Menu

Aldi has a new GF label!

Tiramisu

And I was told it's going to be a regular product line from now own. On the back of each product, it clearly labels other allergy/sensitivity concerns like DF, etc., in a large font.

http://www.examiner.com/article/aldi-s-livegfree-line-of-foods-is-economical-and-tasty

Very interesting!  I have never been in an Aldi, after exchanging several emails with them regarding labeling about allergens - at the time, they did not want to make any promises that their products would be labeled for possible cross contamination.  They recommended shopping elsewhere for people with serious allergies.  :(

Have you seen the product yet?  May I ask if it labels for the top 8 allergens or more?  

(I did read the article, and it mentions dairy, as you did, just wondering about other allergens, which it sounds like it addresses?)

Maybe it's time to shoot another email to Aldi.  :)

I'm headed there tomorrow, very excited about this.  I know I have the penne pasta, wraps, pizza crust, and *cough* cookies on my list.  The online ad also had the Glutino brand pretzels but they're usually cheaper at another local store during the sales for Celiac Awareness Month.  I'm pretty sure those have soy in them.

They've also had the (best ever) chocolate almond milk for the past two weeks.  I made popsicles and iced mocha with it this morning.

Very interesting!  I have never been in an Aldi, after exchanging several emails with them regarding labeling about allergens - at the time, they did not want to make any promises that their products would be labeled for possible cross contamination.  They recommended shopping elsewhere for people with serious allergies.   :(

Have you seen the product yet?  May I ask if it labels for the top 8 allergens or more?  

(I did read the article, and it mentions dairy, as you did, just wondering about other allergens, which it sounds like it addresses?)

Maybe it's time to shoot another email to Aldi.   :)

I have one package here of rather yummy double chocolate brownie soft baked cookies. On the back it says:

Cholesterol free, egg free, gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut free, wheat free. All are printed in large letters on a light background with bullets in between, with white space all around so it's very easy to just pick up the box and see it without having to look around for it at all. I've never seen another package where it's been so clear. It's not at the bottom of the ingredients but printed right on the back of the box in big letters with nothing else around!

I have one package here of rather yummy double chocolate brownie soft baked cookies. On the back it says:

Cholesterol free, egg free, gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut free, wheat free. All are printed in large letters on a light background with bullets in between, with white space all around so it's very easy to just pick up the box and see it without having to look around for it at all. I've never seen another package where it's been so clear. It's not at the bottom of the ingredients but printed right on the back of the box in big letters with nothing else around!

Thank you for typing that out!!!!  

:hurray:

I am ridiculously, disproportionately excited about this!  Woo hoo!!!

I wonder if these are pretty much the Enjoy Life cookies.  I eat very few treats, but I managed to polish off a box of those this weekend.  :drool5:

I wonder if these are pretty much the Enjoy Life cookies.  I eat very few treats, but I managed to polish off a box of those this weekend.  :drool5:

The label is liveGfree. :)

I got them for my GF/DF dd but she got two with lunch today and I've eaten four. 

Thank you for typing that out!!!!  

:hurray:

I am ridiculously, disproportionately excited about this!  Woo hoo!!!

Of course, not every product is free of all these things, but there are some nice options, definitely. :)

I wonder if these are pretty much the Enjoy Life cookies. I eat very few treats, but I managed to polish off a box of those this weekend. :drool5:

Almost positive they are the Enjoy Life cookies. Same flavors, same ingredients, much better price. Taste exactly the same.

For bacon lovers, Aldi also has uncured, natural bacon with no nitrates or nitrites added.

I've had reactions to processed meat lately. I hardly eat bacon but I was so happy to see that because my girls love bacon.

Yeah, that's some good bacon.  Wish they had sausage.  And DH says that Aldi's organic peppercorn ranch dressing is the best ranch dressing he's ever had.  

For bacon lovers, Aldi also has uncured, natural bacon with no nitrates or nitrites added.

I've had reactions to processed meat lately. I hardly eat bacon but I was so happy to see that because my girls love bacon.

