Menu

my dd and friend have already started the "I'm bored"

lynn

I tell them, "Try to find something constructive to do. If you can't, I'll find something for you to do." It works like a charm. Either they find a way to be occupied or they are smart enough to be bored somewhere else!

(Note: my youngest is 13 and capable of finding something constructive to do.. So, it's not like I'm telling toddlers to go find a way to be busy.)

Send them over. I have a van that needs cleaning. :laugh:

Good one, I can add wash my car to the list or ask a neighbor if their yard needs raking or porch swept. (We know a few neighbors well enough for this one)

Good one, I can add wash my car to the list or ask a neighbor if their yard needs raking or porch swept. (We know a few neighbors well enough for this one)

Great idea!  Maybe they will generate a little business to pay for the things they would enjoy this summer.

My kids learned long ago not to say those words to me.  I will find something for them to do and it will involve cleaning.

I did just see this today:

B - been creative?

O-outside play?

R-read a book?

E - exercised 20 minutes?

D-done something helpful?

My mother used to reply, "I have a whole list of jobs you can do if you are bored." That's one of those generational statements worth repeating.

My kids never said the "B" word after the first couple of times - they caught on quickly that it resulted in Chore Time for them!!

I will say, though, that had my kids really had trouble figuring out what to do with themselves, we would have had some brainstorming sessions, I would have helped them make some lists, etc.

Anne

I just say, "Oh."

Sometimes, if I feel particularly wordy, I might add, "Too bad."

They used to stand there and look at me, waiting for more, then finally go away when they realized that was all I the attention I had to give to that particular topic.

Now they still tell me once in a while, but it's usually followed by a solution to the problem: Will you play cards with me/Can I call my friend to play/Can I make cookies...

Cat