solves the problem.

Complete Overview

1. Skills of Counting
    1. Oral (by 1Ă¢â‚¬â„¢s, 2Ă¢â‚¬â„¢s, and 3Ă¢â‚¬â„¢s, etc.)
    2. Written
      1. Words (One, Two, Three, Etc.)
      2. System of Notation
        1. Roman (The Seven Letters and the Rules Governing Their Values)
        2. Arabic
          1. The Ten Figures and the Rules Governing Their Values
          2. The Operations (+, -, x, /)
  2. Categories of Application
    1. Counting Individual Objects or Individual Groups
    2. Counting Equal Parts (i.e., Fractions, Decimal Fractions, Percent, and Interest)
    3. Counting Units of Measure
      1. Geometric Units of Measure
        1. Line (such as inches, feet, yards, miles, etc.)
        2. Area (such as square inches, square feet, etc.)
        3. Volume or Capacity (such as cubic inches, etc.)
        4. Angle (i.e Degree such as 30, 60, 90, 180, etc.)
      2. Physical Units
        1. weight (such as ounces and pounds)
        2. Mass
        3. Temperature (such as degrees Fahrenheit etc.)
      3. Chronological Units
        1. Clock (seconds, minutes, hours, etc.)
        2. Calendar (days, weeks, months, years, decades, centuries, millenia, etc.)
      4. Monetary Units
        1. United Staes Money
        2. Foreign Money
      5. Unit Conversion (i.e., inches to feet, hours to minutes, etc.)
      6. Compound Units (i.e., m.p.h. and p.s.i.)

1. Beginning Arithmetic (1-3)
    1. Define arithmetic and some of itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s vocabulary
    2. Teach the origin, history and purpose of arithmetic
    3. The number line 
      1. Counting backward and forward
      2. Define arithmetic and addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division as counting processes (see above)
    4. Oral Counting 1Ă¢â‚¬â„¢s, 2Ă¢â‚¬â„¢s, 3Ă¢â‚¬â„¢s, 4Ă¢â‚¬â„¢s, 5Ă¢â‚¬â„¢s, and 10Ă¢â‚¬â„¢s to 100
    5. Notation and Numeration
      1. Teach Roman notation
      2. Teach Arabic notation
    6. Operations (+, -, x, /)
    7. Categories of Application (see  Complete Overview above)
    8. Daily Problem Solving Question and Daily Practice Sheets

Oh....so much I could say, but mostly I just want to :grouphug: you!

I am sorry that you are so frustrated right now. Here's a couple things I have learned:

• Miquon doesn't work for all people at all times. I have bought and sold Miquon 3 times. I finally am in love with and using it the way I think it is meant to be used, but sheesh! And a side note - the only manipulatives we use with Miquon are c-rods. If, in the future, you are looking for a all-inclusive manipulative kit, the Saxon one is decent. We purchased it back in PreK and have used it extensively.
  • Going through many different curricula to find what works for you is NORMAL. Feeling like you've wasted money is NORMAL. Really, almost all of us have been there; it's par for the course.
  • You MUST find something that YOU can teach. The best curriculum is the one that you feel comfortable teaching. Otherwise, it will NOT get done. I know that I started out the gate buying stuff that I thought the philosophy sounded great, and then I went to teach it and everything just fell flat, because it didn't fit with my Type A personality and the way I had learned. The good news is that your teaching style will evolve with your child as they get older. Just because you feel your math isn't strong now, doesn't mean that you can't learn, alongside. That's what I'm doing!
  • Finally, the biggest thing I've learned, is that they don't have to be math geniuses by 1st grade. I felt very similar to what you mentioned upthread, about needing standards. I didn't know where we were supposed to be, so we shot for the moon (just to be safe) and ended up very discouraged. With dd, I am sooo much more relaxed with math and we are enjoying it so much more. I really like what Hunter posted above and if I were you, not having any more of a budget, I'd just think about informally covering some of those topics. Look at your local library for math books, too. Here is a great site for some living math books.

HTH! Hang in there!

