Menu

cat gurus: I may be in trouble. Your advice appreciated

Mandylubug

We are rescuing a stray kitten soon. The kitten will be cat number two for our household. We have a second litter box, separate bed, scratching post, feeding bowls, etc. Physically and materially we are ready.

however, I am concerned with scratching furniture and the like. Our current resident is fully declawed. So we don't stop her when she paws on furniture, carpet, etc. We have decided to not declaw kitten but I have a feeling we can't have a double cat standard in our household and kitten is going to smell and observe resident kitty and follow in her steps.

what should we do?!

please forgive, grammar and typos, using my tablet.

You may want to ask to be put on a list for rescuing another declawed cat. I don't think it's recommended that you mix the two in a household because it could lead to unfair fights between the two.

If you do get a kitty with claws, just make sure s/he has good surfaces for scratching and praise her when she scratches there. Only one of our cats has ever clawed furniture. It stopped when we put a scratching post sprayed with catnip spray right next to the arm of the sofa he was using. 

Keep scratching posts in strategic places and when either cat starts to use furniture, redirect to the post. Yes, you will have to retrain your current cat. May not seem fair, but it is the only way. New kitty will see current kitty doing something and will follow suit. Don't think you should declaw new kitty, just train to observe rules. And use spray bottle of water, call it dr no and soon when they see the bottle, they will head in another direction. *grin*. We have four and none claw our furniture.

Even cats who are declawed "scratch"--they do all the same things they would do if they were scratching; they just don't have the claws.

OP--I commend you for deciding not to declaw this cat. I know when I was growing up, it was considered normal, but before we brought our two cats home from the shelter, I did the research about what it actually entailed and was horrified to know that we'd done it to my childhood cat and determined never to do it to another one. I don't have any words of advice for you about the double standard, or about whether it's advisable to have a "mixed" household, but our two still have their claws. They have destroyed one chair and left some unsightly marks on another one before we learned, but the presence of LOTS of scratching posts and pads (one of ours prefers to scratch horizontally; the other likes both horizontal and vertical scratching surfacese) plus the ever-present squirt bottle of plain water saved most of the furniture. Good luck to you!

We are rescuing a stray kitten soon. The kitten will be cat number two for our household. We have a second litter box, separate bed, scratching post, feeding bowls, etc. Physically and materially we are ready.

however, I am concerned with scratching furniture and the like. Our current resident is fully declawed. So we don't stop her when she paws on furniture, carpet, etc. We have decided to not declaw kitten but I have a feeling we can't have a double cat standard in our household and kitten is going to smell and observe resident kitty and follow in her steps.

what should we do?!

please forgive, grammar and typos, using my tablet.

Your first weapon is a squirt bottle filled with water. If he tries to claw the furniture, you hiss at him and squirt him with the bottle (the reason you hiss at him is that sometimes you will not have the squirt bottle ready at hand, and so having an audible "weapon" will be helpful).

I found the strangest thing with my cats: If I had an afghan draped over the back of a chair, the kittehs would not claw the chair, even though the afghan did not actually block them. Psychological or physical, as long as it works, I don't care. :-)

We've had cats for most of 30 years, and have never declawed any of them.

One of my cats is front declawed and one is fully loaded.  The fully loaded one was here first, the declawed one was already that way when we adopted him.

We've never had any real issues at all.  Thankfully fully loaded cat has always been very wise and conservative in the use of her weapons.  We never had any real problems with inappropriate sharpening of claws on anything, even when she was a kitten.  She did/does have a very large, sturdy cat tree placed invitingly in front of a window, as well as several other scratching posts throughout the house.  That certainly helps.  Cats tend to like to scratch on different types of surfaces, so you may need to observe the new kitten and see what he likes.  Plus I've always clipped fully loaded cat's front claws regularly.  If you've never trimmed a cat's claws don't freak out about it.  It's really very easy (much easier than trimming a dog's nails).  So get kitty used to it from the start and snip the tips off once a week.  You could also try Softpaws.  Many people get a groomer to put them on, but I think it's very possible to do it yourself.

It is possible to trim the kittens claws and that can help a lot with preventing damage to furniture. We are fostering kittens for our SPCA and the training on how to trim their claws was very simple. Kittens can get used to having them trimmed and then it isn't traumatic for the cat. If I can learn- anyone can!!! I also commend you for not having the kitten declawed!

