Menu

Exercise Thread ~ 5/18 - 5/24

Snickerdoodle

20 minutes yoga with Kino (youtube), and 15 minutes Intermediate Aim True Yoga before I quit.  I got REALLY disheartened by the Aim True video.  She jumps right into jumps/handstands even for the beginners-I don't have the balance or strength for that anymore.  So I gave up.  I'm feeling rather depressed now.

Been away from the forum for a few weeks, but I am back now. Life got hectic. I am still working out. Did some runs, 2 10k races, one was a trail run... Now I am in love with the trail!! And a 5 k obstacle race in a captain America tutu! Ran a lovely 5k trail yesterday and plan a few miles on the road today along with a cycle and sculpt class tonight. We are technically on vacation this week, but staying in our cabin 40 minutes from home, so I can run home and back ( by car!) easily.

For those of you who run early in the morning, Were you always morning people? I just can't seem to get myself moving that early!!

I think I got it with a golf ball.  LOL   I feel surprisingly less stiff this am, not 100% mind you, but much less nonetheless.

Let the games begin!

Lacrosse balls or Hi-bounce balls really help, and are a little more forgiving.  I don't leave home without them.  Seriously.  

Insanity cardio power and resistance. Man I didn't want to work out today. I grumbled the entire time but...it's done now.

Good for you!  

We were supposed to go for a big hike today, but my LO has an ear infection, so when she felt better we went for a little 2 mile hike.  :(  I was really hoping to get out into the woods more.  Oh, well. It's my anniversary, but I'll try to do Ripped in 30 week 2 again later since we're not going out.  

LOL, I have lacrosse, high bounce, handballs, golf balls, PVC pipe, foam rollers..... I too carry an assortment wherever I go....aka the crazy lady.

After my workout today I feel the tensing up.  I think I'm going to have to roll this one spot multiple times a day.

LOL, I have lacrosse, high bounce, handballs, golf balls, PVC pipe, foam rollers..... I too carry an assortment wherever I go....aka the crazy lady.

After my workout today I feel the tensing up.  I think I'm going to have to roll this one spot multiple times a day.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!  :lol:  One of these days I want to finish some training in Yoga Tune-Up and Restorative Exercise.  Until then, I'm just the weird lady with a purse full of random balls.

I really need you all to educate me about what you use them for. I've don't even know how to use a foam roller and I really should because both my boys are ballet dancers. I've heard some of the girls talk about using rollers at home, but that is the extent of my knowledge.  Now you are saying balls as well? For what?

I did 60 min ballet beautiful 'body blast' workout. I was not feeling it. I hated ever minute and prob didn't get a very good workout as a result.  :thumbdown:

I did my yoga practice.  I didn't want to - but I did it.  I'm determined to get back into doing a full practice minimum 4x per week. (for now)  preferably 5x - 6x.  so, this week has had a positive start.

Trigger Point Therapy

Supple Leopard

The second book has a lot of great info, but you can see a lot of it on his youtube channel.  Just look under Kelly Starrett.

I really want Supple Leopard. Do you think it's worth the price?

Still wondering if a sports massage is worth the $$$$. 

If you can afford it, I say go for it!  And, of course, report back. :)

Videos on foam rolling/trigger point/fascia release:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jill+miller+yoga+tune+up

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo2YQMIu2svzU8v2NSCXEz0-_y8O5pnDs

(I haven't used this one)

Weird what stress will do to you:  I have 2 cars in the shop with a cross country drive looming, clients late with payments, bills due- just finished graduating my 18 yo, in the middle of refinancing our mortgage.... plus normal life.  I ran/walked 2 miles with my 19 yo dd and her college friend (who is staying with us for 8 days).  They are just getting back into running. I thought to myself as we set off- easy breezy run- I couldn't get my breathe to regulate the entire run.  

I was huffing and having difficulty exhaling.  I don't have asthma, it's just stress.  I need to let go!

Still wondering if a sports massage is worth the $$$$. 

When I injured my knee last fall I had one 10 minute session and one 30 minute session.  It was amazing the difference it made.  I think it took Months off of my rehabilitation.  I would have married the therapist on the spot- but thought my husband might object.

When I injured my knee last fall I had one 10 minute session and one 30 minute session.  It was amazing the difference it made.  I think it took Months off of my rehabilitation.  I would have married the therapist on the spot- but thought my husband might object.

I know it would feel sooooo goood.   It's hard to work out your own knots.  No matter how diligent you are, you can't help but couch a little bit on the super tender spots.

I know it would feel sooooo goood.   It's hard to work out your own knots.  No matter how diligent you are, you can't help but couch a little bit on the super tender spots.

Actually it didn't feel good at all.  It hurt like the dickens.  He was doing some sort of pressure point retraining to stop the pain.  It HURT.  But then suddenly my leg worked.  I crutched in with a thigh as hard as stone and limped out with normal flesh.

