Menu

Easy Dinner for 22?

Paige

Please help! I am responsible for making dinner for 22 people. I have never cooked for that many. Please help me think of something easy and delicious to make. I'd like to keep it simple and not too expensive. 

There will be about 17 adult sized appetites, and as far as I know there are no diet restrictions except we must avoid all dairy. We also will want to avoid things like cream of anything soups, or other processed stuff. I know some of the people don't eat that at home. They'd eat it if I made it, but they wouldn't like it- and the cream stuff have dairy anyway. I will have access to the kitchen in a rental house that is supposed to be fully equipped, but in my experience those don't really have all the stuff that my kitchen has. I think there will be a small grill. I'd like to try out any recipes on a smaller scale at my house first to make sure I'm good at it before I go. DH will be able to help me but that's my only helper. 

Does the rental house have a grill?  I'd go simple with hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, potato and/or macaroni salad, and fruit and vegetable trays.

Actually, I'd go with pot luck, lol, but I don't know if that's an option for you.  But I wouldn't want to slave in a kitchen for 22 on what sounds like a summer vacation. Anyone can take turns manning a grill and everything else can be made in advance.

Italian beef sandwiches in the crockpot are easy . You might want to do two crockpots worth. You could even do them ahead at home and just reheat when you get there. Be sure to do a substantial bun as regular hamburger buns fall apart when all that beef goodness hits them. If you have a Costco they have a large pack of wonderful Italian rolls . Side salads of your choice could be pasta, fruit, big lettuce salad or just lots if raw veggies and chips. For dessert I would make bars or cookies ahead of time.

Is this a vacation/beach gathering? A New England claim boil is easy! You would need a couple of very large pots, and a source for little neck clams.

Grilled fish with a pretty salad, crusty bread.

Paella /rice/stew dish with chorizo & shrimp -use crusty bread to soak up sauce.

Homemade pizza - buy the dough & sauce already made and add various toppings

Appetizers of various olives, fruity olive oil, hummus, feta cheese, pita chips or pita

Roasted or grilled veggie kabobs

Italian beef sandwiches in the crockpot are easy . You might want to do crockpots worth. You could even do them ahead at home and just reheat when you get there. Be sure to do a substantial bun as regular hamburger buns fall apart when all that beef goodness hits them. If you have a Costco they have a large pack of wonderful Italian rolls . Side salads of your choice could be pasta, fruit, big lettuce salad or just lots if raw veggies and chips. For dessert I would make bars or cookies ahead of time.

Yep. This.

Meatballs in the crockpot are easy for sandwiches. 

We'll be coming from far away and staying in the rental for a week. Nobody asked me what I wanted- I was assigned this task and must be gracious and go along with it w/ no complaints. I want to do a nice job. 

I don't think the rental will have a crock pot. I may be able to bring mine but I'd rather not. I don't want to risk it breaking during travel. Maybe I could cook some meat in a large dutch oven and then shred it? Would that be enough?

I think we'll have a grill but I don't know how large it will be. For sides, I was thinking of roasted vegetables and a fruit tray, but roasted veggies may be difficult if my oven is full of meat. I'll probably buy the dessert. I usually love making desserts but doing everything in one evening w/just DH would be too much. 

I'm not sure on the clams...I don't think we've ever had them without being deep fried from a restaurant. We might be too picky for that. I never buy them at home because it grosses me out to see "fresh" seafood as far inland as we live. 

I'd like to just order pizza. :)

Why not just order pizza? :)

Eta: no dairy. Oops! So never mind my 'homemade' pizza suggestion.

And don't overlook the ham suggestion, or the idea of a roast chicken you can dress up with sliced lemon rings, garlic, and some rosemary. Add yellow rice, pretty salad, crusty bread and you are a hero. And true, seafood inland might seem squicky. For me it's a food that screams, 'Summer!" :)

It sounds like everyone was assigned a meal? Cooking once that week for 22 is better than cooking every meal for a small family in a shared vacation rental kitchen.

I'd do spaghetti and meatballs. Easy and not expensive. You can add some salad and bread if you want.

If you make meatballs, it would be easier/less messy to cook them in the oven. Brush them olive oil and they will brow. Turn them once or twice. If you want to avoid making a zillion meatballs, you could make bolognese sauce instead.

Do you know the name of the resort/rental. Can you call and ask how large the grill is etc?

I really like the taco idea! It would involve less actual cooking and the picky people could fix it how they want. I'd do spaghetti, but I have an idea that someone else will already be doing a pasta themed night.

Or a potato bar? Would that be lame? I could fit a ton of potatoes in the oven. I'm not sure if DH and the other men would consider that a meal.

I'd do a taco bar or a baked potato bar. Last time I served a bunch of people (only 10), a taco bar was perfect. I had soft corn, hard and flour tortillas, refried beans and I cooked up some black beans as well, ground hamburger meat (and I did veggie crumbles as well), then bowls of shredded lettuce, guacamole, salsa, hot sauce, etc. You could even grill up some fish and make a quick slaw for fish tacos which are always a hit! 

For a potato bar, bake up lots of potatoes and have lots of toppings! I think tacos might be a bit easier though and easier to avoid dairy with them.

If you opt to do the taco bar, you could serve either black beans or refried beans, possibly along with some spanish rice as sides.  I would also consider having some sort of a cut fruit tray with any of the following: cantaloupe or watermelon wedges, pineapple slices, small bunches of grapes... whatever to add a bit of variety to the meal.  IMHO, tacos,beans. rice, fruit, and dessert sounds great for a vacation dinner!  (Especially for those who aren't cooking!)   :thumbup1:

We'll be coming from far away and staying in the rental for a week. Nobody asked me what I wanted- I was assigned this task and must be gracious and go along with it w/ no complaints. I want to do a nice job. 

I don't think the rental will have a crock pot. I may be able to bring mine but I'd rather not. I don't want to risk it breaking during travel. Maybe I could cook some meat in a large dutch oven and then shred it? Would that be enough?

Dutch oven works great.  I have done them both ways.  I would seriously want to enjoy my vacation, so i would do the meat ahead of time and travel with it frozen, on ice if that was possible.  But yes, you can cook it in a dutch oven on top of the stove, or in the oven.

If you need a recipe, just ask.  I have several.