Menu

Bizarre experience at health clinic yesterday

Anne in CA

So to enroll my dd (14) in school she needed one more Dt shot. I took her to the nearest clinic, in an area that people joke about being back woods, but come on. They gave her SEVERAL of the sort of forms that we discussed recently that were all social worker questions, they gave me some of those also, and we just filled them out rather than argue, even though dd thought the questions were stupid and nosy. Since no one in the office seemed very bright I left off many things I didn't think they could be trusted with knowing, like do we have firearms and driver's license numbers. These were not people you could have a reasonable conversation with. Everyone repeated things at least twice, if not three or four times and they talked so slowly I nearly screamed. I can't believe any of the people I met completed nursing school. If you think I am being mean, I assure you that is a gracious way to put it.

It took 2 and 1/2 hours to get the shot she needed, and even though I had been very clear on the phone that the shot was the reason for the visit, they tried to talk me out of getting the shot NOW and coming back later. They had no good reason they would share at that time so I thought they were just drumming up business. When she had the shot they told me that the refrigerator where they keep the shots had not been working correctly and they were not sure the shot was not compromised.

OMG, people! This is a perfect example of medical people who seriously need to just do one thing. There was no one in that office capable of multi tasking already, and all the social worker stuff really distracted from telling me about the shot before they gave it to her. They are so lucky I did not go ballistic. Which I would have but since we own a restaurant not too far from them I can't give these people a juicy story about what I b**** I can be. I just took lots of deep breaths and got out of there as fast as I could. 

Do you have a CVS pharmacy near you?  You only need to bring the yellow immunization card and insurance card and the person at the clinic there does it quick and easy. No forms to fill.

http://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/resources/back-to-school

My boys just had their TB tests done for school and summer camps.  It was a quick 5 min thing at the pediatrics clinic. We only have to fill up those "social worker" questions forms for well child checkups, not for shots or TB tests.

ETA:

Other places with immunization services

Rite Aid https://www.riteaid.com/pharmacy/services/immunizations

Safeway/Vons http://www.safeway.com/ShopStores/Immunizations.page

Walgreens (link in Pippen #4)

Do you have a CVS pharmacy near you?  You only need to bring the yellow immunization card and insurance card and the person at the clinic there does it quick and easy. No forms to fill.

http://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/resources/back-to-school

My boys just had their TB tests done for school and summer camps.  It was a quick 5 min thing at the pediatrics clinic. We only have to fill up those "social worker" questions forms for well child checkups, not for shots or TB tests.

Thanks for this! One of my sons needs the meningitis vax but we're having a hard time fitting an appt into our schedule. I didn't know CVS could do it.

OP, I'm sorry. That sounds like a nightmare.

When she had the shot they told me that the refrigerator where they keep the shots had not been working correctly and they were not sure the shot was not compromised.

ZOMG!!!

I hope your dd doesn't have a reaction to the vaccine. You need to report this place to whoever licenses clinics in your state. They could seriously harm or kill someone.

Guest submarines

Someone has to graduate last in the class.  You might have encountered a herd of those people. 

Yeah, like in that Seinfelf episode. :lol:

Someone has to graduate last in the class.  You might have encountered a herd of those people. 

I wouldn't have hired any of those people to wash dishes after spending less than two minutes with them and somehow they were running a medical clinic???? I swear after a certain point I thought I was being punked by Ellen.

Is there any danger?  Can you report them, like a previous poster mentioned?  Goodness, how can they inject a child with a vaccine that might have been compromised?  The fridge where their MEDICATIONS and VACCINATIONS are stored isn't working properly?  And they are still using them?  Seriously?

It seems that nowadays when you get settled in with a clinic or doctor for the first time, they have a very long, standard questionnaire that they do.  Hopefully your next clinic visit there will be short and get right to the point.