Actually it didn't feel good at all.  It hurt like the dickens.  He was doing some sort of pressure point retraining to stop the pain.  It HURT.  But then suddenly my leg worked.  I crutched in with a thigh as hard as stone and limped out with normal flesh.

Sign me up!  *off to google ones near me*

If I can get off my butt (tired from gardening), I'm going to ride my bike to the park and do some sprinting.  

Ok, bad day yesterday. My 5 year old niece broke her arm and had surgery etc. I was watching my 2 year old nephew while constantly texting with my mom and sister, blah blah blah.

But, before I picked up my nephew from daycare I made sure to get my 60 min endurance workout on the nordic track. I knew if I didn't I would regret it all day. Today I have a barre workout scheduled, and I will get to that this evening.

ok, so I did my barre workout. It was one that came with my app, so it is an iTrain audio barre workout. I have heard such fantastic things about them and I found it to be comparable to my Bar Method "Super Sculpting" 1&2 or my original Pure Barre. That is a good thing, because that means I have more options.

Ok, so tomorrow and Friday are tough for me. First of all, it is two days in a row of endurance runs on the NT. Thursday and Friday were tough last week, but I did them.  But, because of my sister's kid breaking her arm, I have been asked to pick up the toddler at daycare. There goes my late afternoon exercise time. So, I am putting my intention in writing. I will make the time to workout in either the early afternoon or after dinner on Thursday. I will make the time in the early afternoon on Friday. I won't passively accidentally on purpose not make the time to workout. If I don't get to workout one of those days it will be for honest real life. If that happens I will just let it go and be ok with it.

Ok, bad day yesterday. My 5 year old niece broke her arm and had surgery etc. I was watching my 2 year old nephew while constantly texting with my mom and sister, blah blah blah.

But, before I picked up my nephew from daycare I made sure to get my 60 min endurance workout on the nordic track. I knew if I didn't I would regret it all day. Today I have a barre workout scheduled, and I will get to that this evening.

I'm sorry!

Ok, so tomorrow and Friday are tough for me. First of all, it is two days in a row of endurance runs on the NT. Thursday and Friday were tough last week, but I did them.  But, because of my sister's kid breaking her arm, I have been asked to pick up the toddler at daycare. There goes my late afternoon exercise time. So, I am putting my intention in writing. I will make the time to workout in either the early afternoon or after dinner on Thursday. I will make the time in the early afternoon on Friday. I won't passively accidentally on purpose not make the time to workout. If I don't get to workout one of those days it will be for honest real life. If that happens I will just let it go and be ok with it.

:lol:  You can do it!

Sprinting yesterday sucked.  Badly.  Today I did the DDP Yoga Energy video (25 minutes), which I suprisingly liked.  And then I did the Nerd Fitness Bodyweight Workout -2 cycles only before I ran out of kid-free time.  Tomorrow we go for a very long and very difficult hike. :)

Extra points for thorny plants. Do you have good gloves?

Squirrel, sorry about your niece.

Yesterday I did a 30 min low impact cardio plus walking the dog 2x a day. I usually throw in a little run with him to get away from mosquitos.

This morning I did Butt Barre followed with 100 squats. I took it easy on the squats and only went down to knee level and not past (like I used to be able to do) cause I felt my knee question my intention when I hinted at going lower. I eased up even more on the swinging squats and the jump squats.

I'm just getting the chance to drop in and catch up.  I enjoy reading what everyone else is doing.  I was out of town last week due to a family emergency.  My dad was having issues breathing and ended up in the hospital when they realized his lungs were full of blood clots.  He's doing better. He spent 3 days in the hospital, and now he's home taking it easy.  He's used to golfing almost everyday, so he's going out of his mine just sitting around.  He can take short walks, but he is suppsed to ease back into normal activity.  His Kindle is loaded, and he should get lots of reading done. 

I decided to take just my running gear up to my folks.  I also was able to practice yoga.  I left my kettlebells home, and I decided to take the rest of this week off from them.  My body feels tired and running and yoga is all I can handle.  My folks live in a very hilly area, even more than my town, so I ran lots of hills.  It felt good to run and try and work the stress out.  All of the stress has given me an ulcer :( , which is another reason I'm just sticking to runs; I feel a bit off.  

This morning I ran 4 miles, I made it back before the rain.  It was 63 out, but there was a nice breeze, so it didn't feel too hot.  

I will also get a good workout in this afternoon as I attempt to clean my house.  A week of me not present, but the rest of the family here, means there is a lot of housework to be done. 

For reasons unknown I read skillwork as silkworm the first time. I had visions of some exercise where you twist yourself up in silk scarves. I need focus today obviously :confused1:

Hahaha. I always read snicker's posts and think of Cronk in the movie The Emperor's New Groove, singing his own music while sneaking around...