Menu

I know this has been asked a MILLION times, but... (recipe related)

StaceyinLA

Can you please share a quick, easy, no sugar, paleo-ish (doesn't have to be strict, but preferably no glutenous grains involved), recipe? We are getting back to our no grain, no sugar roots (heehee), and dd is coming over to make menu plans this evening. I need some fresh, new ideas...

Thanks!

We eat a lot of main dish salads with homemade dressings, roasted veggies in olive oil (carrots, cauliflower, brussel sprouts etc), grilled meat or fish. If I am grilling I tend to grill the vegetables too. You have to toss them in oil and season them first. Basically all my dinners are simple things like that.

Last night we had grilled salmon with just some lemon pepper and a big salad with some homemade dressing (just balsamic, olive oil, and minced garlic). The night before we had hamburger patties with grilled onions, peppers, and zucchini and coleslaw-type salad, but it just had a homemade lemon juice/olive oil dressing on it, not mayo. I ate my burger topped with guacamole, my family prefers pickles. 

It is a big change to not focus the meal around the grains, but over time it gets easier. You just need plenty of veggies and a meat. For us, finding more vegetables everyone will eat has been the most difficult part. I don't really use recipes though now, since all the cooking is so basic. I bought a few Paleo cookbooks and I never use them. 

Spray a glass lasagna pan with olive or canola oil.  Put in a filet of salmon, skin side down.  Spray with a bit more oil, sprinkle generously with dill (ideally fresh but dried will do).  Surround and cover with slices of red pepper and red onion (not too thinly sliced or they will burn), plus peeled eggplant if you care for it.  Spray each layer as you go with a bit of oil.  If you want more veggies, use a second pan.  Bake at around 350 for around 20-30 minutes.

Serve alone, or with Cuban black beans and yellow rice.  (Vigo yellow rice is hands-down the best pre-packaged kind; Trader Joes does a nice flavor of canned black beans.)

Make extra, and store in the fridge.  Serve for lunch the next day cold.  Try it on whole grain toast with a light spread of mayo if you don't mind the toast.

This makes a quite nice dish for company, plus it's quite easy to do.  The recipe scales up and down very well.  Adjust the veg/fish ratio as per your family's tastes and your pocketbook.  Salmon isn't cheap; Costco has decent prices here.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/507145-your-favorite-bean-or-lentil-recipes-please-share/?hl=%2Bmulligatawny&do=findComment&comment=5521643

My easy Mulligatawny soup is on this thread. It's even vegan if you don't serve the yogurt with it.

In the summer, I really like to keep marinated meats in the freezer so I can just thaw and grill. Then I either serve it over a salad, or with rice and grilled veggies. I especially love fajitas and would have them more often if my family was on board. They think twice a month is pushing it :-/

I made this Seafood "Risotto" for dinner last night:  http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/seafood-risotto-and-tv-segment-2/

I used a handful of frozen shrimp, a can of smoked oysters, a can of crab meat, and a can of diced octopus, and used full-fat coconut milk and chicken bullion instead of chicken broth because I didn't have any on hand.

It took less than 10 minutes to make, and DH, who is normally against anything remotely paleo or low carb, said he'd be happy to have it in the regular dinner rotation.

Can you narrow it down? That's pretty wide open.

One of my quick and brain dead easy favorites that my husband and son beg for is crack slaw. It's just a pound of whatever ground meat you want browned up, a bag of coleslaw mix mixed in and cooked, and a drizzle of toasted sesame oil. We like a bit of soy sauce with it too. I usually put some dabs of butter in while I'm cooking it. Or bacon grease if I happen to have some.

I love a nice roasted chicken with some broccoli on the side.

I love a good steak.

So many options.

I do stuffed cabbage rolls and instead of rice I use chopped sautéed mushrooms. You can do either a tomato sauce or a butter sauce. Yum...

I don't know what you mean by narrowing it down. I'm pretty open-minded other than the things I mentioned.

The crack slaw looks fabulous - almost like what I put in homemade egg rolls.

An easy one we just had and do every 1-2 weeks:

In a dutch oven: Large package of chicken thighs (boneless skinless, but could use breasts or bone in if you don't mind being careful of bones while eating), a bunch of green beans (I usually use a big package of frozen, thaw in microwave, drain off water), a jar of kalamata olives (include some of the brine), sliced lemons, a bunch of capers (include some of the brine).  Sometimes I add chickpeas, although that's not paleo.  Add a lot of greens like kale or spinach.  Throw in a big package of grape tomatoes.  Leave out whatever you don't like or don't have on hand.  Toss in some white wine if you want.  Or not.  Some chicken broth if you have it (don't need it).  Toss in some Tomato paste or strained tomatoes (bionature is what we use). Put the lid on.  Cook for maybe an hour or a bit longer until the thighs are done.