It sounds like you have a lot going on in your life that is frustrating.  It also sounds like you have an ideal of what homeschooling should be.  I do the same thing.  I spend hours researching curriculum even when I have already made my choice because I might see something better.  But, in reality, the things that get done are better than our best plans that don't.  The deep conversations, the "perfect" fit and wonderful time spent with our children are things we dream about in homeschooling.  And there are some days that might look like that and many days that don't.  There are days where you're tired and stressed and just want to drop your child off at the school yard.  Life happens, and those deep conversations often happen off schedule or at unplanned times by your availability to be there with your son.  Every math lesson is not going to be super meaningful just like every workout of our body isn't invigorating.  We slog through some of it as we stretch our brain.  Some days, our children just want to go play at the end, and that is OK!  

It sounds like you might want a more traditional math with a lot of mental math, and there are several programs that fit the bill.  I was going to suggest Ray's as it fits into your CM methods.  There is an inexpensive teaching guide that shows how to use it, and it's free with no need for expensive manipulatives.  I am more of a traditional math person that also uses manipulatives for counting, such as beans, etc.   I don't really get the C-rods.  I hear rave reviews on Math U See, and every single time I go to the website, I think, "Nope.  Not for me.  I don't care how popular it is."  But it sounds like you may have a little burnout from reading too much curriculum marketing.  No math program is the silver bullet for every child.  None.  Curriculum is just a tool that you use to teach your kids.  You are the teacher.  So use whatever resources work best in your philosophy and you and your child's needs.  Don't worry about which one claims to be the best.  That is pure marketing.  It's like saying you have the World's Best Coffee.  So does everyone else.  Use what fits your style of teaching and adapt it as you see fit for your son.  Frankly, if you used no curriculum and just taught addition, subtraction, multiplication and division with whatever manipulative or flash cards were on hand, that would be sufficient for this level.  Throw in some measurements, shapes, time and calendar, and you have a very robust program.  I understand needing it all laid out, and that's where it goes back to being a tool to help you in your goals.  

If Miquon isn't a good fit, I'd try to sell it.  Maybe try Ray's for a bit even if just for a breather, but doing something will help you know what you are looking for more, and Ray's is a low-cost investment.  I don't see a problem with putting off this decision for a month or even a semester as long as you are continuing to practice addition and subtraction.  Make it fun with some math games.  Play War or other number games that sound appealing to you.  Read Sir Cumference or something fun.  No, that is not what I consider a rigorous math program for long term, but taking the pressure of a curriculum decision off of your plate for a month won't harm anything.  That's the other beauty of homeschooling...flexibility.

I am suffering financially. I cannot get things in order at home. I am involved in a lawsuit that takes up alot of my attention. I am the plaintiff in a medical malpractice case from two years ago. I no longer cook even though I loved to. I am always tired and my diet is poor. 

My son acts aggressive. He pretends he is a ninja. He always wants me to take him to the park, and I am usually too tired. 

My baby is beginning to walk. That's a new challenge. But he is mellow and overall he is good. 

Dad doesn't do much at bedtime or to alleviate the stress of dealing directly with the kids. 

I am not inspired to homeschool anymore. I want to give up. All the beauty I saw in it, all the potential, is getting swallowed up by my own sense of failure. I really hate wasting money. But worse I hate using something that just isn't intuitive for me and my child. 

I want to homeschool in my own way, and not follow a strict protocol. But whenever I try I fail. Sticking to WTM or Ambleside Online seems to be the only way to get it right. Yet, with math, I cannot comprehend what to do to get my son where he needs to be, or to fit it in to a CM-inspired routine. 

Every time I read something, it seems to contradict what I already learned. This is maddening, and I see no "middle" path to follow. 

We don't have a lot of money, so my failures are more than just delaying our homeschool life from moving forward.