I'm nervous because kitten is coming from outdoors indoors. I know I need to trim, bathe to clear fleas and train no scratching and litter box and getting resident kitty happy. I feel bad for poor kitty. She will be so overwhelmed from the get go. She is 8wks old. Mama cat is a stray and outdoors.

I'm nervous because kitten is coming from outdoors indoors. I know I need to trim, bathe to clear fleas and train no scratching and litter box and getting resident kitty happy. I feel bad for poor kitty. She will be so overwhelmed from the get go. She is 8wks old. Mama cat is a stray and outdoors.

You need to quarantine her when she first comes.  Set her up in a room of her own.  A bathroom or laundry room works if you don't have a room you can dedicate for the purpose.  If all else fails, you can use a large dog crate.  She needs to be quarantined for at least a week, and preferably two.  You want to make sure she doesn't have anything contagious that your other cat could catch, and you want to give her time to get used to her new home and new people slowly.  Adapting to a small room to begin with is much less stressful for a cat than having the run of a house.  Take her to the vet as soon as possible to have her tested for all the communicable cat things, and to have her wormed.  The vet can also advise you on flea treatments.  There are products that can be used on young kittens.

Confinement will also help teach her to use the litter box, since she won't have a whole lot of other choices.  For the first week keep a towel down at the bottom of the door so the cats can't sniff each other (to stop the spread of anything).  After a week or so (and after she's been to the vet!) you can remove the towel and let them start sniffing each other under the door.  You can also rub them down with the same towel so they get used to each others smell.  Of course all the humans should go in and play with her frequently while she's quarantined.

You need to quarantine her when she first comes. Set her up in a room of her own. A bathroom or laundry room works if you don't have a room you can dedicate for the purpose. If all else fails, you can use a large dog crate. She needs to be quarantined for at least a week, and preferably two. You want to make sure she doesn't have anything contagious that your other cat could catch, and you want to give her time to get used to her new home and new people slowly. Adapting to a small room to begin with is much less stressful for a cat than having the run of a house. Take her to the vet as soon as possible to have her tested for all the communicable cat things, and to have her wormed. The vet can also advise you on flea treatments. There are products that can be used on young kittens.

Confinement will also help teach her to use the litter box, since she won't have a whole lot of other choices. For the first week keep a towel down at the bottom of the door so the cats can't sniff each other (to stop the spread of anything). After a week or so (and after she's been to the vet!) you can remove the towel and let them start sniffing each other under the door. You can also rub them down with the same towel so they get used to each others smell. Of course all the humans should go in and play with her frequently while she's quarantined.

yes, this is our goal. Adult kitty has been allergic to all flea meds we've tried through the vet. So we will definitely wash kitty with dawn and use a flea comb.

our mobile vet is only on Thursdays so kitty will be with us a few days prior.

We have the kids bathroom set up and ready for her to be quarantined.

We have two cats. One is a scratcher and one isn't. We keep several different types of scratching objects around. When she was new to us, we would praise her when she used one and give her a 'No' when she scratched at the carpet. She learned pretty quickly.

Kitten arrives tomorrow afternoon. Just received the call that she is ready! Ahhhhh why am I so nervous? I have a cat. Have had cats growing up?!

This is just my first "mixing of cats"

Do I need to do an smell removal cleaners on sofas where my resident kitty scratches now or is that just recommended for urine spots? Thankfully I've never dealt with that issue.

If you get a quality scratching post where the cat can stretch up high to scratch (about 3 ft.), that will be the kitten's favorite place to scratch, especially as it gets older and bigger.  Train the kitten with treats every time she scratches the post.

If it was me, I would worry about only training the kitten.  But, I would invest in a tall scratching post, not some cheap one.  I have had numerous cats, and they all love love love the tall scratcher posts, and that is the natural thing they gravitate towards.

Also, place the scratching post next the kitten's favorite sleeping spot.  They love to scratch after they wake up.  Then a treat whenever you see new kitty scratching.  

Don't worry, it really can all work out fine.

If you think that you might be trimming your cat's claws, get him accustomed to this by "playing with his feet."  Whenever you play with your cat, just pet and hold the cat's feet; depress the part that makes the claws extend.  We self trim regularly, and this helps the cat to be okay with you manipulating his feet.

