Menu

Help me choose a math curriculum?

myfatherslily

Okay, I'm starting to stress myself out about math! Totally silly, I know! lol:) My daughter is only 4! So here's the thing...

She is a fairly auditory learner with visual being her next-in-line strength. She has begun to read simple words so I'm going to start a phonics book in the next month or two. Looking at the various kindergarten math books, I believe she is ready to start one.

I have a strong desire to just choose one math curriculum that will take us from kindergarten through graduation, UNLESS we find it's not working for us. I just really don't want to PLAN on switching, you know?

I stink at math. Algebra is lost on me. I was homeschooled myself (K through 12) and ended up going through Saxon Algebra 2 twice, then taking a remedial and whatever the first regular Algebra course is called in college a few years ago. But now I still couldn't look at it and figure it out. I'm slow with the basics too (still carrying in multiplication, doing long division, etc). I just don't GET it. So I'm freaked out about teaching it cause I'm afraid that I will screw up my kids!! My husband is good at math so he's just going to have to take over at least once we get to algebra. I learned with A Beka for the earlier grades, then Saxon starting around... oh, 76 or 87 or something like that.

As I mentioned, my daughter is definitely a more auditory learner. I just have to explain stuff to her, and she's got it. My son (who is only 2) definitely is not oral (like talking to a wall sometimes...). Time will tell his learning style better, but I'm sure it will be mostly kinesthetic (he always has to "do it myself!"). Obviously we don't know about the baby:) So.... in an effort to not spend a fortune, I would LOVE to find a math curriculum that will work well for both of them. "The Math-Ignorant-Moms Book of Math for the Auditory and Kinesthetic Learners from Kindergarten through 12th Grade". Doesn't sound TOO complicated, does it?? lol:)

What would you recommend?

That sounds like BJU Math to me. On the up-side... if you decide you need the support of the DVD program for 8th grade and up, you can get it.

I *thought* I knew what I wanted.... CLE, but it is not the auditory/kinesthetic/visual type of math you are describing. After faltering around with MCP and SIngapore, we have landed on BJU and it appears (after 4 units) to be our "forever math" program. I LOVE how supportive the teacher's manual. It also follows the model I was taught in my elem ed methods class: Concrete, Pictorial, Equation. Very strong concept development and problem solving skills are taught, and there is extra practice or enrichment offered in the 3rd edition teacher's manual with the CD (Make sure you get third edition whenever possible).

IMO, it doesn't matter what you use as long as you are willing to learn along witth her. :). Use this opportunity increase your math skills and knowledge.

When I homeschooled I was pretty good with my basic operations but struggled with fractions, decimals, etc. and after going through the program with my ds I became very comfortable working the processes. I was amazed. I'm now tutoring math and I know the only reason I can is because of the years that I homeschooled.

Don't fear math just learn it :)

Since your daughter is only 4 why not start her with Saxon K math? It is completely scripted and there are NO worksheets. The learning that takes place in this course is auditory and hands on! My son loved working with all of the counters, money, tangrams, shapes, calendar activities etc. Saxon definitely holds your hand through math. It covers things at a little slower pace than some programs, but if you start Saxon K when your daughter is 4 you will be right there with everyone else. The worksheets that you use beginning in 1st grade are not colorful, but the auditory and hands on lessons helps make up for that. There is usually a little coloring involved in the early grades.

Good luck!

Angela

Since your daughter is only 4 why not start her with Saxon K math? It is completely scripted and there are NO worksheets. The learning that takes place in this course is auditory and hands on! My son loved working with all of the counters, money, tangrams, shapes, calendar activities etc. Saxon definitely holds your hand through math. It covers things at a little slower pace than some programs, but if you start Saxon K when your daughter is 4 you will be right there with everyone else. The worksheets that you use beginning in 1st grade are not colorful, but the auditory and hands on lessons helps make up for that. There is usually a little coloring involved in the early grades.

Good luck!

Angela

It has great manipulative exercises, which are good for most learning styles.

I wouldn't recommend Singapore, if you are not comfortable with math. It was the best fit for us, but it does not help you figure out how to teach her a concept if she's struggling to get it.

It has great manipulative exercises, which are good for most learning styles.

I wouldn't recommend Singapore, if you are not comfortable with math. It was the best fit for us, but it does not help you figure out how to teach her a concept if she's struggling to get it.

I totally agree with this! I think Singapore is a great program, but trying to *teach* it made my head spin and therefore nothing came across to my kids very well! We've recently switched to R&S Math, which is very straightforward, easy to teach. However, it doesn't have a lot to offer a very hands-on learner. Rightstart is good (we tried it too) but it's pretty teacher intensive and I got bogged down in the scripting.

Isn't that funny--I knew nothing about math--couldn't do anything in my head! (It was quite embarrassing, actually.)

But we have done Singapore and, man, have things changed! I found the HIG's indispensible, of course.

It worked very well for us--and I think I know why--the approach is quite analytical, and logical. That fit MY learning style to a T. I added in lots of manipulatives for my kinesthetic boy and lots of games for my girl.

However, in your case, it is probably best if you find something that works for you to teach--you can always "tweak" a curriculum for the kids but you can't teach a thing unless it speaks to you.

hth.

Good luck!

Angela

:iagree: I'm using it about 3 days a week with my pre-k, and he loves it! I've also heard good things about Right Start Math, but I don't have any personal experience with it. A friend of mine is using it with her 4-y-o, and she says they love it.

Just a thought to share......there is a huge difference between elementary math and high school math courses. I think you are forcing yourself into a corner that doesn't need to exist. Basically, all elemenatry math covers the basics of +/-/x/division/fractions/%/and decimals.

