Menu

silly pet peave: corn illustrations

maize

I know this is silly, but I notice over and over again illustrations of corn stalks and ears in children's books that are wildly inaccurate. Ears growing at the top of the corn stalks, ears with no husks...oh, and even worse: illustrated children's Bibles that show the "corn" in Joseph's dream in Egypt as American corn/maize. Didn't exist in ancient Egypt...not sure what grain was being referred to, but wheat or barley would be a reasonable guess.

Really the whole thing shouldn't irk me so much, I just happen to like corn/maize and dislike ignorance :p

it's so unreasonable of you to expect illustrations to be accurate.  :001_tt2: many painters have things pretty far off base too.  it's hard to draw pictures of things they haven't actually seen . . . . . .

Yeah I'd flunk in the corn drawing department.  I don't know what it is supposed to look like.

I do - I've walked through many a cornfield. . . . . ;p  even spotted one growing in my friends flower bed when it was 6" tall.  we had no idea how it got there . .  .she allowed it to grow.

I cannot see a single attached thumbnail.

Boo.

Hm, maybe someone can give me a tutorial on how to embed images! When I add them as attachments they just show up as thumbnails, I'm sure there's a better way. Do the pictures show up if you click in the thumbnail icon?

We recently read aloud Call of the Wild, and the dog described in the book was not at all like the one on the front cover.  I found it very disturbing and discussed it with the kids.

Is it really that difficult to just hit it somewhere in the ballpark?  Not expecting a home run every time but passably close would be great.

Isn't that because in King Jame's English corn was not maize but grain?

American corn wouldn't have been very familiar at all at the time, and the term corn just meant grain. I think it is still used in that generic sense outside of North America. I think the settlers here started calling maize Indian corn, which would have been the same as saying Indian grain, but eventually it just got shortened to corn and that word lost its generic sense.

I know this is silly, but I notice over and over again illustrations of corn stalks and ears in children's books that are wildly inaccurate. Ears growing at the top of the corn stalks, ears with no husks...oh, and even worse: illustrated children's Bibles that show the "corn" in Joseph's dream in Egypt as American corn/maize. Didn't exist in ancient Egypt...not sure what grain was being referred to, but wheat or barley would be a reasonable guess.

Really the whole thing shouldn't irk me so much, I just happen to like corn/maize and dislike ignorance :p

That would drive me completely insane too.

I do not think "corn" is mentioned at all - in the King James Bible it mentions ears.

You're right! And American illustrators must just automatically think "ears of corn" since that is most familiar...

Ah well, "ears" or "corn", neither could mean maize in the context of ancient Egypt :p