BTW I begged DH to help me decide on a math curricula and he refused to even read the "about" pages on the RS and SPM websites. And in trying to avoid spending the big bucks on a solid, tested program like RS, MiF, or Saxon, I end up racking up a higher bill total with a bunch of little non-essentials, like unit study kits and pattern blocks. If my DH had been able to sit down with me, we might have chosen something or at least put priority tags and time limits on purchases. But he blocked me out. I really hate having to shop for curricula with out his input, even though it is his money. And he says we cannot afford private school, even though he'd prefer to send our DS than to HS him. I am different: I am an idealist about HSing. I want to get a custom fit for our family and our child. So of course he expects me to be efficient, while I want something perfect for us, and yet we don't sit down and talk about it. He refuses to even read one single review. He says he hates math, hated school, and only as an adult in college does he feel confident about his schooling. He said his educators failed him, and he is not qualified to make any evaluation of any type of educational program. 

I am so distracted that I know I miss dozens of opportunities to teach my child a life lesson, or just sit and read with my child. I want an approach to schooling that is non-stressful! That is the number one most important thing! And we have to love our studies and be challenged by them! They have to be interactive and verbally engaging. I need verbalization and affirmation that he gets it, and Miquon discourages this. RS does not. SPM, I have no idea. It is all just so dogmatic, it makes my stomach turn. It doesn't even matter about the scope and sequence, the content. Each program is highly dogmatic, I am discovering, and that is what I hate.

:grouphug: I hope you catch a break somewhere. That is a a lot of stress,

Wow, that outline got messed up when I pasted it. :lol: It looks like all the indents are in the correct places, but everything turning into the same kind of numbers is very confusing. Most of that is from A Guide to American Christian Education for Home and for School. I want to tweak that and fill it in with other sources like Ruth Beechick, Samuel Blumenfeld, vintage books, and some OOP scope and sequences from back in the 90's. And I want to add in page numbers from free vintage books.

I don't like to use anything other than fingers, playing cards, and money as manipulatives. Most of my tutoring is done in the world of my students, which is often day shelters, soup kitchens, and women's centers. I often walk to these places and have to carry everything, often about 3 miles round trip. Miquon wouldn't work for me. :lol:

I teach the other strands of math differently than I teach arithmetic and algebra. I like to teach non arithmetic topics like I teach content and the arts. Sometimes I even make a unit study out of them. I don't teach non arithmetic topics to mastery and I don't try and integrate all the strands. And I don't want to center a student's education around math unless that is uniquely their calling in life. Math is like yeast. You only need enough to leaven the rest of the curriculum, and most of that yeast is basic arithmetic and very very basic algebra. 

Going through the court system is an awful experience. Medical malpractice isn't criminal court, right? I hope that means you have more rights than a victim in a criminal trial. I never dared to take the person hurting me to court, but the situation was so bad it leaked out to everyone else in my life and one family took the person to court for what was happening to them and I got called in as a witness. I was told that current victims are expendable and only the defendant and potential future victims have rights. Being victimized by the courts was harder than being victimized by a regular person. Reading about secondary wounding can be helpful to some people going through the courts.

http://fellednot.com/secondary-wounding/

Self Compensation is a route that some victims choose over suffering further victimization by the courts, or in addition to going through the courts. I'm sorry, I don't know where this article comes from.

A well-spent life

As a trauma survivor who has been battered by life, one of your major goals needs to be taking better and better care of yourself emotionally and physically (and spiritually as well, if this is important to you). 

It is sometimes said that the best revenge is a well-spent life. Merely surviving the trauma and its secondary wounding experiences can be a monumental form of revenge in certain situations. In addition, further revenge is to develop yourself-to go on to enjoy life and make a contribution to it. Whether you try to get back at those who hurt you, or you determine that it would be more rewarding to compensate yourself for your losses, rather than spending valuable time, money, and energy in getting compensation from others, your well-being needs to be your primary concern. 

Self-Compensation

Self-compensation is a major form of empowerment, because you are in control. Generally, compensating yourself for your losses is much more reliable than expecting the persons or institutions that harmed you or demonstrated little compassion for your pain to give you something, even what you are entitled to legally.

What can you realistically give yourself as a form of compensation? Although you certainly may include material items, such as clothing, jewelry, books, or a new car, and experiences such as vacations and entertainment, such compensations may be beyond your means. 