I've had my cats for 9-10 years, and one just lay down next to me while nursing my little one an hour ago.  I pet him, and I played with his front paws.

We self-trim:

1) a couple of days before we go to the vet.  Then if a cat scratched at the vet, the nails are as dull as they can be.

2) whenever the nails are too long or two sharp

3) I notice the cat "chewing on his toenails"

If you think that you might be trimming your cat's claws, get him accustomed to this by "playing with his feet." Whenever you play with your cat, just pet and hold the cat's feet; depress the part that makes the claws extend. We self trim regularly, and this helps the cat to be okay with you manipulating his feet.

I've had my cats for 9-10 years, and one just lay down next to me while nursing my little one an hour ago. I pet him, and I played with his front paws.

We self-trim:

1) a couple of days before we go to the vet. Then if a cat scratched at the vet, the nails are as dull as they can be.

2) whenever the nails are too long or two sharp

3) I notice the cat "chewing on his toenails"

Thanks! That's the plan with this one. Our resident cat was 6 months old and a cage kitten when we rescued her. Born at the rescue. She was used to limited human contact and was very skittish. They admitted that she was never out of her cage for any real length of time. She wouldn't let us hold her nor touch her paws at all. I think it is all age related. Hoping this wee one adjusts easier. We love resident kitty, too and she makes us laugh at her weird ways but she's very independent. I'm hoping for a cuddler this go round!

Be prepared for hissing and growling from your resident cat (and maybe the kitten, too).  Even when kitten is quarantined.  Because each will know the other is there.  Don't be freaked out by it.  It is perfectly normal and expected.

Good luck!

Older cats adjust much better to younger kittens.  The kittens are not a threat to their "status" in the pecking order.  So, adopting a kitten will be much easier on your other cat then adopting another full-grown cat.  You shouldn't have too much growling/hissing.  

Here's good luck to getting a snuggly one!      :thumbup1:

Older cats adjust much better to younger kittens.  The kittens are not a threat to their "status" in the pecking order.  So, adopting a kitten will be much easier on your other cat then adopting another full-grown cat.  You shouldn't have too much growling/hissing.  

Here's good luck to getting a snuggly one!      :thumbup1:

I've fostered many dozens of kittens over the years, and that hasn't necessarily been my experience.  It very much depends on the personalities of the cats and kittens involved.  Some hissing/growling/vocalizing is much more common than not IME.

I fully expect our cat to go insane haha. We have new to use sofas. They were my MIL that has a Rag Doll and a dog. No smells that I can smell, MIL is a neat freak but obviously my kitty smelled the Rag Doll cat. She was scared to death to come in the living room for a full day. When she did finally come she was skittish for days.

I expect the smell of the kitten to do similarly to her.

As far as scratching goes, we have a kitty that liked to scratch the woodwork. I found a scratching ramp and she uses that now. I still have to get the water bottle after her every few months or so, though. You might find it helpful to place some kind of scratching device near where the kitty most often sleeps. They tend to like to scratch when they first wake up from a longish nap.

I've fostered many dozens of kittens over the years, and that hasn't necessarily been my experience.  It very much depends on the personalities of the cats and kittens involved.  Some hissing/growling/vocalizing is much more common than not IME.

Sorry for the miscommunication.....of course I agree with you on this.......it just came out wrong.  I guess I was thinking that the younger the new cat, the easier the transition.  But, I could be wrong.  You probably have more experience.

Sorry for the miscommunication.....of course I agree with you on this.......it just came out wrong.  I guess I was thinking that the younger the new cat, the easier the transition.  But, I could be wrong.  You probably have more experience.

Oh no worries.  You are right that the younger the cat the easier the transition (in general).  And you could absolutely be right that these two won't do any hissing and growling.  But I like to warn people to expect it and let them know that it's normal, just so they won't be freaked out.

I appreciate any and all warnings! Since I need to bathe kitty due to potential fleas. Would you do it first thing and then let kitty adjust. Or let kitty adjust to us for an hour or so and then bathe her. I'm thinking it'll be traumatic all around.

Baby kitten has arrived. Poor thing cried all night for her mama and siblings. She is quite scared. Has the cutest little hiss but we aren't rushing her. Letting her climb in our laps on her own accord. I haven't bathed her yet. She seems so scared, didn't want to traumatize her. I will post pictures later today.

We named her Clementine!