Menu

What would be THE classical education curriculum

That's a loaded question around these here parts...lol.

There is no standard definition of classical education, and there have been many lengthy threads attempting to define it, but trying to get a consensus would be like nailing jello to a wall. :) If you explain your personal flavor I'm sure you could get some curricula suggestions. There are many in TWTM book that are broken up by grade, but it would be against copyright to put the lists here. If you haven't read it your library probably has at least one edition.

To many (most?), classical education is a method that won't fit in a booklist. TWTM describes a method for approaching each subject, and then offers curricula recommendations and suggestions on how to use them. I can tell you I use a lot of Veritas Press and Classical Academic Press materials, but using the exact same things in your house probably won't have the same outcome it has in mine. It's more about how we use them than which curricula.

There are several forms Classical Education and even Trivium Classical Education have many different interpretations. Also, even if people agreed on what Trivium Classical Education,  what you're asking someone to list it would be unbelievably long.  In addition to that you'd get a lot of lectures on the nonsense that are grade levels from people like me.  I think you probably need to do more reading on the subject of types of Classical Education from different points of view and look at different Trivium Classical Education curriculum options and decide which of each appeal to you individually.

This is a portion of one of my articles for new homeschoolers that could cover different types of Classical Education.  I included the Living Books Approach because, depending on what books are used, it could be done in a Classical way.

===Living Books Approach ===

Only the best literature and writings on each subject are used.  Think of it this way, instead of reading from a distilled over simplified textbook on the Civil War, these parents have their students read several of the books about the Civil War that an author of a textbook would read preparing to write the textbook.  Now, think of doing that for Science, History, Economics, Literature, Art, etc.  This crowd is also known for

nature studies, narration, and dictation.

Heart of Dakota 

Charlotte Mason

Karen Andreola

My Father’s World

Sonlight

Greenleaf Press

All Through the Ages

Robinson’s Curriculum

===Classical Education===

Classical education has at least three distinct camps. They can be integrated as much as the parent prefers. They all have a strong preference for first source materials and use primarily Western Classics (Also called the Western Canon, or the Common Book of the Western World.) Some can include the study of "dead" languages (Hebrew, Classical or Biblical Greek, and Latin) although some are content with good English translations of Classic works while others opt for studies of Latin and Greek Roots in English.

Group A

Characterized by the Trivium.  The 3 stages have many terms: 

1. Stage 1 Grammar (facts)
  2. Stage 2 Logic (cause and effect) All stages of formal Logic inductive, deductive, material, etc. 
  3. Stage 3 Rhetoric (application and persuasion) Formal argumentation is studied.

Formal Logic and Rhetoric are studied specifically. History is usually studied chronologically. Logic is studied formally, and Science is studied with experimentation, biographies, and original writings of the greatest minds. Classic works from masters throughout Western Civilization in all eras are studied. Some integrate History, Geography, Science and Literature into a more unit study approach.

Think Dorothy Sayers.

Tapestry of Grace

Classical Conversations

Memoria Press

Veritas Press

Teaching the Trivium

The Well Trained Mind

The Circe Institute

Group B

Characterized by the Mentor Model and sometimes called a "Statesmen" education. Morals, virtue, and character are emphasized above all.

1. In the early years children are allowed to follow their interests and learn good moral character while developing a strong work ethic.
  2. The middle years are when the parent begins inspiring students by reading classic works by the best minds on the subjects and entering into apprenticeship situations with masters of certain skills. 
  3. The later years the students are mentored in apprenticeships in entrepreneurial situations for their future leadership roles and professional pursuits.

Think Thomas Jefferson.

A Thomas Jefferson education by DeMille

A Thomas Jefferson Companion

Group C

Also known as the Principle Approach.  This is a method often attributed to how many of the Founders were educated.

1. Research the topic by looking up ideas

a. first source materials (original writings, documents, autobiographies, first hand historical accounts, etc.)

b. look up terms in dictionary (keeping in mind dictionaries that are specific to the era)

c. look up terms in your sacred writings or other sources related to your beliefs (Christians-Bible)

1. Reason through the material looking for the underlying principles.

1. Relate the information you have found through research and reason and apply it to your life.

1. Record your findings in a logical, systematic, and persuasive format.

Think James Madison.

www.principleapproach.org

Okay. Our child will be 8 years old this month. Let's play the HOF (Hall of Fame) game. Pretend it's baseball we're talking about. Pretend that every position is instead a subject. Now, given that very few homeschool teachers prescribe BY the book, imagine that you're making out THE curriculum for what in your mind epitomizes the average 'strong'student, academically speaking. Surely someone wants to play?

Okay. Our child will be 8 years old this month. Let's play the HOF (Hall of Fame) game. Pretend it's baseball we're talking about. Pretend that every position is instead a subject. Now, given that very few homeschool teachers prescribe BY the book, imagine that you're making out THE curriculum for what in your mind epitomizes the average 'strong'student, academically speaking. Surely someone wants to play?

I don't know anything about baseball, so I can't relate to your question as it's stated.  Please be specific rather than analogous when you ask about educational philosophy and curriculum options.   We're very busy educating our children from K-12 and taking time to answer questions from newbies-please respect that by not inviting us to play games that have vague rules and that are weird metaphors.

You're asking people, most of whom chose a particular method of education (homeschooling) specially because its inherent flexibility and ability to be customized to the child, to have a discussion with about the "average strong student."  That doesn't make sense.

You're asking about an educational philosophy (Classical Education) that has a wide spectrum of general variations (Living Books, Trivium, Mentor, Principle) each of which has its own sub categories and wanting recommendations of specific applications (curriculum.) That's not realistic until you have some background knowledge.

The problem we're having here is that you don't have enough knowledge on the subject of Classical Education to have a conversation with us.  I think I gave a fairly decent bird's eye view about different approaches to Classical Education and different curriculum that could fall under those categories. (At least that's the feedback I usually get.)  Are there specific things that resonate with you in those categories?  Have you browsed each curriculum under each by searching their websites and reading reviews?  When you have, then you'll be able to articulate specific questions about each because you'll have a basic familiarity with each, and that will help you formulate specific questions about each.