Many trauma survivors find that, although it is important to give themselves material goods and pleasurable experiences, it is also important to treat themselves with loving kindness on a daily basis. It has also proved important to them to respect the impact of the trauma on their personalities and habits. Many survivors have earned a little extra time to play, and need a little more time to accomplish things, and benefit from the chance to avoid stressful situations

One way of taking emotional care of yourself is to keep a daily journal of your feelings and allow yourself time to talk to others about your problems and concerns. You can carry the load alone if you want to, but why suffer needlessly? If help is available, take it. Spiritually; you may want to give yourself the time to meditate, pray, or engage in other activities you find rewarding. The above ideas are only suggestions. Only you know what will help you feel compensated. Over time, the experiences and objects you desire as forms of compensation may change. That's fine, just be sure to continue to compensate yourself. 

Math can be extremely therapeutic. It gives you a break from thinking about good and evil, it lets you take the hardship and stress out of the equation and just look at it abstractly (like how much wasted money on a math program looks if I just focus on the numbers... its a relief because it is a solvable problem with a definite solution, whereas making a choice of curriculum involves ethics... and that weighs heavily and does not have a definite solution). It might be that ethics and math will intersect when my husband finally buys a math workbook from Walmart my budget becomes nil, because here I am, spending our money, and not getting anywhere in our math education! That is a sin.

I know what you mean about math being therapeutic. I think the arabic decimal system is one of the most beautiful things on earth. It amazes me that so many mathematicians are in a rush to pass over arithmetic to get to the other strands that they think of as the "good stuff". I like the other stuff too, but equations and algorithms are works of art. In art, I love simple line drawings of the body; no color or details or shading; just simple flowing lines. In math, those algorithms are maybe triggering the same responses.

Ancient Greek does the same thing for me as math. After what the courts did to me, I ended out fleeing one city for another, homeless AGAIN, with nothing more than what I could carry on a China Town to China Town bus, and I packed an Ancient Greek book and math book. :lol: I have been known to sit in hospitals and homeless shelters totally engrossed in Greek and math for hours at a time, leaving staff just shaking their heads.

My goodness, no. C-rods are innocent in this fiasco. Their inventor probably was just trying to make math a little bit more interesting for the artsy children that didn't like paper and pencil math. And since mr C was a musician I will bet he was one of those people who could see the harmonious patterns of math expressed by the colorful rods. 

I really just don't like so much... dogma in math program talk. And the expense incurred by trying things. Now, if its a language arts resource, and I don't want to use it, I don't sweat it so much. I am willing to try and risk not liking a l.a. resource. I usually find a use for every l.a. resource, even if its just a really good page. For some reason, it seems math is harder to assimilate. And right now, my life being stressful enough, I NEED IT TO JUST ASSIMILATE. I need something I can open and start teaching, adjusting as I go, if necessary. I had no idea there would be so much nit picking about how to present the c-rods, and how to give the child the right amount of autonomy, etc.  

I do want a program or mashup of programs, as it looks like I am going to have, that builds aptitude and accelerates a little bit faster than a traditional program like Ray's (that it only goes to 20 may be an issue, but that it provides a strong foundation in mental math is great)... when I was a cashier I worked mainly mentally in the realm of 20, and it provided a good foundation for my math understanding to develop. If I had to identify my approach to larger sums with one on the market, I would say RS matches my mental process and method for calculating large sums. I chose Miquon for a living puzzle type math, and because it looked interesting. I have to admit that my material from MMM and Miquon provide much information and are valuable. The activity cards allow me to plan my own labs, and the Miquon book could allow me to give assignments or direct DC's independent focus on problem solving. I do like the whole idea. I am wrestling with why I don't like the particulars of it so much. I am understanding that if used superficially (like they were in my elementary school) the rods fail to provide any mastery of any fact. I think the moment a child can think: Hey, this rod is usually the "1" rod, but if I say it is the "10" rod, or the "22" rod, what does that make all the other rods?" is the moment the Miquon approach will have been successful, but that could take alot of familiarity with the rods. 

I am not sending Miquon or the rods back. They will play an important role in our school day, and I think that very gradually they may even develop work ethic and boldness in problem solving in my DC. They offer the nice advantages of Montessori manipulatives without taking up a huge amount of space. So, I think the rods can stay. But something else on my shelf has to go back if I want to get something else our homeschool will inevitably need.

