Menu

Have you heard these convention speakers??? Input please, help me choose!!

So I'll make a list:

1. Adam Andrews (center for Lit, seems he might not be secular?? or is that just some of his programs???)

2. Rea Berg (from beautiful feet books)

3. Shelagh Gallagher (RFWP) (I am mainly interested in problem based learning. Pretty sure I am going to that one.)

4. Martin Cothran (MP) (I am interested possibly in his lecture: Les Miserables vs. Shrek. I know the curriculum is not secular.)

5. Kathy Koch

6. Mariyln Ashley (I can't find anything online, but the lecture is titled: A colorful solution to a black and white problem: Reading ,attention and learning problems. I was thinking of my dd8 who has trouble paying attention while I read aloud, is that what this is about???)

7. Laura House (Writing across the curriculum)

So If you have heard any of these speakers, was it useful or a sales pitch? And were they secular or definitely non-secular???

I have a couple slots were there are several options and I am not sure which to pick. Of course I am going to a couple of Weiss lectures and MCT.

So any suggestions??? :lurk5:

Adam Andrews is my favorite speaker. He's engaging and practical and handsome, and I always walk away feeling like that was time well spent. He is a Christian, but his talks aren't necessarily about faith. 

Kathy Koch is also a Christian, and she does mention that as her starting point, but the practical tips that she shared in the one session I heard were applicable regardless of one's faith.

Agree with the above about Kathy Koch, I really enjoyed her lecture. She doesn't have children, but really understands them.

I heard Martin Cothran as part of a panel, he was very funny. He is Christian and definitely spoke from a Christian perspective.

Another vote for Kathy Koch.  I somehow landed in one of her sessions in Cincinnati this year at the beginning of the conference and then became a "groupie" for the rest of the conference.  

I also really enjoy Adam Andrews.  I've gone to many of his sessions over the past few years.

1. Adam Andrews

I went to two of his sessions in Cinci and got a recording of another.  One of them was relatively secular; one of them was religious in the broad strokes, but fairly secular in the recommendations; and the third was completely and utterly religious and only marginally related to literary analysis.

I am 100% secular, but I still found his lectures (at least 2 of the 3) very interesting and useful.  He did lightly pitch his curriculum, but his advice was worth while and could stand on its own even if you had no interest in his books.

3. Shelagh Gallagher

I went to two of her lectures, both fully secular.  The one on gifted students were interesting, but pretty big picture; I came away from it with some general ideas, but not a lot of concrete suggestions.  She spent a lot of time talking about the characteristics of gifted children and adults.  I wished she would stop defining asynchrony and start giving more rubber-meets-the-road ideas for how to nurture the asynchronous child.

The problem based learning lecture was not what I expected.  I had watched a Ted Talk by some guy who advocated problem based learning for math.  In that Ted Talk he showed his students a video of a hose slowly filling a bucket with water and asked the students how long it would take until the bucket was full.  The students had to grapple with volume and rate of flow and decide what variables they had to define and what measurements they needed to take in order to solve the "messy" (as opposed to tidy, straight forward textbook) problem.  

I thought Shelagh Gallagher was going to discuss finding "problems" in every day life and providing the scaffolding the child needed to think through and solve them.  Instead, she was talking about the Problem Based Learning found in her books.  She provides unit-study-esque "problems" that involve the child almost role playing a certain character in the scenario and researching, calculating, writing, etc in order to propose a possible solution.  I was disappointed because, to me, the beauty of problem based learning is the realness:  I want the real water in our real turtle's tank to really end up being 60 degrees after I refill it.  How much hose water should I use and how many buckets of sink water at what temperature should I add.  And then afterwards, how close did we come to 60 degrees and what could account for any discrepancy?  That is not the type of problem based learning that Shelagh Gallagher was talking about, but that is just a disconnect between what she was offering and what I was looking for.

Hope that helps.

Wendy

Thanks everyone so far. I will check out those recordings for Andrews. 

Anyone hear any of the others I listed?? Rea Berg or Marilyn Ashley or Laura House??

I think for that has helped me narrow down a couple slots  :lol: .

So I'll make a list:

1. Adam Andrews Not 100% secular, but pretty close.  He does VERY interactive sessions, which feel like you're right in the middle of one of his classes.  He's one of my favorites.  Highly recommend.

I haven't heard the others, but I heard from a friend that Martin Cothran was disappointing. My guess is Rea Berg will be far from secular.  I read Kathy Koch's book on the 8 (?) intelligences and it was very good, but definitely had a Christian focus.  Still might be worth it, because she gave me a great new perspective on teaching my 2 very different children.

Which Adam Andrews sessions are you considering?  The only one that I remember having a significant Christian focus was the building a high school lit program one.  I think his sessions are really worthwhile, especially if you're unclear about how to approach lit discussions.

been several years since I heard Laura House.  But I would expect her to give IEW sales talk or How to Use IEW in the context of the workshop topic.  I think of her as a vendor rep.  here's her link on IEW's site

http://iew.com/intro-iew/history-mission-people/support-team/laura-house

it's been years since I've heard her.. I don't remember anything either way about her personally.

I did find this from 2013 with the Writing Across the Curriculum workshop.  you can read about it and click for the handout if that would be of help to you in your decision.

http://nche.donordepot.com/talk/381

I attended *someone's* presentation of "Writing Across the Curriculum" from IEW and while the workshop wasn't especially sales-pitchy, it was bone dry. I can't say for sure that it was Laura House's presentation, though she does look familiar. I've since seen it offered at other conventions and I've steered clear.

Well I thought Adam Andrews was a waste of time.  Haven't heard Sh. Gall.  I'm guessing Rea Berg is good but a sales pitch.  I found Kathy Koch very, very, VERY insightful and helpful.  Definitely not secular, but interesting enough I think you'd still find it helpful.  She's a psychologist and conveys a TON of content and ideas in her lectures.  

When in doubt, sit in the back and walk out.  Jim Weiss is fine if you like him.  When we were there, he told some new stories he hasn't yet recorded.  My ds ADORES the man but the voice grates on me, oy.  I never go to his sessions if I can avoid it.  I took ds out of respect.  

Have fun at your convention!!!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I thought Adam Andrews was a waste of time.  Haven't heard Sh. Gall.  I'm guessing Rea Berg is good but a sales pitch.  I found Kathy Koch very, very, VERY insightful and helpful.  Definitely not secular, but interesting enough I think you'd still find it helpful.  She's a psychologist and conveys a TON of content and ideas in her lectures.  

When in doubt, sit in the back and walk out.  Jim Weiss is fine if you like him.  When we were there, he told some new stories he hasn't yet recorded.  My ds ADORES the man but the voice grates on me, oy.  I never go to his sessions if I can avoid it.  I took ds out of respect.  

Have fun at your convention!!!   :)

I have a feeling I'm going to be her groupie/stalker this weekend.  I have a bright but struggling learner and am SO in need of inspiration and information!!!