Even people who do have developed a set of educational goals, a basic understanding of the different forms of Classical Education, a preference for Trivium Classical Education in particular and a basic understanding of each curriculum that falls under that category will have different favorites for different reasons. If you don't have that kind of background knowledge their reviews and recommendations won't be meaningful to you because you don't have enough knowledge yourself and will have no criteria by which to determine which recommendations will likely work for you.  If you do that homework after you developed your own specific educational goals, you'll also have to adapt to some degree ( we all do) to the child you have. 

I think she's just looking for everyone to spit out "their" idea of the best curriculum that fit the classical mold, whether everyone would agree or not, more like a game than trying to look for advice. 

Since I like a lot of memorization for grammar stage mine would include Classical Conversations song CDs.

Mine would include WWE/WWS, FLL, OPGTR for Language Arts. And though I love BW I wouldn't include it as a classical program, I think it's more Charlotte Mason.

I'd have SOTW for History & Geography.

I'd have no idea for science since I do more Charlotte Mason for science.

All of these are for the grammar stage since that's all I've done so far.

I think she's just looking for everyone to spit out "their" idea of the best curriculum that fit the classical mold, whether everyone would agree or not, more like a game than trying to look for advice.

Since I like a lot of memorization for grammar stage mine would include Classical Conversations song CDs.

Mine would include WWE/WWS, FLL, OPGTR for Language Arts. And though I love BW I wouldn't include it as a classical program, I think it's more Charlotte Mason.

I'd have SOTW for History & Geography.

I'd have no idea for science since I do more Charlotte Mason for science.

All of these are for the grammar stage since that's all I've done so far.

Thank you! What you posted is exactly what I am interested in. Indeed, I was only looking for peoples' opinions on what 'they'thought were the best books/materials, falling in line with the classical educational model. No 'disrespect', 'cheating the system' or otherwise wasting peoples' time. I don't think it is ever a good thing to insinuate that someone else isn't doing as good a job at teaching, or isn't taking it as seriously as others. No one should label others as not knowing as much. This is a forum for discussion and for folks to help one another. If people don't want to participate in the thread, no hard feelings.

I don't know anything about baseball, so I can't relate to your question as it's stated.  Please be specific rather than analogous when you ask about educational philosophy and curriculum options.   We're very busy educating our children from K-12 and taking time to answer questions from newbies-please respect that by not inviting us to play games that have vague rules and that are weird metaphors.

You're asking people, most of whom chose a particular method of education (homeschooling) specially because its inherent flexibility and ability to be customized to the child, to have a discussion with about the "average strong student."  That doesn't make sense.

You're asking about an educational philosophy (Classical Education) that has a wide spectrum of general variations (Living Books, Trivium, Mentor, Principle) each of which has its own sub categories and wanting recommendations of specific applications (curriculum.) That's not realistic until you have some background knowledge.

The problem we're having here is that you don't have enough knowledge on the subject of Classical Education to have a conversation with us.  I think I gave a fairly decent bird's eye view about different approaches to Classical Education and different curriculum that could fall under those categories. (At least that's the feedback I usually get.)  Are there specific things that resonate with you in those categories?  Have you browsed each curriculum under each by searching their websites and reading reviews?  When you have, then you'll be able to articulate specific questions about each because you'll have a basic familiarity with each, and that will help you formulate specific questions about each.

Even people who do have developed a set of educational goals, a basic understanding of the different forms of Classical Education, a preference for Trivium Classical Education in particular and a basic understanding of each curriculum that falls under that category will have different favorites for different reasons. If you don't have that kind of background knowledge their reviews and recommendations won't be meaningful to you because you don't have enough knowledge yourself and will have no criteria by which to determine which recommendations will likely work for you.  If you do that homework after you developed your own specific educational goals, you'll also have to adapt to some degree ( we all do) to the child you have. 

Oh for the love of Pete. Again? I think you are probably not the best choice for captain of the WTM Forums Welcome Committee. LOL You seem to get so irritated by newbie questions that don't meet your standards. Personally, I am not a fan of your stating what "we" would prefer as if we are all clones here. If you don't like the question, don't answer the question.

There are several forms Classical Education and even Trivium Classical Education have many different interpretations. Also, even if people agreed on what Trivium Classical Education,  what you're asking someone to list it would be unbelievably long.  In addition to that you'd get a lot of lectures on the nonsense that are grade levels from people like me.  I think you probably need to do more reading on the subject of types of Classical Education from different points of view and look at different Trivium Classical Education curriculum options and decide which of each appeal to you individually.

This is a portion of one of my articles for new homeschoolers that could cover different types of Classical Education.  I included the Living Books Approach because, depending on what books are used, it could be done in a Classical way.

===Living Books Approach ===

Only the best literature and writings on each subject are used.  Think of it this way, instead of reading from a distilled over simplified textbook on the Civil War, these parents have their students read several of the books about the Civil War that an author of a textbook would read preparing to write the textbook.  Now, think of doing that for Science, History, Economics, Literature, Art, etc.  This crowd is also known for

nature studies, narration, and dictation.

Heart of Dakota 

Charlotte Mason

Karen Andreola

My Father’s World

Sonlight

Greenleaf Press

All Through the Ages

Robinson’s Curriculum

===Classical Education===

Classical education has at least three distinct camps. They can be integrated as much as the parent prefers. They all have a strong preference for first source materials and use primarily Western Classics (Also called the Western Canon, or the Common Book of the Western World.) Some can include the study of "dead" languages (Hebrew, Classical or Biblical Greek, and Latin) although some are content with good English translations of Classic works while others opt for studies of Latin and Greek Roots in English.

Group A

Characterized by the Trivium.  The 3 stages have many terms: 

1. Stage 1 Grammar (facts)
  2. Stage 2 Logic (cause and effect) All stages of formal Logic inductive, deductive, material, etc. 
  3. Stage 3 Rhetoric (application and persuasion) Formal argumentation is studied.