Ahhh ok.

So your frustration isn't really coming from c-rods.

Good luck hun, I hope your path opens up for you.

My ex-husband didn't even know the ages of his sons, never mind care to give input into the curriculum. I was able to get some input from my father-in-law and his brothers, though, which I was very thankful for.

Most of my curriculum was purchased with the money my mother-in-law gave me for my birthday and for Christmas. My husband only gave me $100.00 a year for curriculum. I used the Bible and the library a lot. There were many homeschoolers in the 90s on that $100.00 a year budget, but we were SO much easier on ourselves back then! The funny thing is that we accomplished just as much with less money and less time researching and less time teaching. Sometimes smaller goals are better. OrĂ¢â‚¬â€œgasp!Ă¢â‚¬â€œno real goals at all, other than to keep your kid out of PS.

I keep trying to find something to quote about where you are discussing the fanaticism and religious fervor of so many math curricula, but this thread is getting really LONG.

The New Math of the Cold War era was nuts, but we are hitting a whole new level with the New New maths. I predict a back-to-basics response to this in about another decade when math scores start falling instead of increasing.

You might want to take a look at MEP too...It might not be quite as traditional as some of the programs mentioned, but it's easy to follow, its methods are much more straightforward and you'll easily be able to see where they're going with the lessons.

And you need zero special manipulatives. They have some paper strips for y1 but mostly they tell the teacher to have kids gather acorns or buttons, or just use whatever's handy for a counter. I have a kid in y5. Definitely not still using counters. I am pretty sure we starting using a program when he was no younger than 5. I think you could easily avoid MEP hype because the creators don't brag. There are videos of teachers using it and the material itself. It's pretty lowkey and plain looking.

I started with something else, used it for a semester, and switched to MEP. It works for me and my kids. It helps me stay organized. I too can be distracted, trying to pick what to use. I never used Miquon or c-rods. I have the orange Miquon from a free download I once got from CurrClick.

I don't want to suggest you add another program in, but that you just pick something and run with it for a while, and try to nourish yourself, and take your little ninja to the park.

Seriously, just start doing something that looks promising and don't overthink it.

PA-MOM1st-timer, you made some good points about some math programs contradicting each other, instead of complementing each other. I tend to look for programs that complement each other and my basic math teaching philosophy. So, I have a lot of stuff, but it all mostly does complement each other, at least.

I tend to use a much narrower scope and sequence than most younger instructors. So when I add some Asian math, I use translated Japanese materials instead of Singapore.

With the vintage maths, there are a couple major divides in methods. In the early years there is the Grube method books that teach all 4 operations simultaneously with smaller numbers, and in contrast there are the methods like Ray's that use higher numbers in addition and subtraction before adding multiplication and division. In the higher maths there is a push by some authors to focus more on pure arithmetic, rather than assigning a lot of business math.

I'm not at all suggesting you purchase anything on this list, but I'm going to list some programs that play fairly nicely together.

Samuel Blumenfeld's How to Tutor

The arithmetic suggestions in A Guide to American Christian Education for Home and for School

Ruth Beechick's Three R's and You can Teach your Child

Ray's math and other vintage texts being aware of what I discussed above

Strayer-Upton https://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=10&category=9224

Simply Charlotte Mason Mathematics https://simplycharlottemason.com/store/mathematics-an-instrument-for-living-teaching/

Professor B is a much narrower scope and sequence with a focus on arithmetic. The series is designed to accommodate rapid acceleration, with just 3 books for K-7/8. http://www.profb.com/productslist.aspx?Subject=Arithmetic&CategoryID=14&cat=Books

Japanese Math is a narrower Asian scope and sequence http://www.globaledresources.com/products.html

OOP and getting harder to find is the FIRST edition Saxon texts 54 on up. The series is getting progressively wider and more rigorous and tied to the earlier levels. FIRST edition 54 was often started with delayed start students after just learning their basic math facts and nothing else. It was designed to be an entry level text.

