Menu

Betsy-Tacy! (Spoilers)

kubiac

I'm reading the Betsy-Tacy books for the first time as an adult, and I'm astonished by how much they are making me cry. I burst into tears when I read that Tacy's baby sister died, and now again when the girls asked Naifi could be their Queen of Summer. "Julia said soberly, 'They think a lot of being Americans, don't they?'" It's all written in such a matter-of-fact way I can't believe I'm having these emotional reactions, but maybe it's an excellent example of showing rather than telling.

Are the teenage stories as good as the girlhood books? Should I keep going?

I love the first 3 books. I think the chapter where Tacy's sister died is one of the most beautiful in children's literature, and actually used it for a theological reflection in my EfM class.

I read them to my dd. At the time, we didn't go further into the series. I wanted to avoid the Ouija board use in one of them (it could easily be skipped over or edited on the fly if it bothers someone) and we just sort of started to read other things, and then she stopped wanted me to read to her.

I think they are classics for a reason, but, like other series, some are going to float your boat and some aren't. You just have to read them for yourself, IMO.

I think that they are all worth reading. I loved them as a kid (I found them when I was about 12) and all 3 of my girls love them as well.

Betsy's crushes and struggles with science and wanting to be pretty and write well in High school and her difficulties in college and amazing trip to Europe, getting published and, of course, true love and marriage, are all so...real, kwim? Betsy is my friend. I like her better than Anne Shirley!

I loved them all, and read them when I was young.  I especially loved the high school years, and every time I make fudge, I think of Betsy.  BTW, we named one of our cats, "Tib".

Our cat is named Lady Jane Grey, after Betsy's cat!

I'm going through the first three for the third time with my last two. My son is as enthralled as my little girl and reminds me to read their chapter every night. I've never gone on to the high school books because my kids have always lost interest when they start growing up, but Diane especially has inspired me to read them for myself.

I've loved Betsy-Tacy since childhood!  Didn't get into the high school books until I was actually in high school [and then had to sneak over to the kids section to check out those books. "Um.....these are for my little sister.  Yeah.....that's it."]

I read the first four books aloud to my own children and created two BT lovers [the third child thought they were silly.  She's my sci-fi lover]

Did you know there's a Betsy-Tacy songbook out now? http://www.amazon.com/Betsy-Tacy-Songbook-Valley-Lovelace/dp/0964084627/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404049225&sr=8-1&keywords=betsy+tacy+song

I loved the high school books because it showed her making unwise choices (not just being sugar sweet all the time) , having consequences and resolving to do things better the next time.  It seemed healthier and more realistic than just being ever good or having everything turn out fine in the end. 

I hadn't even heard of the series until I was an adult. 

I'm going through the first three for the third time with my last two. My son is as enthralled as my little girl and reminds me to read their chapter every night. I've never gone on to the high school books because my kids have always lost interest when they start growing up, but Diane especially has inspired me to read them for myself.

My son enjoyed them too - he was about the same age as yours. But he's never had any objection to girl books.

I didn't discover these until I was an adult either, and absolutely loved them.  They get even better as you go.  I love how the reading level and events mature as Betsy matures.  All of my girls read them and loved them too.  Honestly, they are the best series like that that we have read.  We visited the real homes of Betsy and Tacy too (the characters are based on the lives of the author and her best friends).

Thanks for the spoiler .lol. I have been thinking about reading these to DD lately but now after you mentioned the death I think I will skip it and just let DD read them herself....its something I can't handle right now myself.

DD has been requesting I buy her books for Christmas for the first time ever ...which is unusual becuase she usually asks for toys. When I questioned her on it she said..."Well I just realised I really love books". That nearly made me cry when she said that...it's been a long struggle to get to this place but with perseverence we finally arrived.

Anyway...We have an excellent library system and normally borrow whatever we want...and I'm trying to keep things to a minimum around here so I don't have a clue what would be a worthwhile book to buy. I think I might buy her this one...so many people seem to like it that it seems worth keeping and one she might read more then once. Thanks.

Thanks for the spoiler .lol. I have been thinking about reading these to DD lately but now after you mentioned the death I think I will skip it and just let DD read them herself....its something I can't handle right now myself.

DD has been requesting I buy her books for Christmas for the first time ever ...which is unusual becuase she usually asks for toys. When I questioned her on it she said..."Well I just realised I really love books". That nearly made me cry when she said that...it's been a long struggle to get to this place but with perseverence we finally arrived.

Anyway...We have an excellent library system and normally borrow whatever we want...and I'm trying to keep things to a minimum around here so I don't have a clue what would be a worthwhile book to buy. I think I might buy her this one...so many people seem to like it that it seems worth keeping and one she might read more then once. Thanks.

I found the first four books in an edition called The Betsy-Tacy Treasury. It seems to take the girls from age five to about 12. 

I love books about happy childhoods, and Betsy-Tacy more than qualifies.