Menu

What would be THE classical education curriculum

"...sometimes people seem to take those discussions as judgment..." Groan...

Some of my old posts keep resurfacing years after I've written them. Every time one does, I reread it with my teeth clenched, waiting to see if I still agree with my old self. They always seem to be the generality ones, too. Figures. So far, I've lucked out and I still agreed with what I said, but it is scary.

Thanks. : )

Nan

What I find interesting is that we can look at post we've written years earlier, and know, instantly, that it was something we wrote. Each of us definitely has own our own 'voice'.

Gotta agree, there is no absolute classical curricula. Nan, please don't leave, you are one of the posters I glean from the most.

OP, many curriculums are a mix of educational and philosophical styles. We use MFW, but it has a mix of Charlotte Mason and unit study so I wouldn't call it THE classical curricula. I make it more classical because that is more my educational style.

OP, I also want to mention, the best curricula might depend on which child. I have three very different kids ( my twins are polar opposites) and what works for one may not work for another. I personalize their education to them. That being said our favorites have been -

My Father's World k-12 with more Classical thrown in from SOTW, Memoria Press and TWTM

Math - Singapore, AoPS, Life of Fred and Khan Academy

LA - Writing with Ease, Writing with Skill, First Language Lessons, Rod and Staff, Easy Grammar and The Critical Thinking CO with some Progeny Press

Latin- Lively Latin and First Form Latin

Spanish - Homeschool Spanish Academy

I use TWTM as my classical go-to.

Not everyone has the time to search the forums, if that's what you're getting at. On top of that some just enjoy fresh conversation or might feel that older information is 'outdated'.

But other people have time to post responses to vague questions when specific information is provided often and recently? Every year, there's usually curriculum threads for every grade level. There's also worked/didn't work threads every year. With a quick scan, you can see what posters liked and didn't like and more importantly, the whys.

I mean this politely, but searching the boards is a great use of your time. No one curriculum suits every child and every parent best. At different ages, a child can have changing needs. Many parents have used different curriculum for each child, because another approach ends up working best. To ask such an overly broad question (THE classical curriculum), but expect specific answers seems unreasonable.

Everyone on these boards is busy: working, teaching, living. They offer their assistance out of generosity. If posters are saying the question is too broad and can't be answered, it might be a good idea to listen if you really want assistance.

Getting to know other posters, their children, and their history helps shape what I can glean out of the forum. Personally, I have posters that I go to when I'm looking to re-shape my teaching style or select curriculum. Certain ones I read for writing, some for science, others for middle/high school general guidelines.

I think people read way too much into my OP. Have a little fun, people, stop taking yourselves so seriously or worrying about things out of your control. To those who decided to take the time to post your favorite resources and titles, I thank you! :)

But other people have time to post responses to vague questions when specific information is provided often and recently? Every year, there's usually curriculum threads for every grade level. There's also worked/didn't work threads every year. With a quick scan, you can see what posters liked and didn't like and more importantly, the whys.

I mean this politely, but searching the boards is a great use of your time. No one curriculum suits every child and every parent best. At different ages, a child can have changing needs. Many parents have used different curriculum for each child, because another approach ends up working best. To ask such an overly broad question (THE classical curriculum), but expect specific answers seems unreasonable.

Everyone on these boards is busy: working, teaching, living. They offer their assistance out of generosity. If posters are saying the question is too broad and can't be answered, it might be a good idea to listen if you really want assistance.

Getting to know other posters, their children, and their history helps shape what I can glean out of the forum. Personally, I have posters that I go to when I'm looking to re-shape my teaching style or select curriculum. Certain ones I read for writing, some for science, others for middle/high school general guidelines.

Correct. Everybody is busy. I am not interested in explaining my position, nor does it matter to me that you think my OP was vague. Others didn't. Just because you don't agree that my OP was clear enough, or otherwise worthy of your time, doesn't mean I am wasting the time of others. I think too often people, especially when their post counts swell, automatically think they speak for the majority when that simply isn't the case.

Capecarnation, I keep saying that I would be happy to converse about what classical education is and is not, but this thread seems to be sliding towards something else.  May I recommend that you start a new thread with a bit more clarity in what you are after, and we will all go over there, start fresh, and leave this conversation behind. 

Ruth in NZ

Levelma, I have no intentions in debating what classical education is or isn't. I simply asked for people to post a list of what they felt the ultimate classical education curriculum would be. Some played along with it, and I am indeed grateful for their suggestions. So, I am left with the choice of debating curricululms and classical education, or saying enough other than a big thank you to those who played along with what SHOULD have been a fun exercise, and then leaving those intent on either putting me in my place or wanting me to entertain their wishes for discussion feeling ignored. J am sure that if you created a thread on the in's and out's of classical education you would have discussion coming out your ears ;)

Capecarnation, I have clearly upset you which was not my intention.  You don't know me or my board persona, but I would like to think that people here see me as a helpful, generally non-aggressive member.  I was trying to say in a some what subtle way so as not to upset the others who have posted, that I feel that you have been unfairly treated. And that I would love for you to try again and not have to continue with the unfortunate direction this thread has taken.  I have told you what I use and so have others, and I would love to have a conversation about why we think what we use *is* classical, because 'classical' is not easy to pin down or define. 

Please know that there are those here who would like to help.  I am a unique individual so be careful not to lash out at those of us who don't deserve it.

:grouphug:

Hope to see you on a new thread,

Ruth in NZ