OOP but dirt cheap and still easy to get is Arithmetic Made Simple http://www.amazon.com/Arithmetic-Made-Simple-Robert-Belge/dp/0385239386

Math Essentials http://rfisher.powweb.com/melinda/

The ARITHMETIC KIT and GAMES, but NOT the full curriculum from Right Start http://store.rightstartmath.com/alabacuspacket.aspx

Arithmetic Village http://arithmeticvillage.com

You are totally overthinking this. Just pick up Horizons Math, CLE or a MCP Math Grade 1 book and go.

The c-rods are a tool to express a concept. I personally prefer them for fractions and adding negative integers. I fit my MMM bars in a small plastic container that sits upon a shelf. We dig them out when necessary.

Money is not real. It used to be just paper, backed up by nothing, but now it's nothing more than blips in a computer. Money is temporary power to do things, butĂ¢â‚¬Â¦it's just too ethereal to get worked up over.

I made a HUGE purchasing boo boo a couple months ago, but in the end it blessed someone else that needed that blessing, and because I was willing to let go, the universe made sure to give me what I needed. I found some money in a used free book I took from a donated book pile , and then I found some money of my own that I must have misplaced last year, and finally I won a $100 gift certificate to restaurant. I have found that as long as I pass my boo boos on, then the universe makes sure me and mine have what we need.

This is exactly how I feel. You know, I hate sending anything back to Rainbow when I could probably sell it at a discount to my local homeschooling families or gift it to a friend who may be praying for a solution to educating her own child. My DH, however, feels very differently. 

The crazy thing is math will not be our most expensive subject. That award already goes to piano. And DS has already showed me he is willing and interested in practicing his "stepping up, stepping down, then a skip" to perfection. His lessons begin in September and I am 100 percent confident he is ready and will comply with his practice routine. So, there is a bright spot. 

Sometimes these "extras" (if you consider them extras) are the best for developing a child's habits and skills. So even though I am skeptical, Miquon might reveal its value in an unexpected way. And if it doesn't, I know a family that would be happy to give it a test run and would give me reasonable compensation if they wanted it. So I need not stress.

This is a great list of resources. I will look into them. btw, alot of business math is a plus in our homeschool. DH and I are always lamenting the fact that we were never taught basic accounting or balance sheet math until college. Thank you!

PA-MOM1st-timer, you made some good points about some math programs contradicting each other, instead of complementing each other. I tend to look for programs that complement each other and my basic math teaching philosophy. So, I have a lot of stuff, but it all mostly does complement each other, at least.

I tend to use a much narrower scope and sequence than most younger instructors. So when I add some Asian math, I use translated Japanese materials instead of Singapore.

With the vintage maths, there are a couple major divides in methods. In the early years there is the Grube method books that teach all 4 operations simultaneously with smaller numbers, and in contrast there are the methods like Ray's that use higher numbers in addition and subtraction before adding multiplication and division. In the higher maths there is a push by some authors to focus more on pure arithmetic, rather than assigning a lot of business math.

I'm not at all suggesting you purchase anything on this list, but I'm going to list some programs that play fairly nicely together.

Samuel Blumenfeld's How to Tutor

The arithmetic suggestions in A Guide to American Christian Education for Home and for School

Ruth Beechick's Three R's and You can Teach your Child

Ray's math and other vintage texts being aware of what I discussed above

Strayer-Upton https://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=10&category=9224

Simply Charlotte Mason Mathematics https://simplycharlottemason.com/store/mathematics-an-instrument-for-living-teaching/

Professor B is a much narrower scope and sequence with a focus on arithmetic. The series is designed to accommodate rapid acceleration, with just 3 books for K-7/8. http://www.profb.com/productslist.aspx?Subject=Arithmetic&CategoryID=14&cat=Books

Japanese Math is a narrower Asian scope and sequence http://www.globaledresources.com/products.html

OOP and getting harder to find is the FIRST edition Saxon texts 54 on up. The series is getting progressively wider and more rigorous and tied to the earlier levels. FIRST edition 54 was often started with delayed start students after just learning their basic math facts and nothing else. It was designed to be an entry level text.