Formal Logic and Rhetoric are studied specifically. History is usually studied chronologically. Logic is studied formally, and Science is studied with experimentation, biographies, and original writings of the greatest minds. Classic works from masters throughout Western Civilization in all eras are studied. Some integrate History, Geography, Science and Literature into a more unit study approach.

Think Dorothy Sayers.

Tapestry of Grace

Classical Conversations

Memoria Press

Veritas Press

Teaching the Trivium

The Well Trained Mind

The Circe Institute

Group B

Characterized by the Mentor Model and sometimes called a "Statesmen" education. Morals, virtue, and character are emphasized above all.

1. In the early years children are allowed to follow their interests and learn good moral character while developing a strong work ethic.
  2. The middle years are when the parent begins inspiring students by reading classic works by the best minds on the subjects and entering into apprenticeship situations with masters of certain skills. 
  3. The later years the students are mentored in apprenticeships in entrepreneurial situations for their future leadership roles and professional pursuits.

Think Thomas Jefferson.

A Thomas Jefferson education by DeMille

A Thomas Jefferson Companion

Group C

Also known as the Principle Approach.  This is a method often attributed to how many of the Founders were educated.

1. Research the topic by looking up ideas

a. first source materials (original writings, documents, autobiographies, first hand historical accounts, etc.)

b. look up terms in dictionary (keeping in mind dictionaries that are specific to the era)

c. look up terms in your sacred writings or other sources related to your beliefs (Christians-Bible)

1. Reason through the material looking for the underlying principles.

1. Relate the information you have found through research and reason and apply it to your life.

1. Record your findings in a logical, systematic, and persuasive format.

Think James Madison.

www.principleapproach.org

This is an excellent summary. Thank you.

Thank you! What you posted is exactly what I am interested in. Indeed, I was only looking for peoples' opinions on what 'they'thought were the best books/materials, falling in line with the classical educational model. No 'disrespect', 'cheating the system' or otherwise wasting peoples' time. I don't think it is ever a good thing to insinuate that someone else isn't doing as good a job at teaching, or isn't taking it as seriously as others. No one should label others as not knowing as much. This is a forum for discussion and for folks to help one another. If people don't want to participate in the thread, no hard feelings.

It is not disrespect.   It is simply that you have not defined your parameters well enough to have a meaningful and thoughtful discussion.    "Classical education" is not defined the same way by all people.   What is your definition of classical?   If your definition of classical is cyclical history, memorization, stages of learning of as grammar, logic, and rhetoric, you will have completely different people responding to your post and offering suggestions than if  classical education is Latin/Greek, Western civilization, analytical skill oriented and grammar is a subject, not a stage.

Here are just a few links about why asking your question more specifically will only be to your benefit:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/342444-what-classical-education-is-and-why-it-is-attractive/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/361005-who-does-not-do-classical-ed/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/324820-what-do-you-feel-are-the-essential-elements-of-a-classical-education/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/490228-better-late-philosophy-vs-classical-education/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/359457-how-does-one-provide-a-classical-education-circe-institute-lovers/

It is not disrespect. It is simply that you have not defined your parameters well enough to have a meaningful and thoughtful discussion.

In fairness to the OP, I think he was just being light, wanting a simple name your favorite curriculum thread. Obviously he didn't know he had accidentally stumbled into the philosophical quicksand that lies around every corner on these boards. :lol:

The actual "Well Trained Mind" book gives what you're looking for, if you haven't checked it out.  Granted, there are curriculum choices there, but as others have said, each child is different, or some parents have a religious-orientation where others are more secular.  You'll find recommendations for each subject, by the various ages.  

There do seem to be favorites, but there is not one favorite.  So for history, many many people like Story of the World (not surprisingly).  Some choose to use Tapestry of Grace or Sonlight or a Child's History of the World.  All are great programs.

For math, many people love Singapore.  Many love Math Mammoth, which is not a SIngapore approach.  Many love Miquon and RightStart for the early grades, etc.  Beast Academy is very popular for 3rd and now 4th grade.  AOPS is popular for pre-algebra and up.

What might help is to look at the "What are you doing for X grade" type threads.  You'll definitely see trends as to which programs are popular here.

I have one kid going into 5th grade, so honestly, I haven't thought much beyond that.  I have some ideas as to the Middle School type curricula I'm interested in, but I won't really start looking at it until later next year.

In fairness to the OP, I think she was just being light, wanting a simple name your favorite curriculum thread. Obviously she didn't know she had accidentally stumbled into the philosophical quicksand that lies around every corner on these boards. :lol:

Lol!! Yes, she probably didn't know just how much one little word can change the entire meaning! :)

I'll play:

1st base (math): Math Mammoth with a little Beast Academy and CWP on the side for variety/fun.

2nd base (English/language arts): FLL/WWE (followed by CC Essentials for us), good whole books for literature, Vocabulary from Classical Roots

3rd base (history/geography): SOTW, CC for memory work

Short Stop (science): interest-led, primarily via living books & nature study, CC for memory work

Outfield (everything else): community based art, music, foreign language, enrichment classes

Pitcher: a curious, life-long learner as a teacher/parent who sets a great example by reading, discussing, and analyzing as a way of life.

Catcher: a safe, media-lite household that prioritizes eating well, sleeping well, being physically active and playful.

What might help is to look at the "What are you doing for X grade" type threads.  You'll definitely see trends as to which programs are popular here.

I agree. OP, if you do a title search for 3rd, you should be able to skim through the results for the threads umsami means. Also 4th, 5th, etc. Those are great threads for ideas. It can be extremely overwhelming at first though. Just fair warning! 

If you are really interested in Classical Education then you should list your line up, we tear it apart, and then you defend it.  That is called Classical debate and discussion.

It is not disrespect.   It is simply that you have not defined your parameters well enough to have a meaningful and thoughtful discussion.   

