Menu

Dr. Hive - WWYD?

Joker

Youngest dd, 12 years old, almost passed out today. We were outdoors and had been a lot the past few days while on vacation. It has been hot but we have lived in this state for 10 years now and this has never happened. She swayed toward me twice and just fell into my arms. She wasn't talking and her eyes looked funny (after she said she couldn't see anything). We sat her down and had her drink some water and then got her inside. She seems to be okay now but does have a bit of a headache.

I think it was just a combination of being tired (we've been busy on vacation), hot, and maybe not drinking enough water. If it is because of these things, I'm guessing there isn't really anything for the doctor to do but am unsure since nothing like this has ever happened with any of us before.

So, does it seem okay to just keep an eye on her and not go to the doctor or would you make your dc an appointment?

Guest submarines

This happened to me when I was 11-12 years old. I was on a bus by myself and started swaying and couldn't see. This came out of nowhere and never happened again.

DD fainted when she was 11.

Fairly normal, I'd say.

Hugs.

As a teen I would routinely 'hit the deck', as my grandma called it.  Apparently, I was a lot of fun at amusement parks - several times we were taken back to the car by the med team after a long day. One time, my siblings even got an extra ride on the water flume ride because we were waiting for the medics to arrive after I passed out on the steps. So, it has it's advantages.  :laugh:

Marching band cram week in the summer heat was also a fun place to drop. The band director got really good at noticing when my eyes would start to glaze over.

It was a combination of everything you described.  As an adult, I no longer have the problem. I still hate the heat but it never makes me pass out.

This happened to my then 15 year old at church one day. He was ushering, so he was standing against the wall. I noticed he looked funny, was walking holding into the wall, and then said he couldn't see. He collapsed and his pupils were huge. Turns out he hadn't had enough to drink and his blood pressure dropped. We were told that it's not uncommon as an adolescent/teen.

It happened to me a lot as a teenager too.  She might want to start carrying a water bottle with her, make sure she salts her food, and if she eats a little something every time she gets woosy that can up her blood pressure.  I'd probably be careful to make sure it's protein and fat and not just carbs because I wouldn't want her blood sugar to get out of whack too.

I had this happen throughout my teenage years, typically in the heat, when I wasn't drinking enough.

On the opposite end of it, there was one December when I was all bundled up for the weather--except that I was in a mall, and I about fainted.  I don't know this, but based on my own experience, it was something I grew out of. The last time it happened was in my early 20s (and that was several decades ago!).

Scary for you to have that happen, but I don't think it would warrant a doctor appointment unless you notice other things going on.

My ds passed out on a field trip with his community college class.  They called an ambulance, and even though he was up, talking, obviously fine long before it got there, they insisted on taking him in.  The first thing the nurse said when we got to the hospital was, "You're probably just dehydrated." We were there all day while they ran every test they had to rule out every terrible thing that could make a kid faint.  Then they sent us home and said he probably had just been dehydrated.  The funny thing was, we had to ask them to give him something to drink after a couple of hours there.  Umm, if you're guessing he's dehydrated, give him a drink first, then run all your tests!  Anyway, it has never happened again.