Menu

NCAA not accepting K12 courses

As of the last time I checked Oklahoma State Uni's German Online course was not NCAA approved. But OSU was the curriculum provider for the NC Virtual School. Those same German courses were approved if taken through NC Virtual.

Similar to the ChemAdvantage issue. (And if I remember correctly that was the source of the statement that high scores on AP and SAT Subject tests didn't matter to NCAA. It was all about delivery and box checking. )

Are their colleges with Varsity TKD teams? Because NCAA isn't going to be involved with club or extracurricular sports (as far as I know). It their is a team but it is not under NCAA then there might not be an issue. The only thing I can think of is if the college makes all varsity athletes follow NCAA guidelines.

It the competition is through an independent TKD school under WTF or another TKD governing body then it may not come under school oversight at all.

I'm not 100% about this honestly.  I know we have a girl going to a school in Georgia to train under one of the instructors there.  I do not know if it is just a club/outside dojang/or school sponsored thing.

As of the last time I checked Oklahoma State Uni's German Online course was not NCAA approved. But OSU was the curriculum provider for the NC Virtual School. Those same German courses were approved if taken through NC Virtual.

Similar to the ChemAdvantage issue. (And if I remember correctly that was the source of the statement that high scores on AP and SAT Subject tests didn't matter to NCAA. It was all about delivery and box checking. )

Good memory.  :D Yes, after being told that the Chemadvantage class would not be approved, I asked if I could include my son's AP score, SAT II score, and National Chemistry Olympiad results as proof that the online class was effective.  I was told that the NCAA doesn't care about the educational outcome of the class; they only are concerned with whether the class has been approved by the NCAA. 

Dh said this may be because some B&M schools have formed for athletes to go to school and do their classes online while in an actual school building virtually trying to get around the system to form good teams and let kids who are academically or behaviorally challenged qualify to play. 

Dh said this may be because some B&M schools have formed for athletes to go to school and do their classes online while in an actual school building virtually trying to get around the system to form good teams and let kids who are academically or behaviorally challenged qualify to play. 

I don't know if that is the case for other K-12's, but this is not the case for the K-12 program in Ohio that had its courses "unapproved."  The kids who enroll in the K-12 program in Ohio that is on the NCAA list are considered public school students by the state of Ohio.  However, kids who are enrolled in K-12 are not able to participate in sports governed by the Ohio High School Athletic Association - which are all sports that are connected to a brick and mortar high school.

I don't know if that is the case for other K-12's, but this is not the case for the K-12 program in Ohio that had its courses "unapproved." The kids who enroll in the K-12 program in Ohio that is on the NCAA list are considered public school students by the state of Ohio. However, kids who are enrolled in K-12 are not able to participate in sports governed by the Ohio High School Athletic Association - which are all sports that are connected to a brick and mortar high school.

Same in GA. Everyone I know who uses Ga Cyber Academy and compete in a sport are gymnasts and swimmers and the like who do not compete for any high school team. They are all in club sports and probably would not compete for a HS team even if they could--they are not being recruited for anything they do for their HS team.

At least here in CO, the only sport truly recruited out of high school is football. Every other sport has an extensive club system. I think that homeschoolers are just getting caught up in the slow moving NCAA dragnet. A higher minimum ACT of SAT score would solve many problems. But, I am starting to think that the entire collegiate sports system needs to change completely.

At least here in CO, the only sport truly recruited out of high school is football. Every other sport has an extensive club system. I think that homeschoolers are just getting caught up in the slow moving NCAA dragnet. A higher minimum ACT of SAT score would solve many problems. But, I am starting to think that the entire collegiate sports system needs to change completely.

This is also true in Ohio.  The state of Ohio now permits its homeschoolers to play for their local high school teams.  My freshman is playing for his high school team this spring because he wants to play with some of his neighborhood friends. However, the state athletic association will not permit these kids to compete in U.S.T.A. tournaments during the high school season.  As a result, his national ranking is taking a hit during the high school season.  Since the college coaches recruit based solely on the U.S.T.A. tournament results, many kids don't play for their high school teams.