Or, the question is not framed in a useful way.  Let's just consider Math.  One of the programs (I won't mentioned which) is working very well for us.  I think it happens to be a good match for my kids.  Other moms here have great success with other programs, and that doesn't make me think any less of my program or theirs or them or me.  Moreover, I can't in any meaningful way describe any of these programs as "more classical" than any other.  Is a spiral math program more or less classical than one that isn't?  Perhaps the most "classical" math program would be reading Euclid, which I can almost guarantee would be an enormous failure here..

I wasn't understanding at first, but I think I follow now. 

We don't use a lot of curriculum, mostly as a guide more than as intended. 

A good book list. We have usually used AO, but we are vacationing with Mensa for Kids. Short, fun, a mix of modern and classic.

Copy work from poetry or literature.

We like LoF, but it's not for everyone. Story math for little kids, online skills practice for older kids. Before this year, we used Singapore and loved it.

I'm on the fence with phonics. We are on our 5th program with the third kid. One doesn't seem to be inherently better than the others.

Same with grammar. FLL 1 and 2 are great. I'm looking at KISS grammar after that, but easy grammar, daily grammar, growing with grammar and daily grams all seem equally adequate. Like phonics, I don't know if the program itself matters as long as you use one. 

Handwriting without tears and Donna young handwriting both work well. We have used both.

I do living book and real world science.

Still looking for a decent writing program.

SOTW has been our one constant. Love it. 

Please be polite. The reason most people come to these forums is to ask questions. Just because some of us haven't been doing it as long as you doesn't mean our questions are stupid and that we can't be part of the conversation. 

OP, keep in mind that many people here are not Classical Trivium Homeschoolers.  So, if Classical Trivium Education recommendations are what you really want, be sure the recommendations you're getting are from that specific educational philosophy.  There is a big mix of homeschoolers here.

Now to address the specifics posted up thread:

Asking for clarification is different than not liking the question itself.  Usually when someone is asking for clarification, they expect more precise, specific wording. That wasn't what I saw in the next post by the OP.  As stated, the question is unanswerable.  I assumed the OP was unaware of that. Remember, the OP is asking about Classical Trivium Education at The Well Trained Mind Boards.  She's going to get some answers that are very specific in that context if Classical Trivium Education by people familiar with it. I cannot give her useful information until I understand what kind of specific information she wants.

The original post  is the perfect example of why not doing the background reading makes it much harder for newbies to have a solid start.  It demonstrates why not having very basic background knowledge on a particular topic makes discussion with people familiar with it very difficult. They are very likely to run into the problem of using the same words very differently because they have a different understanding of those words. They also tend to use different words for things that newbies may not be familiar with.

Recommendation for a curriculum requires knowing certain things:

1. What does the OP mean by Classical? People who have different ideas about content and approach to a Classical Education will have very different recommendations about curriculum because each curriculum has different content which is based on different approaches and goals. That doesn't include the section of Classical Trivium Homschoolers who use little to no no curriculum at all and prefer to focus on content and skill sets which requires an even more detailed level of knowledge for discussion purposes.

Does  the OP want an in depth study of Christendom included?  If she does, does she want a more Catholic, Reformed or Orthodox approach?  Does she want pagan literature included or is she specifically planning to avoid it? Does she prefer a more Enlightenment/Secular Humanist approach to her Classical Education? Is she going for a "pursuit of truth, beauty and goodness" idea/values angle to her Classical Education or does she want a mix of events, biographies and ideas approach?  Does she prefer first source materials over secondary sources when possible, or is she OK with secondary sources across the board? Is she planning to integrate subjects?  If so, which ones?  How does she want to integrate them? There are more questions like these that would apply.

Different Classical Trivium Education curricula handle each of those questions differently.  If the OP don't give more specific criteria our recommendations will be at best, hit or miss.

2. What are her goals for each subject? Since each curriculum has a different set of sometimes unspoken goals, how can anyone make a meaningful recommendation to her if they have no idea what her goals are? If she doesn't know what her goals for each subject are, how can she sort through recommendations in a way that is meaningful or useful to her?  Her only other option is taking a poll, selecting one and hoping it works.  If it doesn't work, she'll have to try something else.  That's not really a cohesive way to go about a Classical Trivium education K-12. Many subjects build up from one concept to the next to get somewhere specific.  What if it isn't where she wants to go?  What a loss of time, money and energy!

Does she want mastery vs. exposure? Does she want mastery or spiral design?  Does she want her child to memorize phonetic rules for reading and spelling? Does she want history to run on a 4 year rotation 3 times or a 1 year rotation 12 times? A different number of years and times?  How much national history does she want to include? Does she want to do it in depth for longer or does she want to do it parallel to World History less in depth? Does she want textbooks and workbooks or does she want to use living books? A mix? Does she consider Latin and Greek Roots an extension of reading (after phonics and coupled with spelling) or does she want to study English Grammar after studying Latin and/or Classical Greek formally?

Again, depending on the answers to those and other questions about her ideas of Classical Trivium Education, the kinds of curriculum recommendations that will be useful to her will vary dramatically.

If the OP really wants to find something that is a good fit long term, rather than randomly trying things and switching to something else (Who has the time and money for that?) she needs to do some background reading. While it may seem a hassle up front, it's nothing compared to the hassle of spending time, money and energy on a curriculum that isn't a good fit and starting over with something else for any number of attempts until she finds a fit.  Trying any old recommendation for each subject could result in a lot of wasted time, money and energy. She might end up joining the "math curriculum of the month club" from the homeschooling cartoons. It could also mean being unable to get to the 3rd stage of Trivium if she doesn't make some specific decisions in certain subjects now and plan ahead with them in mind.

Classical Education isn't just an educational philosophy-it's training in an approach to life.  If the first stage is Grammar/facts, then building on that Logic/Cause and Effect and from there going to Rhetoric/application and persuasion to master things, it's not completely out of left field to suggest to the parent undertake learning some very basic facts about Classical Trivium Education, figuring it which of those things she wants to use together and it what way she wants to do them and then applying them to a specific curriculum because you're persuaded that it meets your goals and is applied in a way that matches your goals and philosophy. It's all very interconnected an immediately related to the task she has said she would like to undertake.

