Menu

If a local homeschool book shop with lots of inventory left were closing its doors in a couple of weeks so everything is 50-75% off...

For what would you scour the shelves -- if you have most everything you need for the grammar stage, but thought it may be a good idea to plan a little ahead for the logic and rhetoric stages -- with these great prices being offered?

What priceless resource would you seek to find, regardless of the copyright year or whether it's the current edition?

What extra(s) would make it in to your basket?

Firstly I'll go for foreign language materials regardless of whether they are dictionaries, curriculum or story books.

Then I would see if there are any reference books in my kids area of interests.

My hubby would gladly help me check for any literature classics that we like. We would keep a lookout for a good comprehensive dictionary too.

On Writing Well (Zinsser)

I'd want to at least look at Hewitt's Conceptual Physics and Conceptual Chemistry.

a world atlas, if we didn't already have one

a Warriner's for grammar reference, if we didn't already have one

at least one nice art history book

a law/civics book if I saw a good one

I'd purchase select reference resources. If they had the OUP history books at a good price, I'd snap those up.

The only textbook like things I would purchase ahead of time are ones in series that I absolutely know we use and like: Rod and Staff, Singapore Math, Veritas Press history cards, etc.  I've wasted so much money on texts we've never used because I couldn't resist the "bargain" price.  They still look great & I'd love to use some of them, but there's not enough time to do everything.

Stumbled across this thread late last night as I sat in a hotel in Montana. Just so happened we were finishing our drive from Minnesota to Oregon the next day—through Spokane. We visited the store and found some good stuff. Saxon Alg 2 and Intermediate Logic were items I knew we'd use. DH bought some Hebrew studies material and Latin stuff. Some other items because they were a good deal. We probably would have spent more money if our twin toddlers were more interested in shopping for curriculum. :)

Erica in OR

Stumbled across this thread late last night as I sat in a hotel in Montana. Just so happened we were finishing our drive from Minnesota to Oregon the next day—through Spokane. We visited the store and found some good stuff. Saxon Alg 2 and Intermediate Logic were items I knew we'd use. DH bought some Hebrew studies material and Latin stuff. Some other items because they were a good deal. We probably would have spent more money if our twin toddlers were more interested in shopping for curriculum. :)

Erica in OR

You mean twin toddlers didn't find that exciting?

A homeschool store I visited in Florida had a small play area and the children of the owners sometimes played with small children. Family business, extending shopping hours, win win. It appeared the children did some schoolwork when not helping with the store or entertaining restless toddlers.

You mean twin toddlers didn't find that exciting?

A homeschool store I visited in Florida had a small play area and the children of the owners sometimes played with small children. Family business, extending shopping hours, win win. It appeared the children did some schoolwork when not helping with the store or entertaining restless toddlers.

Sounds like a great store!

We were so much hoping there would be a play area there. Our three older kids did us a great service trying to entertain them, but it only lasted so long. I overheard the lady behind on the counter on the phone answering someone's question about whether kids come to the store—she said something like older kids typically sit and do schoolwork or read, but that younger kids were a toss-up.

Erica in OR

I'd look for interesting history and literature books in the time period we were studying, math books in your current curriculum, Classical Academic Press books, foreign language, such as Latin, logic books, a Warriner's grammar reference book, some other good reference books, and at those prices, I might try for some Veritas Omnibus books to have on hand for high school discussions.  We are major book people, esp. history, so I'd go for history/lierature books, mostly.  I'd also go for some art resources, like Artistic Pursuits and Michael Clay Thompson language arts books.

The Homeschool Book Shop

I picked up the following items at bargain prices.  :thumbup1:

VideoText Algebra Complete DVD set —  So I'll be selling a complete (A-F) VHS set, and partial (A-C) VHS set. Anyone interested? 

R&S English 8 & 9 (Book 1)

Omnibus I & II

WC by Spielvogel

WH by Spielvogel/Duiker

Today and Monday are their final days open!

Oh well. I might as well confess. I went to the OP's blog to see if I could figure out where she is. No dice. I was envisioning a IWTM Road Trip!

Were you also envisioning us peacefully sharing out all the bargain-basement items in a peaceful, well-ordered fashion? Hahaha

The Homeschool Book Shop

I picked up the following items at bargain prices.  :thumbup1:

VideoText Algebra Complete DVD set —  So I'll be selling a complete (A-F) VHS set, and partial (A-C) VHS set. Anyone interested? 

R&S English 8 & 9 (Book 1)

Omnibus I & II

WC by Spielvogel

WH by Spielvogel/Duiker

Today and Monday are their final days open!

AAAAGGGHHHH!  I'm only just discovering this thread late at night on June 30th!  My sister lives in WA, I could have sent her over to Spokane to snag books for me.  AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I'm glad you found some good things, OP!