The Ivy League is the only Div I athletic league that polices itself to ensure that the athletes are academically on par with the non-athlete student population and are qualified to succeed in the classroom.  If the other Div I leagues instituted policies similar to the Academic Index used in the Ivy league, the NCAA minimum ACT/SAT score requirement would not be necessary.  However, as long as football and basketball are multimillion dollar industries, I don't see that happening.

I am starting to think that the entire collegiate sports system needs to change completely.

:iagree:

Personally, I don't think the National Collegiate Athletic Association has any business at all regulating high school courses. I don't think there should be any minimum scores or required courses in order for a student athlete to be recruited by colleges. If a college wants an athlete who is barely literate, let them recruit him — but make the college responsible for educating him to certain standards and then enforce that with severe penalties for cheating. If that means the kid spends freshman year in intensive one-on-one remedial classes, and ends up taking 5 yrs to get some kind of degree — on the college's dime — then that kid will end up with a much better education than the kid who barely passed HS and barely passes a bunch of just-for-athletes college "courses" before dropping out without a degree once his eligibility is up. 

The current system is ridiculously complex, maddeningly arbitrary, and completely ineffective. They need to start from scratch, and they need to put the burden on the colleges who are making money off these kids, not on high schools and homeschoolers. If colleges were made responsible for ensuring that every recruited athlete graduates, then they'll start to be pickier about academic standards when they recruit, and the pressure to do well in high school will come from the colleges rather than from a bunch of petty bureaucrats at the NCAA.

/end rant

There was an interesting post on Slate suggesting that colleges institute an "Athletic Performance" degree similar to how there are music performance, theater, and studio art degrees. I thought the author has an intriguing argument: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/inside_higher_ed/2014/04/majoring_in_sports_colleges_should_offer_degrees_in_athletic_performance.html

Personally, I don't think the National Collegiate Athletic Association has any business at all regulating high school courses. I don't think there should be any minimum scores or required courses in order for a student athlete to be recruited by colleges. If a college wants an athlete who is barely literate, let them recruit him — but make the college responsible for educating him to certain standards and then enforce that with severe penalties for cheating. If that means the kid spends freshman year in intensive one-on-one remedial classes, and ends up taking 5 yrs to get some kind of degree — on the college's dime — then that kid will end up with a much better education than the kid who barely passed HS and barely passes a bunch of just-for-athletes college "courses" before dropping out without a degree once his eligibility is up. 

The current system is ridiculously complex, maddeningly arbitrary, and completely ineffective. They need to start from scratch, and they need to put the burden on the colleges who are making money off these kids, not on high schools and homeschoolers. If colleges were made responsible for ensuring that every recruited athlete graduates, then they'll start to be pickier about academic standards when they recruit, and the pressure to do well in high school will come from the colleges rather than from a bunch of petty bureaucrats at the NCAA.

/end rant

Excellent.  Except that I don't think that colleges really care that every recruited athlete graduates. If that were indeed the case, scholarships would not be year to year (dependent on performance), injury or coaching changes would not result in the loss of the scholarship, etc. And if colleges were required to graduate every recruited athlete, well, I could see that an "athlete track" diploma would not be worth the paper it was printed on.

There was an interesting post on Slate suggesting that colleges institute an "Athletic Performance" degree similar to how there are music performance, theater, and studio art degrees. I thought the author has an intriguing argument: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/inside_higher_ed/2014/04/majoring_in_sports_colleges_should_offer_degrees_in_athletic_performance.html

Thanks for the link. That was very interesting. In conversations with people who expressed "concern" about our involvement with athletics, I asked them if they would be that concerned if we spent the same amount of time and money on music. The answer was always an embarrassed "no."

Musicians also have a choice to attend a conservatory or a music department in a larger university. It would be cool if athletes could have a similar choice.

Excellent.  Except that I don't think that colleges really care that every recruited athlete graduates. If that were indeed the case, scholarships would not be year to year (dependent on performance), injury or coaching changes would not result in the loss of the scholarship, etc. And if colleges were required to graduate every recruited athlete, well, I could see that an "athlete track" diploma would not be worth the paper it was printed on.