It's not as complicated as it sounds describing it that way.  Read a range of books and articles on Trivium Classical Education (assuming you're sure that's the type of Classical Education you prefer over others), compare the general differences between the books and articles you read, see which makes the most sense for where you want your kid to be at the end, then look at curriculum recommended in the books and other curriculum that claims to do those things.  Talk to people who use each curriculum, ask them what they like and dislike about them.

Please be polite. The reason most people come to these forums is to ask questions. Just because some of us haven't been doing it as long as you doesn't mean our questions are stupid and that we can't be part of the conversation. 

She wasn't being impolite, she was stating a fact. The op needs to do more background reading if she wants the conversation she asked for. From further clarifications, the conversation she asked for isn't the one she wanted, which only proves the point. If everyone politely refrained from telling her there is no such thing as THE classical ed curriculum, she'd be left wondering why we're such idiots who can't answer a simple question and would never learn it *isn't* a simple question. If she's going to post here, she needs big girl panties enough to cope with playing with the "big kids" (whoever she decides the "big kids" are.) This isn't rudeness. This is fact and a fact that will open her mind to more possibilities than she ever imagined and make the education of her children a far richer experience than she could think of the first time she logged on here. It's not rude to tell a newbie this because *everyone here* has had that same experience. Even Susan herself learns from this forum! While it might not look it on the surface, people are being welcoming and kind by telling her why her question is not the right question and what to do about it. The OP might be offended and go off in a huff. She might be offended and read the links anyway. She might not be offended. She might read the links and yell at her husband in frustration that nobody told her this stuff sooner. That's her business. Bringing her up to speed in the conversation is very polite, especially when one considers how often the old timers do it. They could have got bored and not bothered. And in only a few posts, she has clarified her question a bit, so she's already getting closer to what she wants.

Welcome to the forum, OP.  :seeya:

Sorry, but the quoted post was rude. Yes, it is impolite to basically tell someone that "we" are too busy to be bothered with posts that (obviously, in her opinion) come from a place of (assumed) ignorance. Oh, and also use "weird metaphors." Other people did make much better use of their manners while conveying the same "first define classical" message.

She wasn't being impolite, she was stating a fact. The op needs to do more background reading if she wants the conversation she asked for. From further clarifications, the conversation she asked for isn't the one she wanted, which only proves the point. If everyone politely refrained from telling her there is no such thing as THE classical ed curriculum, she'd be left wondering why we're such idiots who can't answer a simple question and would never learn it *isn't* a simple question. If she's going to post here, she needs big girl panties enough to cope with playing with the "big kids" (whoever she decides the "big kids" are.) This isn't rudeness. This is fact and a fact that will open her mind to more possibilities than she ever imagined and make the education of her children a far richer experience than she could think of the first time she logged on here. It's not rude to tell a newbie this because *everyone here* has had that same experience. Even Susan herself learns from this forum! While it might not look it on the surface, people are being welcoming and kind by telling her why her question is not the right question and what to do about it. The OP might be offended and go off in a huff. She might be offended and read the links anyway. She might not be offended. She might read the links and yell at her husband in frustration that nobody told her this stuff sooner. That's her business. Bringing her up to speed in the conversation is very polite, especially when one considers how often the old timers do it. They could have got bored and not bothered. And in only a few posts, she has clarified her question a bit, so she's already getting closer to what she wants.

Welcome to the forum, OP. :seeya:

What conversation are you talking about? I remember asking for participants to post their lists. I had no intentions in debating anything or being talked down to.

I don't get it. All that was asked for was YOUR opinion of what a good list of classical curriculum would be, by subject. It doesn't have to fit OP's opinion, it doesn't have to fit any specific definition except yours. She's looking for everyone else to define THEIR classical curriculum. Why is that too much to ask? Why is it assumed she doesn't know how to define the different classical education theories and pick one? And why does someone have to do that before asking a question? 

What conversation are you talking about? I remember asking for participants to post their lists. I had no intentions in debating anything or being talked down to.

As someone else pointed out upthread, what constitutes a classical education is one of those conversations that carries on forever, being revisited every now and then when someone wanders in and asks a question like you have. It's one of those conversations that has lasted for centuries and will probably last a few more.

"I'm interested in classical ed, what do you use?" is a very different question to "What would be THE classical ed curriculum."

Now you've articulated that you don't want debate on what classical education is, isn't, could be and should be, and you don't want anything that could appear to assume you are unfamiliar with that long standing debate, you probably won't get much more of it.

I don't get it. All that was asked for was YOUR opinion of what a good list of classical curriculum would be, by subject. It doesn't have to fit OP's opinion, it doesn't have to fit any specific definition except yours. She's looking for everyone else to define THEIR classical curriculum. Why is that too much to ask? Why is it assumed she doesn't know how to define the different classical education theories and pick one? And why does someone have to do that before asking a question?

Your understanding of the original post is very different to mine. Small wonder we're not seeing eye to eye then. But never mind. If the OP wants to know what resources the people who feel like posting on this thread use, she's sure to get it. With the thousands of people on this forum, someone is bound to be feeling chatty.

Umsami's suggestion of looking at the X grade planning threads is an excellent suggestion for someone that doesn't really know what they are specifically looking for.  Even w/o discussing the subject classical education, simply asking for your favorite curriculum across every subject and every grade is way too overwhelming a topic for a single thread.

As for adding the classical qualifier, you really open an entirely different level of conversation.   For example, from my perspective many of the curricula which claim to be classical are anything but.    But, that is b/c I adopt a classical ;) (non-1990s+) perspective of what defines classical education.   Neo-classical education redefined classical education and adopted many educational positions that are not connected to historical classical education.  

And then to ask "THE" classical curriculum" suggests that there is an open and go pre-packaged curriculum which surpasses all other packaged curricula.  Doesn't exist.

I'll play.  I'm not a classical purist, so my opinion probably does not count, but I try very hard to use materials that lead to *authentic* learning for my individual child. This looks different in each of my children.