What is the brand name on the bacon? I've been making extra trips to a different store for nitrate free bacon, but it would be great to find it at Aldi. I haven't seen it there before, but then again I haven't looked for it (I guess because I didn't expect to find it there!).

What is the brand name on the bacon? I've been making extra trips to a different store for nitrate free bacon, but it would be great to find it at Aldi. I haven't seen it there before, but then again I haven't looked for it (I guess because I didn't expect to find it there!).

SimplyNature Applewood Smoked Uncured Bacon

Yeah!  So happy to hear that, because the only place we've found the nitrate free bacon is Trader Joe's (love it!) but the closest one is an hour and a half away.

Went today based on this thread, and we tried some gf mac and cheese and brownies for dinner.  Both were very good.  We also got several other mixes and some frozen items.  Looking forward to trying them.  The gf mac and cheese is every bit as good as Amy's, which is three times the price.

I wonder if this would be worth the 45 minute drive to my closest Aldi.  I checked the ad and was surprised at the prices for the gluten free food.  My grandmother keeps telling my that Aldi will stretch my food budget.  Unfortunately, I have to weigh that decision with the gas I will have to spend to actually make it to Aldi.  Decisions, decisions.

I wonder if this would be worth the 45 minute drive to my closest Aldi.  I checked the ad and was surprised at the prices for the gluten free food.  My grandmother keeps telling my that Aldi will stretch my food budget.  Unfortunately, I have to weigh that decision with the gas I will have to spend to actually make it to Aldi.  Decisions, decisions.

If you are driving there just to shop at Aldi, it probably wouldn't be worth it unless you bought like a month's worth of food - then it probably would be.  Aldi is 30 minutes from me, but I am often in the area anyway for games or other errands, so that's when I shop.  I won't drive there just to go there.

I drive 30 minutes each way to go to our nearest Aldi's 1-2 times a month.  I stock up on things that cost nearly twice as much at our local stores (Jay C and Walmart, seriously sux).  It is most definitely worth the trip(s). I save at least $100 minimum per month, plus it keeps me out of Walmart always a bonus.  We eat better (great cheese options! and Hummus).  I stay away from their processed foods because, well it's processed, and the quality is low. Everything else is great.  You do have to make sure the produce is fresh and realize that they don't carry much in the way of organic but I can't afford that anyway.

I loaded up on several products. I did NOT like the frozen pizza. I did like the mac and cheese. I haven't tried the rest.

They will be tweaking the line depending on how people respond to it.

I've always found their labeling to be clear--they will state if something is processed on shared equipment, and they use the "may contain" or "contains" qualifiers. 

Our Aldi had just a few uncured hams at Easter. It was FANTASTIC and was about the price of a traditional ham at the grocery store. Now that I know it's good, I'll buy several next time I see them and stick them in the freezer.

This is actually a problem... The gf crackers are amazing addictively delicious. Lol.

I bought some this week even though i have been avoiding all grains just so hopefully enough is bought to keep them in the stores.

It was pretty busy in Aldi today, and about half of the people there had GF items in their hands or carts.  The cashier said it was really popular and people were very happy with it.

Yes, the GF cookies are the Enjoy Life ones, repackaged.  The granola is rice flakes, not GF oats, which made me happy because I can't have any oats.  The wraps were okay plain, but I think they'll be great warmed up as burrito tortillas.  I just shoved one in my mouth for a late lunch as I was unpacking groceries. The frozen pizzas were not a big hit with the boys, but they tend to not like any frozen pizzas, so who knows.

I bought the baking mix and yellow cake mix for my birthday meals this weekend, pizza crust and spaghetti for next week, and the chicken nuggets for those "OMG (DS4) just eat something!" days.

They had some natural chicken breakfast sausages too that looked good.  I really need to stay away from the special refrigerated case.

I'm very excited about this. We shop at Aldi's nearly exclusively and I'm thrilled that they are going to have more gluten free options our other local stores have rather small sections, that are of course overpriced (usually). My mom bought some of the chicken nuggets for the kids. We tried the baking mix they had awhile back but we weren't too impressed with it, I'm very excited to see how good the new line is. It sure would have been nice if this would have been around when I was pregnant and dead tired!