Menu

Art Curriculum Suggestions, please

We have done about five lessons from See the Light Art Lessons. (It has Christian content). DVD teacher. Lessons are about ten minutes, has 36 lessons. It has very good instruction, starts from the basics and covers shape, space, value, color, color blending, proportions, texture, form perspective, balance, and portraits. My kids enjoy it. It is one that they can watch more than once as they will get something out of as they mature.

Visit the Jan Brett site and also Mark Kistler's offerings.  For actual art plus appreciation, try starting with Creatvity Express.  I like Meet the Masters but it requires someone to read the script for the lessons that go along with the video presentation- so more teacher intensive.  I'm giving The Virtual Instructor a try right now for DD. 

The Evan Moore manual on teaching art is excellent for introducing the basics, it include an easy project for each concept.

Ah! My sympathies in having a child like this - because parents of children like this torture themselves about what they should be providing for said kids. I know. My dd#2 is an "artistic child."

:grouphug:

I've bought drawing books by the shelf-full, found an artist-mentor, gotten her into year-long programs at the Big City Art Museum, and gone through round after round of guilt because there is Talent there & she LOVES creating things - and what if I can't give her what she'd get with a Real Art Teacher in School? I joke that she was born with a pencil in her hand (ouch!) vs. dd#1 who is 'allergic' to them. 

All the things above have been helpful (except the mommy-guilt) in their time. I haven't found a "program" that she likes - because she likes to draw her own things - last week it was horse fairies (half horse, half fairy). At some point, they need help in making things more realistic - shading, hatching, perspective, etc. Artist-mentors, classes, and certain books sometimes help - as does looking at how other people draw, shade, color, hatch, and sketch. We cross each barrier as we come to it. Mine would listen to audio books & draw half the day, then play with her horses or friends the other half. 

So, no helpful program names, just sympathy & my so far, been-there, still-doing-that.  :gnorsi:

I saw this at the HEAV convention last week and my DD begged for it, but at the time, I passed it over because it was really pricey.  Well, I got home and after thinking about it I realized I was really impressed by it and bought Level I for DD for her birthday.  Along with the art supplies, it's a serious ding to the pocketbook, but it looks really good:

http://www.creatingamasterpiece.com/index.php

If you don't want to go the whole hog, you can order the art instruction DVDs separately and try them out that way.

We have a paint-your-own-pottery place locally, and on Tuesdays after PS lets out, they offer a really nice art class for $10. They do a little bio of a particular artist, talk about their art, and then do a project based on that artist's style.  Maybe you can find something like that locally? Or find a local professional artist and offer them $10 to do a weekly lesson?  etc.

I'm also working in projects from Art LabDiscovering Great Artists, and a CU Chicago lesson for when I don't have $40 a month to spend on lessons or the weather is dreadful, etc.  I'm also thinking seriously about Drawing With Children, but I was going to wait until my daughter was closer to your daughter's age.

For strictly drawing lessons, Art Class by See the Light. It is a Christian program, just so you know. All of my children are following the drawing lessons and I am astonished by some of their work.

For a crafty feel, the Home Art Studio videos are nice, but supplies get pricey quickly.

I was planning to do Drawing with Children this year along with Discovering Great Artists, but Artistic Pursuits caught my eye today.  I like that it gives overview of artists and types of art, teaches the elements, and allows the student creativity to plan their own subject to implement the lesson.  Does anyone else have experience with this one?  We have been most fortunate to have an excellent art teacher at a private school do an after school class for homeschoolers locally, but we are moving.  We will miss her.  My son loves art!

We're doing Creativity Express on HSBC

and Harmony Fine Arts

Other than that, I keep clingwrapped ice cube trays filled with pre-mixed colors in the closet, and brushes in a water pot near the sink. My kids can go get out their stuff, paint and put most of it away, themselves.

I also am using Tapestry of Grace. There is a section that gives vocabulary for the week. I select a bunch and just write the names on the bottom of a plain sheet of copy paper. My daughter draws a picture relating to each vocabulary word. It seems to help the vocab stick in her head more and she loves to draw.

Atelier would be our other choice if I wasn't doing our current stuff.