For math, AoPS is by far the most authentic learning my older child could have.  I'm still searching for my younger, and in fact he may never get to a 'classical' authentic learning approach for math.  It might just be a get-er-done situation, which is really not classical IMHO.

For English reading and writing, I am totally a no workbook kind of person.  Authentic learning *to me* means engaging with literature and writing about it, with no intermediaries. So we read classics and write about them. Very simple and very effective. It has taken me a very long time to come to this conclusion but the switch we have made this year has been wonderful. Both kids did a get-er-done approach for spelling and grammar and used workbooks for those.

For foreign language, we used good old fashioned methods of a tutor and a decent book to learn from.

For science, we read good solid books that get progressively harder over time.  We discuss, we research, and we sometimes write (but not very often). We do a large scale investigation each year which allows us to bring together all of our knowledge and study something interesting and study it with intention.  Some of our most memorable learning comes from this integrated study.

For history, once again we read good solid books, we discuss, we look things up, we ask questions, we sometimes write.  We really get in there and think, and we have developed a passion for knowledge by using this approach.  We have no formal requirement of timelines or outlines etc, rather we do what needs to be done to understand the material, sometimes this *is* an outline, because we need it to make sense of things, but more often it is discussion.  Point is we use the tools that we need to use in order to engage, rather than a preset criteria.

So, somehow I doubt that this was what you were looking for.  But to me, classical education is not about curricula; it is about authentic learning.  Engaging in your studies.  And different families and different kids do it in different ways.

Ruth in NZ

Not many people on this forum follow a purely classical approach of any definition above and therefore would be dissuaded from posting.

I could tell you my favorites, but I use a core knowledge/ evidence-based approach which happens to line up with neo-classical theory in certain respects. My best and most rigorous list of curricula would certainly not be THE classical curriculum.

Umsami's suggestion of looking at the X grade planning threads is an excellent suggestion for someone that doesn't really know what they are specifically looking for.  Even w/o discussing the subject classical education, simply asking for your favorite curriculum across every subject and every grade is way too overwhelming a topic for a single thread.

As for adding the classical qualifier, you really open an entirely different level of conversation.   For example, from my perspective many of the curricula which claim to be classical are anything but.    But, that is b/c I adopt a classical ;) (non-1990s+) perspective of what defines classical education.   Neo-classical education redefined classical education and adopted many educational positions that are not connected to historical classical education.  

And then to ask "THE" classical curriculum" suggests that there is an open and go pre-packaged curriculum which surpasses all other packaged curricula.  Doesn't exist.

:iagree:

OP, here is my approach, which serves as an example of why some people are saying that the original question doesn't really make sense:

MATH: There's really no such thing as a "classical" approach to math (unless you plan on learning math directly from Euclid and Newton), so just use what works best for your child. If you want specific recommendations, post what kind of learner your child is and what you're looking for in a math program.

LATIN: Since the study of Latin is by definition "classical," the issue of which curriculum is "most" classical is really beside the point — again, use what works best for your child. If you want specific recommendations, post what you're specifically looking for in a Latin program (e.g. something light and fun, something grammar-focused, something that includes a lot of history, religious vs secular, etc.).

HISTORY, SCIENCE, GEOGRAPHY, etc.: IMHO, the most truly "classical" approach to content subjects is to do lots and lots of reading and thinking and Socratic discussion, rather than using some prepackaged curriculum with lots of worksheets and "activities."  So my "curriculum" recommendations for these areas would be... not to use curriculum.

Even if you're just asking people what their "favorite" curriculum is for each subject, unless you know something about that poster's approach to homeschooling, their definition of "classical," and how their kids learn, the information is not going to be useful to your own kids. One parent may rave about Singapore math, while another thinks Teaching Textbooks is the best thing ever — unless you know why those parents chose those programs and why they work for those particular kids, a bunch of random "I like XYZ" posts are not going to be helpful. 

I think at this point, the original inquiry is being taken too seriously. The OP's follow-up invited us to "play the HOF (Hall of Fame) game" and imagined "surely someone wants to play?" I cannot imagine that the OP (or anyone else, for that matter) would solicit the "best of" in a single thread and then buy the most often recommended curricula sight unseen, with no further evaluation, disregarding personal needs and proper fit. Of course, since the OP is unresponsive at this point, I wonder if he might just want this thread to die.

No, I am curious as to the responses. It really is interesting to me what each person lists as their favorite lineup of books/materials. If one looks closely enough bits of information about both the teaching and learning styles of teacher and student can be gleaned. I have a background in information mining, if that means anything ;)

OP - It might help people to answer the question if you explained why you are asking.  Are you writing an article or book?  Are you a curriculum writer?  Are you trying to decide whether or not to homeschool?  Are you a homeschooler trying to decide on your approach?  Are you a homeschooler who has picked an approach and is trying to decide on materials for next year?  This IS a large mine of information, but the information is provided by living people rather than a search engine.  People like to feel they are helping and that only tends to happen if they know how the information they are providing will be used.  I think if you begin your post by explaining who you are and what you are trying to do, people will probably be happy to answer your questions. : )

Welcome to the boards!

Nan

I am well aware that the posts here are created by humans and that I am not getting my information from a search engine. Having said that it very much is posdible to glean details about parent's teaching method, or the learning style of the student, from such a list. Just ask Google about this sort of thing. Again, my educational background is in information mining and using certain methods to that end. If one is curious as to whether I homeschool they can look at my posting history for more details.

I am well aware that the posts here are created by humans and that I am not getting my information from a search engine. Having said that it very much is posdible to glean details about parent's teaching method, or the learning style of the student, from such a list. Just ask Google about this sort of thing. Again, my educational background is in information mining and using certain methods to that end. If one is curious as to whether I homeschool they can look at my posting history for more details.