OOP but dirt cheap and still easy to get is Arithmetic Made Simple http://www.amazon.com/Arithmetic-Made-Simple-Robert-Belge/dp/0385239386

Math Essentials http://rfisher.powweb.com/melinda/

The ARITHMETIC KIT and GAMES, but NOT the full curriculum from Right Start http://store.rightstartmath.com/alabacuspacket.aspx

Arithmetic Village http://arithmeticvillage.com

Hunter, Thank you for these suggestions (above). I can tell that I am more traditional-leaning when it comes to math. I would be happy using two or three curricula if they were reasonably priced, did not require expensive manipulatives, and did not contradict each other. I really want a meaty, narrow, accelerated program, which is intuitive to use and covers the facts without too, too much of a slant to a particular methodology. Most of the programs listed above seem to be under $30, cover more than one level per book, and seem compatible with a traditional approach or a CM-inspired approach. 

Gut-wise I do not trust the Miquon or Montessori approach because it actually sorta tries to "re-train" a child's natural way of grasping things, using a specialized approach or slant. The manipulatives become the child's thinking, is what it looks like to me. (It seems the same with the AL Abacus and RS, too, although I think that as a supplementary tool an abacus can be a useful thing in the math classroom). I am not opposed to teaching algebra a little bit earlier, or teaching the Japanese names of numerals to promote an understanding of place value. Its just when a manipulative becomes too important, I get a little squeamish about it. But its really the Montessori method, not the manipulatives, that deserve the most skepticism.

In theory, I like the idea of treating the child as an autonomous thinker, but that being understood, why then would you put such a great emphasis on leading a child's development through an elaborately acted out play?

In my heart I feel that, had I been given hours of early, self-directed play on a daily basis (instead of as a weekly supplement as I was given), and had I been let loose in a math lab of beautiful colors and toys, I would have had fun, it would have beat watching the rods on the overhead projector, for sure. But would I have improved my speed on timed tests, or been able to work out a problem in my head when it was delivered orally?

Nope. I believe that daily, one-on-one instruction and drill conducted verbally (orally and visually) with concrete demonstrations until every part of your DC's brain knows how a problem might be fired at him, is what builds good math skill. Letting the child "approach" the problem gives the child the luxury of not having to think with speed and clarity. In real life math, we do not always have the luxury of time, so we need to be sharp. It can still be fun: Do the lesson outdoors, snatch up pebbles or leaves or look at garden flowers and the number of petals. Or use legos and cars to build something, or play shopping with real or pretend money. 

This is a great list of resources. I will look into them. btw, alot of business math is a plus in our homeschool. DH and I are always lamenting the fact that we were never taught basic accounting or balance sheet math until college. Thank you!

I know you are not there yet, but for business maths and accounting, check out the Mennonite publishers, Rod and Staff and CLE, which both publish accounting courses.

You can often get older edition copies of Aufmann's Basic College Math for a penny. You can see the business math section in this newer edition sample starting on page 233.

http://books.google.com/books?id=DSALAAAAQBAJ&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=aufmann+basic+college+math+5th&source=bl&ots=0NsN4bTAGp&sig=PrM-vZOEjxqAd4hpSwZdSX9Gt0c&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yWPzU4nsAY_voAS78ILYCA&ved=0CFYQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=aufmann%20basic%20college%20math%205th&f=false

There is some good business math in the book, Arithmetic Made Simple that I linked above, that is written in the style of the vintage books, but updated to modern practices. It's a helpful roadmap to being able to supplement with the exercises in the vintage texts.

Simply Charlotte Mason has a Business Math course, but I have never seen it.

https://simplycharlottemason.com/store/your-business-math/

The authors that suggest focusing on pure arithmetic more than business math, are of the same type of thinking as English teachers that focus on essay writing in general compared to lots of teaching of the individual essay forms. I tend to focus on general teaching over focusing on specifics and details, but not radically so. When using vintage texts, the general exercises are more applicable to modern times than the specific lessons, so that works out nicely for me. :)

I think Charles McMurry encourages pure arithmetic in his book Special Method in Arithmetic, but it might have been one of his other books. http://books.google.com/books?id=tAcCAAAAYAAJ&dq=charles+mcmurry+arithmetic&source=gbs_navlinks_s

Thank you, everyone, for all of your wisdom. I have a lot of viable options and ideas now, and I do not feel in a panic anymore. 