The way things are now, most colleges don't really care whether any athlete graduates, as long as they get their money's worth out of the player. Why should they? And worthless "athlete track" diplomas already exist at most schools with big athletic programs. That's why I think the NCAA should focus on colleges, not high schools, and force them to give these kids an actual education in return for all the money they make from the athletic programs. It doesn't need to be a Classics degree with a 3.8 GPA, but they should at least be literate and numerate and have enough skills to get a job after the college spits them out. They could require proctored exams or standardized tests or something to ensure that college athletes are actually getting some kind of education, and impose much stiffer penalties for cheating (e.g., for every scholarship athlete that doesn't graduate, the program loses one scholarship position for the following year). 

But instead of focusing on colleges, where the real problem lies, NCAA comes up with stupid rules for high schoolers that would reject a Lukeion AP Latin course for a student who scores a 5, while giving a pass to a kid who took a PS Spanish I class from a substitute teacher who only made it through 1/3 of the text, or rejects a class taken through one provider while approving the exact same class through another provider. Idiotic rules like that cause all kinds of unnecessary problems for HS students, and yet have no effect whatsoever on college athletic programs.

IMHO the real reason NCAA focuses on high schools is because the big college athletic programs are rich and powerful and harder to regulate, whereas rules for high schoolers that make NCAA "look" tough, but have little to no actual impact, are easy to impose because no one has the money or clout to fight them over it.

I don't know... once you add in the academic components (theory & history courses, business & management courses, etc.), then you'd basically have a Sports Management degree, which is already a recognized degree, and that's probably more useful and flexible than a Sports Performance degree. The % of college athletes who go on to careers as professional athletes is really small, so the vast majority would be better served by a broader degree. (And it's not as if a Sports Management degree is so difficult that athletes need something lighter.)

Also, there's a fundamental difference between sports, on the one hand, and music/art/theater on the other, in that colleges make huge amounts of money off their sports programs, and little to none off their arts programs, so there's more of a conflict of interest in creating a degree that's basically a BA in Playing Football on Our Team.

I am still watching this topic over here carefully.  My dd is only 10 but this could be an issue for us down the road.  My understanding is that even athletes who do not receive scholarship money must adhere to the eligibility rules to even walk on NCAA Div 1 and 2 teams.

I teach at a university with a couple of high-profile sports (and lots of not-high-profile).  I have had many NCAA athletes in my classes over the last decade.  What I teach is NOT easy and the students who take my classes are seeking degrees in engineering.  Over the years, every single one of my athlete-students have been excellent despite missing a lot of class for travel.  There is a pretty extensive university procedure for ensuring students are doing well throughout the semester.  They are required to inform me well ahead of travel and to turn in any work they will miss before traveling.  They are so organized and professional.....because if they are not, they are not allowed to play or practice.  This extends to the community.  We had trouble with some athletes who lived near us.  One call to the coach and the problem was solved immediately.  Given that, this whole situation is baffling.  Of all of the NCAA athletes involved, the vast majority are not in the "big money" sports and most are riding the NCAA train to get an affordable education.  It is such a pity that the behavior of a small minority is requiring everyone to jump through these hoops.  I agree with other above that this is something that should be addressed at the college level, not high school.

Skimomma, based on the research I have done, the fact that you have athletes studying engineering while playing a sport at the Div I level (especially if you teach at a non-Ivy) is very unusual.  Many athletes have found that labs are usually scheduled in the afternoons and conflict with practice and games, preventing them from attending the lab.  Because at the Div I level, practice takes priority over a lab.

My friend's daughter was recruited to play her sport at a highly regarded academic Div I private university.  She ended up changing majors because it was going to be impossible for her to graduate in four years because her original major required her to take more than one science class per term and the college restricted athletes to only one science class per term .  She was not aware of this "rule" prior to enrolling. 

My oldest is in the midst of the college recruiting process now.  He has decided to play Div III even though he is being recruited by highly academic Div I schools.  His friend, who has athletic and academic stats in the same range as my son, is coming to the same conclusion after visiting and speaking with many Div I coaches. 

The good news for me is that I don't have to bother with the NCAA for at least a couple more years.

Skimomma, based on the research I have done, the fact that you have athletes studying engineering while playing a sport at the Div I level (especially if you teach at a non-Ivy) is very unusual.  Many athletes have found that labs are usually scheduled in the afternoons and conflict with practice and games, preventing them from attending the lab.  Because at the Div I level, practice takes priority over a lab.