: )  I think you mistook my meaning.  Obviously, you know that.  And obviously, you are an expert in getting information.  I, however, have more experience in getting information out of this board, which sometimes is frustrating.  We all use lists like the ones you are seeking all the time.  I know you know that is a good way to get your information.  I was only trying to offer a tip for getting information out of this particular board.  I didn't mean to insult you.  I should have known you wouldn't need any elaboration, just the tip itself.  I'm sorry.  We've all watched many people approach the boards the way you just did, with about the same success, and usually someone jumps in and offers that same tip for coaxing information out of busy homeschooling parents.  And usually, by the time this same cycle of apology and explanation is over, the person is better at reading the situation on this particular board and is successful at mining the hive.  Again, I'm sorry I insulted you.  I didn't mean to.  I just posted in a hurry and didn't get my wording right.  People are often in a hurry here.  That is why it is better to explain the purpose in the post itself rather than leaving it to people to look up your past posts and learn about you.  They are likely just to move on rather than do that.  Some people here have very slow computers or are in rural areas with bad internet access, too, which makes them unlikely to do extra work to figure out whether they want to answer.  All I meant to do was offer the standard tip on how to get the information you are looking for.  There is actually a standard way to do it here that works really well. : )  That should be good news.

Again, I'm sorry.

Nan

OKBUD, I only asked for one thing in this thread. In my opinion it wasn't necessary to explain my what I planned to do with the data, nor was it necessary to state that I am a homeschool parent. I did not feel it was a vague question, and I feel everyone's input was valuable which. It was a question I felt would get more input if left as is.

I don't know what happened to my post. I thought I hit send :( The reason, or reasons, I asked for others lists of they think would be THE classical curriculum for their classroom is that we are somewhat teaching our son using the classical education model --- as we interpret it to be --- and I wanted to see what others thought. Also, I just happen to like lists and reading others'opinions of what they are teaching (not looking to debate what is the best and what isn't). Who knows, maybe other classical education homeschoolers will see mention of something have never heard of? Maybe there are homeschoolers reading this and wondering what this classical education is all about? Someone mentioned earlier The Well Trained Mind book...ye, we do have that book and I believe I saw Susan at the GHC in Cincinnati :) When I have more time I will go back through this thread nd look into all of the sources suggested. Parents, please do not EVER think that what you have to say about resources isn't going to if value. It may not help today, but people do search the forums.

I don't know what happened to my post. I thought I hit send :( The reason, or reasons, I asked for others lists of they think would be THE classical curriculum for their classroom is that we are somewhat teaching our son using the classical education model --- as we interpret it to be --- and I wanted to see what others thought. Also, I just happen to like lists and reading others'opinions of what they are teaching (not looking to debate what is the best and what isn't). Who knows, maybe other classical education homeschoolers will see mention of something have never heard of? Maybe there are homeschoolers reading this and wondering what this classical education is all about? Someone mentioned earlier The Well Trained Mind book...ye, we do have that book and I believe I saw Susan at the GHC in Cincinnati :) When I have more time I will go back through this thread nd look into all of the sources suggested. Parents, please do not EVER think that what you have to say about resources isn't going to if value. It may not help today, but people do search the forums.

Ok (still trying to help here) - so thinking about this some more, I think I might know what part of the problem is.  What you are looking for is common.  Usually, when people ask for that sort of list, they get lots of answers.  They usually say something like, "What are you using or for 3rd grade?"  or "What are your 3rd grade plans?" or even just "Third grade?".  I think perhaps you might need to take into account that you are dealing with a huge number of fairly modest mothers lol.  I know I am reluctant to post in a thread that puts me in the position of putting myself forward as an expert in classical education.  I am, however, willing to post about things which I know I AM an expert at, like picking curriculum for my own family.  Well, not an expert, obviously, far from that, but more expert than anybody else I have access to, anyway.  You don't want to know what people ARE using or HAVE used; you want to know know what they would use if they had unlimited resources.  If you reworded your post to say something like, "What would be your ideal classical education?"  I think if you replace the word "your" with "the", people would be less intimidated.  Also, your original request sounded to me like you wanted each person to provide every grade.  That would be a ton of work.  If you left out the part about the grade, I think people might be less intimidated.  Maybe?  You could try it and see if it worked, anyway.  I've found some of the past discussions on resources fun.  So have other people.  It is interesting to see all the different educational philosophies.  (I've found the input of the European board members particularly helpful when I was trying to figure out how to teach a foreign language effectively, for example.)

Here is the most recent example that I know of on the high school board.  This is typical.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/507744-lets-see-your-10th-grade-list-for-next-year/page-2

Good luck!

Nan

I like lists too. Your original question was phrased a little confusingly but I understand what you are looking for.

Math: We like using MM, BA, and LOF. I have used Saxon for a bit with my oldest and grew up on it.

English, Reading, and Writing: Good books and sometimes guides, FLL, R&S Spelling, and we are still struggling to find a good fit for vocabulary.

Science: We really are fairly interest led. I try to direct it enough to make sure they are covering the various areas of science over a few years time. We like McHenry courses and have used a lot of the suggestions and guides from GuestHollow. K-Nex makes great kits for my youngest (my oldest used them when he was younger too), Evan-Moor Daily Science can be a quick, fun over view, and we have used some Apologia and Christian Kids Explore sciences.

History/Geography: SOTW, R&S geography and history, Evan-Moor Daily Geography, Lots of map puzzles and books like Minn of the Mississippi. We are also going through a LARGE variety of books and videos surrounding Canadian history. I just use those as I find them though.

Language: We have tried Latin twice now and have gotten no where. Third times the charm? We also study Hebrew, but I outsource that as I tend to push it to the bottom of the list and then I'm too worn out to get it done. It's important to me that they study language though so outsourcing was the best option for us.

There are lots of 'What are you doing for ____ grade" threads floating around here that would give you lists of what people use. This list that I've posted here is incomplete because I can't list everything for 4 different kids off the top of my head. Very few people on here are purely classical. We bend things to make it fit our kids and teaching styles.

Here is a list for you, OP.  The most rigorous curriculum (I can come up with and implement with my kids) is as follows.  I don't know if this would be considered classical or not.