I visited the chiropractor for the first time in ages today and I feel like a new person. 

I sent some of my math stuff back. I realized that they aren't going to become more valuable sitting on my shelf. 

I feel so much more confident in the idea of getting back to basics. I will try Ray's without a doubt, and probably use the MEP worksheets for a test run. I cannot believe how expensive some math programs out there are.

I have a child who has a short but intense attention span, and who is motivated to get his work done to be done. I just read enough of Miquon to know that I cannot expect him to use it the way it was intended... our lesson period is 10 AM to 1PM, followed by recess, lunch, and quiet time, some art, and that is our whole day. And Montessori methods, like Miquon as it was intended to be used, are/can be time-consuming. If my child ends up liking math, liking it alot, I might treat him to a special program that he can do in his free time. For now, we are trying to keep it simple so he can get out and play.

Hmm I can relate to some of this. I don't like lots of "things" to pull out for math. At one point I had gotten RightStarts tutorial book with their Al Abacus. I didn't choose to follow with RS but I am glad to have the abacus.... One manipulative to show many concepts...no pieces to deal with. I use it with other programs now. From what I have seen none of the math programs are complete in one book. Most need additional fact review, games, word problems, etc.

Next thing is to realize that you are just teaching arithmetic at this point. Yes there are different ways to introduce it n work with it but it's all arithmetic. Math isn't the only subject that has many programs that consider themselves the end-all be-all....just glance at phonics choices and you will see what I mean!

I can totally rate to you wanting to discuss this with your dh and to the fact that he doesn't feel qualified to help you. My dh doesn't help with these decisions either....but when he does venture an opinion I get a quick yes to the last one I mentioned. His says if you find one thing that You think will work then stop looking...but I don't know what might work till I have consider all to most of what is out there .. And then I'm down to a few options n it is all up to me. Ug.

Now back to math. Basically all the programs mentioned can lead to great success. It basically boils down to determining your child's learning preferences and your teaching preferences.

Sounds like your doc is still young. Maybe take a year to work on the basics of numbers, amounts, simple addition. There are many literature books that touch I this as well. At the same time you can consider both his and your preferences for spiral vs mastery (learning/teaching something new each day plus reviewing older material to cement vs learning/teaching one concept to mastery with occation all review just for review sake). You already know you don't wantots of pieces.. That helps to pair down the choices.

I chose a math program based on what made sense to ME.  If I could understand the logic of how and what was taught, I could teach it to my kids.  I am a very indecisive person, but I knew early on to pick a math curriculum and stick with it BECAUSE they are all so different.  I didn't want to start one, and then switch constantly and completely confuse my kids.

I just read the post above, and I agree 100% - find something that YOU like and feel you can teach, and make it work.  :)  

• 5 months later...

I was just doing some thread-searching on Miquon and saw this post and read it all.  I know it is an old one, but I just have to say you are not alone in your frustration w/ Miquon. I ADORE it, personally; I want to do the lab sheets myself.  But after so much stress and frustration from my poor son, I *finally* ordered Rod and Staff--which is dry and straightforward--in the car, on my phone, in desperation (and I do not buy curriculum quickly/lightly!) as we were going on vacation in December.  

He loves it.  He is happy and comfortable. He is gaining the confidence that was eroding with Miquon.  The spiral approach seemed to absolutely confuse him, even when I was right at his side, helping him.  When he began to move from "I don't like math" to "I am not good at math" I decided we HAD to make a change. 

I still have Miquon and would like to still use it in the future in a supplemental way, but right now, for us, having a sequential, traditional, structured program seems to be just what the doctor ordered. I hate that I spent so long struggling to accept this and berating myself for being unable to make Miquon appealing to my son.  We are racing through the second grade R&S book.  I still feel sort of sad that Miquon didn't work like I thought it would--I had such high hopes!!