Menu

eggs for a crowd?

PIE!

How about a savory asparagus strata?

You could do it with mushrooms, spinach or asparagus ... and ham or bacon.  It's nice because you can make it ahead. Oops, I guess that would be tonight. LOL

Or if desserts are welcome, every pound cake recipe I've ever seen has used a truckload of eggs.

And if you're REALLY feeling ambitious, you can make a lasagna.  With the egg noodles you'd also need to make. :lol:

My quiches always turn out soggy :(

I've never tried a strata before. I'll put one on the menu for next week.

With all these ideas I might just be able to get through my fridge full of eggs! :)

CRUSTLESS quiche!  :)  No sogginess!  Crust is way more work and adds no nutritional value anyway.

CRUSTLESS quiche!  :)  No sogginess!  Crust is way more work and adds no nutritional value anyway.

It's the insides of my quiches that turn out soggy, not the crust. Would going crustless solve that problem too?  I'm normally a good cook, but I can't manage a good quiche for some reason.

I make quiche often. How many eggs do you put in? I've seen recipes that only call for three or four eggs for a 9" pie, but I make mine with 6 to 8 eggs. I also cook it longer than the recipe calls for, because DH likes it firm. Add more eggs to your recipe next time, and cook it until it is slightly browned on top to make sure it is cooked all the way through. My recipe also calls for some sour cream to replace some of the milk, which makes it less liquidy (I cobbled a couple of recipes together to make it the way we like it). You can cover the edges of the crust with foil if they start to overbrown.

I use a premade pie crust, which I prebake at 450 for 8 minutes before adding the filling, to make sure the crust is not soggy on the bottom. Then I reduce the heat to 325, and after adding the filling, the quiche cooks for 45-55 minutes, until I think it looks done.

I use a quiche pan, so if you use a regular pie plate, it might be too much filling, but here is my recipe:

6 eggs

1/2 c sour cream

3/4 c milk

1 1/2 c shredded cheese

6 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped

1/4 t salt

Beat the eggs, sour cream and milk, then stir in the cheese. Sprinkle the bacon across the bottom of the unfilled but partly baked pie crust, then pour the filling in and place in the oven. I also sprinkle a dried herb mix on top before baking, just because Mom used to. You can substitute ham or a veg of your choice, and you can use whatever cheese you have on hand.

This serves a family of six for dinner with no leftovers (my kids love it).

Some people like their quiche kind of soft and fluffy (which is okay for me), so your recipe might be designed for it to come out that way. It might not be that you are doing something wrong.

ETA -- the Pilsbury crust is slightly small for my quiche pan, and it shrinks down a bit when baked, so our eggs puff up above the crust instead of having the crust showing all along the edge on the top. If you are looking for that crusty top edge, you'll need to use a regular pie pan instead of a quiche pan.

Two more things:

This quiche will be very firm. If you like it softer, just reduce the cooking time.

Also, it freezes very well. I often make two and freeze one for later, especially near the holidays, since we have quiche for our Christmas breakfast every year, and preparing it ahead means one less thing to cook on the actual holiday. Thaw it out, heat it up, and it tastes like you just made it.

I always line the dough with the cheese then put in my meat or veggies and then the eggs. The cheese keeps the crust from going soggy and tastes wonderful melted against it. I also use puff pastry. My kids love onion cheese quiche.