Math--Horizons + CWP

English -- R&S English + IEW Fix-It

Writing -- IEW (SWI, SICC, and others) alternating with other good quality writing programs (i.e. paragraph writing programs, and then Maxwell's School Composition starting in 5th)

Spelling -- R&S Spelling + Spelling Power lists for practice +/- Apples and Pear Spelling (for younger years--haven't used this yet)

Literature-- Book lists from Core Knowledge K-8 Sequence and VP, book reports, Figuratively Speaking, then lit papers

Vocabulary -- Read alouds defining difficult words, Word Girl on PBS, Vocabulary Workshop, +/- Word Wealth Junior in 6th+ (haven't used this yet)

Science -- BFSU, reading lots of library books, BJU Science courses (online or DVD), Science Weekly newspapers and tests

History -- Make your own, 1st half of the year cover world history, 2nd half or the year cover American history.  Repeat every year.

Logic -- Critical Thinking books, then Fallacy Detective, then Art of Argument

Handwriting-- master print and cursive, continue practicing cursive through middle school

Reading Comprehension/Test Prep--Daily Reading Comprehension (Evan-Moor)

Memory Work--CC, IEW Poetry, Speeches, U.S. History document, plus add your own

Civics/State History/Basic Economics -- Studies Weekly Newspapers + tests, Pledge of Allegiance to open school, sing patriot songs, lapbooks on civics topics

Geography -- E-M Beginning Geography, then the Complete Book of Maps and Geography gr 3-6, then Discovering World of Geography series, plus maps charts and graphs series, plus CC memory work, +/- Mapping the World with Art in middle school

Art -- ?

Music --?

I have probably forgotten various things. I left out some topics such as computer and library skills. 

There is a great deal of irony in this statement.

Mostly, I am trying not to remember that what I say here is out there for anyone to read forever.  I'd never have the courage to post if I did.  Eveyone here has been so generous and brave, though, and our lives are so different because of these boards and SWB and JB that I try really hard to tamp down the fears and share what I've learned.  I don't know if it will work for other people, so usually I wind up describing our own situation.  That is more personal than I'd like, but pontificating in generalities, which seems to be what happens when I don't just talk about my own experiences, is less helpful.  Sigh.  I may have outstayed my welcome here, anyway.  In the space of a month, I've managed to insult three people so much that they complained on the boards, which is about how many people I had insulted (or knew about, anyway) in the previous twelve years of posting here. Ug.

Nan

Mostly, I am trying not to remember that what I say here is out there for anyone to read forever. I'd never have the courage to post if I did. Eveyone here has been so generous and brave, though, and our lives are so different because of these boards and SWB and JB that I try really hard to tamp down the fears and share what I've learned. I don't know if it will work for other people, so usually I wind up describing our own situation. That is more personal than I'd like, but pontificating in generalities, which seems to be what happens when I don't just talk about my own experiences, is less helpful. Sigh. I may have outstayed my welcome here, anyway. In the space of a month, I've managed to insult three people so much that they complained on the boards, which is about how many people I had insulted (or knew about, anyway) in the previous twelve years of posting here. Ug.

Nan

Yeah, I've cringed when reading old posts of mine that I've stumbled upon. I vastly prefer for people to describe their own experiences and what works for them instead of talking in generalities. It does seem to offend more often though, because sometimes people seem to take those discussions as judgment.

I vote that you have not outstayed your welcome. I think the boards would lose a lot if the most experienced people left.

Mostly, I am trying not to remember that what I say here is out there for anyone to read forever.  I'd never have the courage to post if I did.  Eveyone here has been so generous and brave, though, and our lives are so different because of these boards and SWB and JB that I try really hard to tamp down the fears and share what I've learned.  I don't know if it will work for other people, so usually I wind up describing our own situation.  That is more personal than I'd like, but pontificating in generalities, which seems to be what happens when I don't just talk about my own experiences, is less helpful.  Sigh.  I may have outstayed my welcome here, anyway.  In the space of a month, I've managed to insult three people so much that they complained on the boards, which is about how many people I had insulted (or knew about, anyway) in the previous twelve years of posting here. Ug.

Nan

You have not outstayed your welcome!  I, personally, reference your posts often as I plan.  I, personally, hope that you are around to offer your opinion when I post questions.

As a rational human being, I can understand that whatever you say comes from your own experiences and wisdom.  My experiences may be different.  I may need to tweak to fit.  There is a reason that I post HERE instead of asking questions of other people (irl HSers, friends, family, ps teachers, etc...).

Yeah, I've cringed when reading old posts of mine that I've stumbled upon. I vastly prefer when people describe their own experiences and what works for them than talking in generalities. It does seem to offend more often though, because sometimes people seem to take those discussions as judgment. 

I vote that you have not outstayed your welcome. I think the boards would lose a lot if the most experienced people left.

"...sometimes people seem to take those discussions as judgment..."  Groan...

Some of my old posts keep resurfacing years after I've written them.  Every time one does, I reread it with my teeth clenched, waiting to see if I still agree with my old self.  They always seem to be the generality ones, too.  Figures.  So far, I've lucked out and I still agreed with what I said, but it is scary.

Thanks. : )

Nan

"...sometimes people seem to take those discussions as judgment..."  Groan...

Some of my old posts keep resurfacing years after I've written them.  Every time one does, I reread it with my teeth clenched, waiting to see if I still agree with my old self.  They always seem to be the generality ones, too.  Figures.  So far, I've lucked out and I still agreed with what I said, but it is scary.

Thanks. : )

Nan

I've not been here nearly as long, but I have the same experience with seeing my old posts.  It's part of my journey, so I'll own it.  Please, nobody count how many times I've switched math & spelling currics!!! :blushing:

Seriously, I look to many of your posts for direction and reassurance b/c HSing successes involving kids who struggle are few and far between...and candy-coated when they do emerge.  There are so many conflicting messages about what is best, but you have been openly real about the skills that need to take priority...sans the pride that spews forth in the "Buy My Curriculum" frenzy.  

So what if someone takes something you say as judgement???  (If you don't like the reflection, the problem isn't with the mirror.)  I have never gotten the sense that you are judgmental, quite the opposite.  fwiw.