My friend's daughter was recruited to play her sport at a highly regarded academic Div I private university.  She ended up changing majors because it was going to be impossible for her to graduate in four years because her original major required her to take more than one science class per term and the college restricted athletes to only one science class per term .  She was not aware of this "rule" prior to enrolling. 

My oldest is in the midst of the college recruiting process now.  He has decided to play Div III even though he is being recruited by highly academic Div I schools.  His friend, who has athletic and academic stats in the same range as my son, is coming to the same conclusion after visiting and speaking with many Div I coaches. 

The good news for me is that I don't have to bother with the NCAA for at least a couple more years.

Haha! I jumped through all the hoops. Then, my girls decided to go with Div 3. They just plain preferred the school. Dd19b is in one of those heavy lab majors. She does miss a good bit of practice. She'll have THREE lab classes fall semester. EEeekkk! Many of their friends who decided to play in the big leagues (division one powerhouses) have dropped their sport. Just no way to do their major and make required practices. Lucky for these kids they didn't need the $ to got o school.

I should have made clear that not all of the athletics at my school are Division 1.  The most high-profile sport is, which was the student-athletes I had in mind when replying.  Others compete in Division 2.  It was not until his topic came up that I even knew a school could have a mix...I thought you were either 1 or 2 or whatever....  But whatever the case, you are right, the practices and travel make labs difficult for all of the athletes.  However, the school has done a great job making it possible and many of our athletes are engineering or science majors.  All labs have morning and afternoon offerings.  

We heard a college coach tell a group of parents that science majors, theater majors and studio art were practically impossible to do if you were a scholarship D1 athlete. If you are a walk-on or not on the travel squad it is more possible.

He was talking about top 20 programs.

I am still watching this topic over here carefully.  My dd is only 10 but this could be an issue for us down the road.  My understanding is that even athletes who do not receive scholarship money must adhere to the eligibility rules to even walk on NCAA Div 1 and 2 teams.

Does this apply to club sports? For example, UT Austin has a crew club that competes against other schools but you have to pay dues, it's not university sponsored. Does something like this come under NCAA rules? Trinqueta's not interested in the big team sports, but she is athletic and wants to continue to do sports and might even want to walk on to a crew or a rugby team. Do I need to worry about this NCAA stuff or is it unlikely to apply to this situation?

Does this apply to club sports? For example, UT Austin has a crew club that competes against other schools but you have to pay dues, it's not university sponsored. Does something like this come under NCAA rules? Trinqueta's not interested in the big team sports, but she is athletic and wants to continue to do sports and might even want to walk on to a crew or a rugby team. Do I need to worry about this NCAA stuff or is it unlikely to apply to this situation?

It does not apply to club sports at any school, but it does apply to walk-ons to non-club sports at Div I and II schools.

No, club sports are not regulated by NCAA, nor are Div 3 sports. But if there's a chance she might want to do a Div 1 or 2 team (not club) then you'd have to deal with NCAA, even as a walk-on.

Actually Div 3 sports are regulated also. Plenty of rules in place there as to recruiting and practices. 

But at least we don't have to participate in the farce of the NCAA Clearinghouse in order for our kids to play at the Div III level.  I just wish all Div III schools abided by the same recruiting rules.  The lack of uniformity makes it more challenging to navigate the recruiting process at the Div III level.

But at least we don't have to participate in the farce of the NCAA Clearinghouse in order for our kids to play at the Div III level.  I just wish all Div III schools abided by the same recruiting rules.  The lack of uniformity makes it more challenging to navigate the recruiting process at the Div III level.

Only, I played the game. I put lots of energy into it. I am glad we went through before all this insanity hit. It was bad enough last year before it got truly crazy. I believe all the D3 schools are supposed to abide by the same rules. The swim coach at dd's school is a real stickler for adhering to them. The D2 school down the road...does not follow them at all. I have been tempted to report her. 

Only, I played the game. I put lots of energy into it. I am glad we went through before all this insanity hit. It was bad enough last year before it got truly crazy. I believe all the D3 schools are supposed to abide by the same rules. The swim coach at dd's school is a real stickler for adhering to them. The D2 school down the road...does not follow them at all. I have been tempted to report her. 

