Menu

If you have been following my housekeeper posts, new question

Excelsior! Academy

If I remember correctly you didn't fire her because of the price. You fired her because she brought her daughter to work with her and didn't do a good job at what she was supposed to do.

That's what I was thinking, too.

I'm also thinking that if she is willing to work for less money, she plans to put a lot less time and effort into the job -- and if her work wasn't good enough at full price, why would anyone reasonably expect her to do a better job for a discounted price?

I can't understand why this is even being considered. Did the woman call with a sob story about how she needs the money? Even if she did, my feeling is that if she knew she needed the money, she should have gone out of her way to do a consistently good job so she wouldn't have gotten fired.

I would definitely not re-hire her at any price.

Guest submarines

So you originally hired her to do a section of the house and then it got extended to a bigger section of the house? How did that happen? (I'm just trying to understand the dynamics here.)

After reading your back story with this lady I wouldn't hire her back. There is no point in having someone come clean, even if it is less of the house when they are not doing a thorough job and that was your biggest issue before from what I read. Move on and find someone who you won't have to remind and watch. I can't believe she was taking 3 hours on a house as big as yours, she must have really been cutting corners!

Find a cleaner who meets your needs, meets them the first time you hire them, and stays consistent.

I would not rehire her. If she thinks it's about the money because you found it easier to let her go that way... Fine. But just tell her, "no thanks, it just won't work for us at this time."

So you originally hired her to do a section of the house and then it got extended to a bigger section of the house? How did that happen? (I'm just trying to understand the dynamics here.)

Cleaning companies around here generally charge much more (2-3x normal rate) for the first cleaning.  I had her clean 1/2 of the house the first time so I could afford the price.  When she offered a price that seemed reasonable for the entire house I agreed assuming she would rotate through some of the sections that had not been cleaned yet. 

Tiny, insignificant clarification, she brought her 6 year old granddaughter.

After talking a bit with dh we've decided it is time to move on.  Thank you all.  It is encouraging to have the same consensus here.