There is a natural break that occurs at the end of elementary sequences that allows for a switch to different a high school series. My favorite elementary math, Horizons, only goes through 6th grade. My favorite high school series, Foerster, does not have a corresponding elementary program.

Find what you like for elementary. Don't stress about high school math! :)

I'm not good at math either, I have taught Saxon K, 1, 2 and getting reading to start 3. I tried another program that wasn't scripted, it lasted about 2 wks. I went back to Saxon because it is well scripted and I know 100% without a doubt that I am teaching each concept thoroughly, which is important because each concept builds upon one another. I bought the manipulatives that go with K-3 and my children LOVE the hands on aspect of it. This has given me all the confidence in the world! Another thing I like is the fact that it is "pick up and go" KWIM?

Hope that Helps!

Dd has gone through RS B and most of C and we will continue on with it. Ds will be starting RS A this school year. It is teacher-intensive in that you can't just spend 5 mins. with the kiddo and then give them worksheets, but I love how it is all scripted and hands-on and very, very logical and organized in how it teaches things.

I'm not good at math either, I have taught Saxon K, 1, 2 and getting reading to start 3. I tried another program that wasn't scripted, it lasted about 2 wks. I went back to Saxon because it is well scripted and I know 100% without a doubt that I am teaching each concept thoroughly, which is important because each concept builds upon one another. I bought the manipulatives that go with K-3 and my children LOVE the hands on aspect of it. This has given me all the confidence in the world! Another thing I like is the fact that it is "pick up and go" KWIM?

:iagree: with Cornerstone Classical. We have used Saxon for K and 1st, tried a different Math program for 2nd and it was TERRIBLE. Now, we are back using Saxon 3 for the same reasons. It's easy to use, each concept is taught thoroughly and my ds loves the manipulatives. No more experimenting for us.

Sonja

ds (8)

I have a hard time with things that are scripted... maybe I need to just practice with it more?? lol:) I feel like I'm always losing my place! Then I get thrown off when she doesn't answer the question the way they expect the child to. But we're gonna do the sample lessons for RightStart and see how it suits us. I like how it looks, and I like how the lesson time went with the one we've done so far. I just have to see if I can work out the wordy teacher part to suit us!:)

There is a natural break that occurs at the end of elementary sequences that allows for a switch to different a high school series.

I didn't realize that. I guess I worry that if we switch, we might miss something important and I'll be too clueless to figure it out. Like say we switched in 7th grade and the books we were using didn't teach something until 7th grade, but the books we switched to had already taught it in 6th grade and assumed you knew. But I shouldn't worry about that?

We've finally settled on R&S & MUS with Singapore CWPs mixed in. My DD is very kinistetic. From the womb! lol So, I just got MUS for her. And all 3 of them are having a blast with the blocks, so I bought the teachers set of Beta-Delta for him to watch. Their skip counting CD is great too. I didn't like it much at first, but they LOVE it. She already has much of it memorized in the few weeks we've had it.

I stink at math. Algebra is lost on me.

I keep telling everyone that math is much easier the second time around. I remember beginning to struggle with math in 4th and 5th grade. Now that I've been through it with DS, I understand it perfectly! :)

We use Saxon. I have considered switching at least once a year but we continue to plug away at it because it gets the job done. This year I've added Life of Fred for DS(11).

DD (6) has sat at the table with us during school time since she was 2 1/2. She begged to do school so I printed out free worksheets for her to keep her busy. When she was ready for Kindergarten I took a look at the Saxon placement test and realized she had done it all already. So for K4 and K5 (she has a January birthday) she has been working on Saxon 1. She'll be finished with it sometime this fall, her first grade year. I never pushed her to do very much. At first I just let her work as long as she liked if she asked. Then once we were officially doing K, I had her do at least one page (either drill, worksheet or test) each day but she sometimes did more. This year she'll do the complete lesson each day but I don't think she'll mind because it's familiar.

Good luck.

Just a thought to share......there is a huge difference between elementary math and high school math courses. I think you are forcing yourself into a corner that doesn't need to exist. Basically, all elemenatry math covers the basics of +/-/x/division/fractions/%/and decimals.

There is a natural break that occurs at the end of elementary sequences that allows for a switch to different a high school series. My favorite elementary math, Horizons, only goes through 6th grade. My favorite high school series, Foerster, does not have a corresponding elementary program.

Find what you like for elementary. Don't stress about high school math! :)

I think this is an excellent point.

I have a hard time with things that are scripted... maybe I need to just practice with it more?? lol:) I feel like I'm always losing my place! Then I get thrown off when she doesn't answer the question the way they expect the child to. But we're gonna do the sample lessons for RightStart and see how it suits us. I like how it looks, and I like how the lesson time went with the one we've done so far. I just have to see if I can work out the wordy teacher part to suit us!:)

I hear that. It was very odd for me too at first, and I stuttered and stammered my way through the first few lessons. What helped me was to read through beforehand and refresh my memory of what we'd done, and then read through the lesson itself. Then, while she gets out the manipulatives, I re-scan the current lesson. Then, while we're doing the lesson, I'm just paraphrasing from memory and my own understanding of it, and glancing at the TM for cues.

I didn't realize that. I guess I worry that if we switch, we might miss something important and I'll be too clueless to figure it out. Like say we switched in 7th grade and the books we were using didn't teach something until 7th grade, but the books we switched to had already taught it in 6th grade and assumed you knew. But I shouldn't worry about that?

I switched from MUS to CLE math this year around the grade you're refering to. MUS hadn't really touched much on Geometry, so I had to do some remedial this summer before starting the 700 level. We're doing fine with CLE and we really like it. It's spiral. We'll prob switch later to Saxon and continue with the spiral approach.

Just FYI; it is poss to switch.

Kim