I am not sure we are referring to the same "rules."  My son has four schools at the top of his list.  The admissions officers at three out of the four Div III schools give the coaches slots.  Not only does the coach at the fourth school not have slots, he has no say at all with admissions.  Guess which school is my son's top choice. :glare:

Had any of the other three been a clear top choice, he could commit now and be done.  The difficult part is that some coaches will not wait for an athlete to weigh all of his options.  It can be a gamble because the coach may use his slot on another recruit.  Nothing quite ratchets up the stress level like reading the posts on the Athletic Recruits forum on College Confidential. :scared:

Yeah, I meant contact times, practice times, gifts, grade requirements. Admissions wise, I guess that does come down to the individual schools. I never really thought about the coaches having slots saved for their choice athletes. Didn't dross my mind that they would have that.

Yeah, I meant contact times, practice times, gifts, grade requirements. Admissions wise, I guess that does come down to the individual schools. I never really thought about the coaches having slots saved for their choice athletes. Didn't dross my mind that they would have that.

I saw a chart at one time, that listed the different rules by division but can't find it now.  Anyone have a link?

I saw a chart at one time, that listed the different rules by division but can't find it now.  Anyone have a link?

Are you referring to the recruiting time frame rules for each division?   I remember reading those "rules" (if those are the rules you are referring to), but based on my experiences with my boys and their peers, there are so many loopholes that they are pretty meaningless, imo. 

Are you referring to the recruiting time frame rules for each division?   I remember reading those "rules" (if those are the rules you are referring to), but based on my experiences with my boys and their peers, there are so many loopholes that they are pretty meaningless, imo. 

No, it was academic and practice time rules.

I just did the pre-enrollment conference/presentation for Texas Virtually Academy (which uses K12) since my middle school son is considering using it next year.  They made a big deal about being NCAA approved.  We don't need that approval, but I noticed it because of this thread.

Actually Div 3 sports are regulated also. Plenty of rules in place there as to recruiting and practices. 

Yes, sorry, I should have been clearer that I was just referring to the NCAA Clearinghouse. I meant that students headed to Div III schools don't have to jump through the kind of academic hoops we're talking about in order to be eligible to play.

Division III college-bound student-athletes are not certified by the NCAA Eligibility Center because Division III colleges and universities each set their own admissions standards. College-bound student-athletes should contact their Division III college or university of interest regarding policies on admission, financial aid and athletics eligibility.

Yes, sorry, I should have been clearer that I was just referring to the NCAA Clearinghouse. I meant that students headed to Div III schools don't have to jump through the kind of academic hoops we're talking about in order to be eligible to play.

Yeah, but every single person I know who plays Div3 has been through the Clearinghouse. It is something you have to do anyway because you really don't know what division your dc will decide to join. There may be a random student out there who decides to go D3 just to avoid it, but the vast majority are going through the process anyway. This (Clearinghouse) isn't something you do at the last minute when your dc decides which school they will attend. Wait, no, I do know a few who didn't. They walked onto the team after they were already in school. I believe they would have not had to use the Clearinghouse even in the other divisions.

If you walk on as a freshman in D1 or D2, I think you have to be cleared by the eligibility center. If you walk on as a sophomore, then you just need your freshman year grades.

Lolly is right. If you plan on competing in college athletics at all you should go through the clearinghouse, because you never know what division you might end up in. This is why the inability to count on approved courses is so frustrating.

Yeah, but every single person I know who plays Div3 has been through the Clearinghouse. It is something you have to do anyway because you really don't know what division your dc will decide to join. There may be a random student out there who decides to go D3 just to avoid it, but the vast majority are going through the process anyway. This (Clearinghouse) isn't something you do at the last minute when your dc decides which school they will attend. 

Even if a student submits the paperwork at the beginning of 11th grade, NCAA will not begin to review it until a college coach formally places the student on his Institutional Request List, so IMO it makes more sense to wait until you have a coach willing to make that request. This is especially true for students who are leaning towards Div III, or who are more likely to end up as walk-ons — no point in going through all that hassle if it's unnecessary in the end.

Approximately 180,000 students register with the NCAA Eligibility Center every year; 60% of those are never recruited.

