Menu

Just have to rant a bit... (jawm)

Mimm

My daughter just got back from her first day at public school, eighth grade. The decision to go to school was made by both of us and my husband and she had a good first day. I was going through her paperwork (syllabus from each class that needs to be signed by both me and her) and came across a basic questionnaire from her Spanish class. One of the questions was "Are you involved in any activities, clubs, groups outside of school?" And she wrote on there, "No, I basically stay at home and do nothing."

ARG!! :cursing:

Ok, yes, this might be basically true but it's also very misleading. This last school year I ran myself ragged taking them to TWO co-ops (almost no one I know does two co-ops and everyone told me I was insane... they were right) and had her in piano lessons and she was involved in church. And I had a baby in November and still managed to do all this. In May we finally gave into her and let her quit piano after four years. This summer after camp, she abruptly decided she needed a break from church. (We don't make our kids go and I get the reasons why she isn't going right now.) We'd been involved in one of those co-ops for three years. In the four years we've been homeschooling, I've had them in dance classes, art classes, basketball, robotics club, piano, orchestra (second instrument), swimming and more... I can't even remember all the things we've done. I've done everything I can to keep them in touch with friends and give them a social life. And while technically this summer she hasn't been involved in any regularly scheduled activities, this summer alone we went on a 4 day vacation with extended family, my mother came to town for a week and that involved a bunch of running around, we went to a nearby amusement park three times, she went on a week long camp out of state, she helped in VBS at church for a week, she's had two sleepovers at our house and she's getting together with friends this weekend to start a book club. Plus various running around shopping, swimming, etc.

Yes, I've tried to get in as much staying at home and doing nothing this summer, because after my school year, I needed it (was facing burnout in a bad way), but saying that she stays at home and does nothing is a VERY incomplete picture of our family life. And while I know I shouldn't let it bother me, I don't want her teachers thinking of me as one of those crazy isolating homeschoolers who don't let their kids out of their cages in the basement. ;) But at the same time, it's just a silly question on a questionnaire, it's not that big a deal and I know I shouldn't dwell on it. I didn't comment on it, and I don't plan to ask her to change it. But it's just making me go, Arg, really???

I would not sweat that at all.  It is highly unlikely the teachers even care and she'll get some new and different opportunities now in school.  I might talk to my kid about it to see what she meant though.  Did she mean  "yay, I have so much free time!"  or "wahh!  My parents never take me anywhere!".  3 months can feel like a long time to kids. 

My 13 year old is having a spectacularly whirlwind summer (many camps and activities.  He's at sleep away camp this week).  If he had nothing planned all summer, I'm sure he'd be going nuts by now.  Other kids might love that kind of set up.

But that's my point. Even though she's not in any regularly scheduled activities, we've done a lot of running around and seeing people this summer. She's an extrovert and I try to be as sensitive to that as possible, which is a lot of effort for my introverted self. And she's 13, so lately nothing I do is right or good enough. But that's a whole other rant. ;)

But it's probably quite true that a middle school teacher is probably not going to take a comment like that too seriously.

I totally understand. I have one child who would probably write the same thing even though she plays tennis and piano and...

The Spanish teacher was probably just trying to get ideas for vocab the students would be interested in talking about. I do it with my math classes to get ideas for word problems. I don't make any judgements.

But that's my point. Even though she's not in any regularly scheduled activities, we've done a lot of running around and seeing people this summer. She's an extrovert and I try to be as sensitive to that as possible, which is a lot of effort for my introverted self. And she's 13, so lately nothing I do is right or good enough. But that's a whole other rant. ;)

But it's probably quite true that a middle school teacher is probably not going to take a comment like that too seriously.

The bolded says it all. :D  Quit trying so hard.

Sorry, but I had to laugh. It reminds me of this scenario.

Me: School kids for 4 hours, do all regular subjects, read alouds and some fun activities. Take kids to park and library.

DH comes home from work: So what did you kids learn/ do today

Kids: Nothing

LOL..its normal...the teacher won't pay any attention to it I promise.