Menu

Desperately need a self instructional Algebra 2 program

Guest estrogen5

Guest estrogen5

My 16 year old daughter home schooled in the past but has been in public school since middle school.   She has become very ill and is going to have to be hospitalized in another state.  The hospital allows some time for schooling but not much.  Many kids bring work from their local schools but since we will be out of state,  I am required to provide any work that she is to do.   I have no idea how long my child will be in the hospital but it is certain that she will miss the beginning of school.    Not sure if she will return to public school when she gets back or not;   we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

I would like my daughter to use her instructional time at the hospital to work on Algebra 2.   Math is the only subject that worries me about her missing or falling behind.    Is there a decent program that is self instructional?   She will not have access to a computer of DVD player so anything that utilizes things like that wouldn't be an option.   I need an Algebra 2 program/book that is written to the student and is clear.

Thanks for any help!

Teaching textbooks might be a good option. The cds just say exactly what is in the book so you wouldn't need them. Wishing you all well. I have found that my dc don't do much work when they are away. Send the work but focus on her health , not how much school she misses. That can be fixed later.  :grouphug:

Teaching textbooks might be a good option. The cds just say exactly what is in the book so you wouldn't need them. Wishing you all well. I have found that my dc don't do much work when they are away. Send the work but focus on her health , not how much school she misses. That can be fixed later. :grouphug:

Doesn't TT require a computer?

Foerster's Algebra and Trigonometry book, or even the second half of Foerster's Algebra 1 book would probably keep her up to date with a beginning Algebra 2 course.  You would need the student textbook and a solutions manual.  The teacher edition is a nice bonus but not necessary.   And 

http://mathwithoutborders.com/?page_id=9 is available should you decide to continue with it for the rest of the year.

HTH

Look at Fresh Approach, too.  It's a self-contained workbook - no loose papers to lose track off.  All she'll need is the book, pencil, and maybe a calculator.  http://aplusses.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=7

However, I would also say that math requires a lot of focus and concentration -- things that might be in short supply when in the hospital and not feeling well.  I would recommend adding a second subject, just to give her a break from math when she is not up for it.  Perhaps poetry?  Reading and writing poetry is easy to do in small bites. 

This one is Algebra 1, not Algebra 2.

You could use Lial's Intermediate Algebra. We bought a clean used copy for just a few dollars and used it for Algebra 2. All the teaching is in the book and so are the answers to all the odd problems. There are lots of examples and it is easy to follow.

Best wishes during this difficult time. 

I tend to agree that math requires so much effort and concentration. I would almost recommend doing another algebra 1 program rather that algebra 2. That would reinforce concepts and keep skills fresh without being overtaxing.

There will be time in the future. Don't feel like it will be the end of the world if algebra 2 doesn't get done this year. 

My dd wasn't hospitalized but was often too sick to work during some points in her high school years. She's now in college and doing very well despite all my worries about her health and academics.

This might be rather oddball, but have you tried contacting children's hospitals for suggestions?  Or even organizations that work with juvenile detention?  Just trying to think of other settings that might have a similar need to help students maintain coursework in more of an old fashioned correspondence school style class.