Menu

Suggest a version of Beowulf to me for a rising 5th grader

Momof3littles

He reads well above grade level.  I have a few more purchases to make and am hemming and hawing and out of brainpower regarding what version I would like to use.  I have my SOTW 2 AG open, but reading amazon reviews it is difficult to decide on a version.

Please suggest a good version that might be appropriate for a logic stage student so I can stop perseverating.   How is Heaney?  I think that might be a decent option for us?

... If you're concerned just read the first portion aloud and gloss over the prostitute and bedchamber parts. They're fairly small and not important for the story line at his age.

Okay, I give up. I cannot at all remember these elements in Beowulf… Where do these occur?? (The only thing I could think of was the temple prostitute in Gilgamesh.)

Okay, I give up. I cannot at all remember these elements in Beowulf… Where do these occur?? (The only thing I could think of was the temple prostitute in Gilgamesh.)

Ha! You're spot on. I had Gilgamesh on the brain. Beowulf isn't as risky. Clearly I need to go make another pot of coffee!

We like this one http://www.amazon.com/Beowulf-Kevin-Crossley-Holland/dp/0192723693/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407874500&sr=8-1&keywords=beowulf+crossley

I guess it depends on how whitewashed you want your Beowulf to be.  The Crossley Holland version is a short (46 pages)  engaging narrative and the black ink illustrations reflect what happens in the story.  Monsters look like monsters and don't wear clothes.  Battle scenes include decapitations. It's like a nightmare.  My 8 year old wasn't bothered by it, but some people would be.

My 11yo is currently reading the Nye version. when he was younger, he read the Rumford picture book. For a 9/10yo, if this is a first introduction to Beowulf, I may would choose Rumford. The pictures are fabulous and it uses words from the original. If this is a second pass, I would go with Nye. Save Heaney for later.

HTH-

Mandy

Hi again :) I have the Heany but was planning on doing that one as a read aloud, mostly because I've never read Beowolf myself and we have enough independent reads this semester.

And, you can enjoy the late Seamus Heany himself reading his translation; takes a little over 2 hours:

-- beginning of work, through fight with Grendel, and ends with Grendel's mother stealing back the arm

-- starts with Beowulf diving down into the swamp after Beowulf's mother, thru end of the work

Or watch the animated adaptation (30 minutes), narrated by Derek Jacobi:

Or enjoy a few short excerpts of Benjamin Bagby performing Beowulf in the original language:

Opening Lines

Battle

Grendel's Ambush

Our library had one by Rosemary Sutcliff (the same author of Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus) and I really liked it!  It's out of print, but I was able to find one on amazon for about $7.  I'm planning on having both my 5th & 7th graders read it.

We have this version:

http://www.amazon.com/Stories-Beowulf-Told-Children-Marshall/dp/149279533X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407886816&sr=8-3&keywords=beowulf+as+told+to+the+children

The vocab in it is still pretty challenging though. Maybe because of how old it is?  I don't know.  Both kids did fine with it though.

This one is also available as a librivox recording.