You can brown the thighs on the stovetop in some oil if you feel like it, but I often don't.  No bigggie.

It turns out very mediterranean.  A nice one dish wonder, lots of food. Nutrient dense, easily adapted.  Add some extra salt and a squirt of lemon juice at the end if you want.  The brine from the capers and olives is pretty salty, so you may not need any at all.

It is mostly just pouring things into the pot.  Takes a while to cook, but low mess, low prep.

Google Joe's special .  That's a really easy one.  Ditto crackslaw.

Ground sausage cooked and cauliflower rice added at the end.

We had steak, salad, and a small portion of sweet potato last night for dinner.  I love the Alton Brown stovetop/oven recipe for cooking steak.

Frittata?  Crustless quiche?  Easy to make two and freeze one.

Staying low carb/sugar works best for us when we primarily make dishes that are familiar, have that comfort food factor, and that we have always eaten.  A hamburger without a bun?  Um, okay.   :glare:  :crying:

Our favorites:

Meatloaf

Roasted Veggies 

Beef Stew

Roast chicken w/gravy

Asian Chicken Salad (w/ sliced almonds and water chestnuts for the crunch), Greek Salad, and other main dish salads

Side Salads

Tom Kha Gai (Thai chicken coconut soup, we are addicted to this stuff, I roast a ton of veggies - carrot, zucchini, mushrooms, and red pepper are faves- and throw them in )

Curry beef roast w/ veggies - brown roast in curry + ghee or coconut oil, and throw in crock pot with a can or two of coconut milk, fish sauce, veggies (or roast them first if you've got the time for the extra flavor) including onions and garlic- ginger sometimes.  I get compliments on this all the time and it's so simple.

Fish

Chili 

Hm, that's all I can think of right now.

Rueben bake.

good pastrami from the deli

sliced or shredded swiss cheese

sauerkraut

no-sugar 1000 island dressing

carraway seeds

lightly grease a medium sized baking dish

mix dressing with kraut and seeds

layer: kraut, meat, cheese, repeat. End with cheese.

bake at 350 until warm and bubbly.

Serve with rye toast on the side for those not concerned with carbs.

sorry no measurements. I don't use them making casseroles. ;)

Use Portobello mushrooms instead of buns for burgers  (Which is surprisingly awesome, Lavender Girl. As long as you like Portobello mushrooms :) )

Veggies and meat on the grill

Korean seafood or veggie kimchee stew/hot pot with tofu slices (ok, that's a niche food, but delicious!)

Greek salad

Avocado salad

Salad with chunks of tuna

Caprese salad

Guacomole or hummus with bell pepper strips (& other veggies)

Lobster w/butter  & giant salad

Clam boil without white potatoes or corn (good with sweet potatoes)

Spinach Frittata

Spread of olives, roasted peppers, nice cheese, almonds

Meatballs on skewers or toothpicks

Chicken legs or wings on grill

Chicken satay

Salmon and grilled zucchini (slice the zucchini lengthwise sprinkle with olive oil, salt & pepper and bit of grated Parmesan)

Veggie stir fry

PS Wow. My mouth is kind of watering reading through this thread. KungFuPanda. I have no idea why I never thought to freeze marinated meat. Dwa!  But thanks! And Katy- I am loving that risotto idea!

Make tacos with sauteed zucchini and onions as a base instead of a grain-based shell or wrap.

Salad with lots of yummy spring veggies and baked potatoes or sweet potatoes.

Chicken noodle soup with extra veggies and no noodles.

pork chops in wine sauce

saute pork chops in butter until browned, about 4 minutes per side on medium heat.

remove chops from pan

in the same pan, saute a generous portion of roughly chopped onions and/or shallots until lightly browned, adding more butter if needed.

add 1C red wine and cook until reduced by half

add 1/2 C. heavy cream and stir. season with S &P and add chops back in.

turn off heat and allow to cook a few minutes

delicious and oh, so satisfying!

we like the frenched chops from Trader Joe's

stuffed peppers

slice the tops off of 5 large RED, ORANGE or YELLOW bell peppers and trim out the ribs and seeds.

brush with olive oil and bake in a square baking dish for about 10-15 minutes, until softened, but not losing their shape.

chop the useable bits from the pepper tops

chop 1 large onion, 8oz package of mushrooms (chopped finely)and 3-6 cloves of garlic

cook 1 lb of ground beef and 1 lb of plain ground pork together until browned.

remove meat from pan and saute the onions and peppers, then add in garlic

season with fresh or dried herbs: parsley, oregano, thyme, basil and S&P to taste

if you want you could also add zucchini, chopped small or spinach to the veggie mixture

mix the meat with the veggies and stuff the peppers

top with italian cheese blend, cover with foil and bake for about 20 minutes

remove the foil and brown the cheese

serve with freshly grayed parmesan

I serve this with a green salad and a rice or quinoa as a side dish for my kids.