Menu

2nd day off coffee....ugh

HollyDay

I felt like I had the flu when I quit coffee.  I NEVER expected to feel as bad as I did (however it reinforced the fact that I needed to quit.)  It does get better.  I did end up taking some Excedrin (primarily for the caffeine) to get me through.  Good luck!

Felt I needed to come back and apologize for my avatar!!!  It is from my coffee days (and I do still treat myself occasionally!)

LOL!

OP -- oh dear, I feel your pain.  I have been on a major sweet tea/soda/coffee bender.  For like...a year? :o   Tomorrow, I am going cold turkey.  For at least a month.  

I'll admit that I'm a little scared.:p

If I ever go off coffee, I will need to be in rehab or at least a hotel by myself.  I am just flat out mean if I don't have my morning coffee. I don't drink coffee all day long or anything, but it would be very difficult for me to give up my morning coffee.

But I did give up sweet tea, which I used to think was unimaginable.

I hope it's getting easier for you.

I have a Keurig, and just splurged for some half-caff cups. Coffee actually makes me more tired than awake, but I love the ritual. I tried going cold turkey and on day 2 I had a migraine and slept all afternoon. So I am going to use the half-caff for 12 days before switching to decaf. I'm on day 3, and so far so good.

You can also do it slowly by combining caffeinated coffee with decaf and gradually increasing the proportion of decaf to caff.

This is what I did with no issues. 1/4 decaf to 3/4 caf then 1/2 decaf, 1/2 caf then 3/4 decaf to 1/4 caf then full on decaf. I did it fairly gradually.

I agree that for me it was more the "ritual" of the coffee than the coffee itself.  I switched to herbal teas and now my ritual includes a lovely whistling tea kettle.  I think it was the thought that I am stopping, preparing a warm beverage, taking care of myself, etc.

Hiw are you doing, HollyDay? It's day three for me and the headache is ramping up. It's tempting to brew a cup of coffee but I don't have any decaf in the house!

Are you feeling okay?

How about a little Coke or tea?

I am on day 5, I think, drinking one cup of half-caff in the morning. My head isn't achy anymore .... when I'm done with my 12-pack I will step down to decaf. Really, coffee isn't good for my teeth or my heartburn, so I should just quit altogether. :*(

• 2 weeks later...

Not the OP, but I finished my half-caff a few days ago and had a couple days with decaf, and then nothing. It's hot, so hot drinks don't sound good, but I wonder if I'm just not craving the caffeine anymore?

My acid reflux is better, and I'm not so sleepy in the mornings now. I actually stay more awake if I *don't* drink coffee or eat breakfast! Weird.