They walked onto the team after they were already in school. I believe they would have not had to use the Clearinghouse even in the other divisions.

Walk-ons for Div I & II still have to go through the Clearinghouse in order to play in their freshman year. If they join the team as sophomores, then their HS record is no longer relevant.

Even if a student submits the paperwork at the beginning of 11th grade, NCAA will not begin to review it until a college coach formally places the student on his Institutional Request List, so IMO it makes more sense to wait until you have a coach willing to make that request. This is especially true for students who are leaning towards Div III, or who are more likely to end up as walk-ons — no point in going through all that hassle if it's unnecessary in the end.

Approximately 180,000 students register with the NCAA Eligibility Center every year; 60% of those are never recruited.

Walk-ons for Div I & II still have to go through the Clearinghouse in order to play in their freshman year. If they join the team as sophomores, then their HS record is no longer relevant.

But, if you wait until the end, you really have a hassle. You have to approach the whole situation like they will need to meet all of the requirements. Whether they are ever processed or not, the steps are the same on the part of the student/parent/school. This is especially true now with all these new requirements. If you do not started the whole process from the time these kids are freshmen (keeping up with books used including isbn numbers, planning which classes would most likely be acceptable), you can have a nightmare of a situation on your hands. The kids who do end up being signed in D3 are often being recruited by D1 and 2 schools. It takes six months to be cleared after a coach has put you on their list. These kids are often cleared way before they make a decision. If you wait until your decision is made, it is sometimes too late to be cleared to play. Mine were on a Institutional Request List the fall of their senior year. Their final decision on a school wasn't made until spring. You just can't wait that long.

But, if you wait until the end, you really have a hassle. You have to approach the whole situation like they will need to meet all of the requirements. Whether they are ever processed or not, the steps are the same on the part of the student/parent/school. This is especially true now with all these new requirements. If you do not started the whole process from the time these kids are freshmen (keeping up with books used including isbn numbers, planning which classes would most likely be acceptable), you can have a nightmare of a situation on your hands. The kids who do end up being signed in D3 are often being recruited by D1 and 2 schools. It takes six months to be cleared after a coach has put you on their list. These kids are often cleared way before they make a decision. If you wait until your decision is made, it is sometimes too late to be cleared to play. Mine were on a Institutional Request List the fall of their senior year. Their final decision on a school wasn't made until spring. You just can't wait that long.

This must vary depending on the sport because the vast majority of the top recruits in my boys' sport declare the summer between junior and senior year, if not before.  The NCAA will not even look at your documentation until you have completed 6 high school semesters, which places the student at the end of junior year.  As a result, many kids know which college they will be attending before they are even able to send in the documentation. 

My junior is receiving requests by college coaches to commit now, as are his peers.

I agree that keeping documentation is a good idea, but I don't think everyone should automatically go through the hassle of the clearinghouse.

It does vary by sport. I know that women's soccer commit in their junior year. In swimming, however, coaches cannot contact swimmers until July 1 of the summer between their junior and senior year. Obviously, the parent or athlete can contact the coach before that. I don't know if the difference is between equivalency sports and head-count sports, but there seems to be different time tables.

This must vary depending on the sport because the vast majority of the top recruits in my boys' sport declare the summer between junior and senior year, if not before.  The NCAA will not even look at your documentation until you have completed 6 high school semesters, which places the student at the end of junior year.  As a result, many kids know which college they will be attending before they are even able to send in the documentation. 

My junior is receiving requests by college coaches to commit now, as are his peers.

I agree that keeping documentation is a good idea, but I don't think everyone should automatically go through the hassle of the clearinghouse.

Must be very sport dependent. July 1st after the junior year is the official date for coaches to be allowed to call and official visits to be made to the schools for swimming. 

Found an interesting link: http://www.recruitlook.com/index.php?do=/public/ncaaRules/ It gives the various contact times for sports. July 1st after junior year seems to be fairly common. Basketball is earlier. I didn't look at all of the sports. Too much information. My brain might overload! So, it is sport dependent, but most sports do not allow real recruiting until the senior year. Piddley recruiting, yes. Your dc must be in one of the odd sports as far as recruiting goes.

I'm not saying that parents shouldn't keep good records, or keep abreast of NCAA requirements; I'm saying there's no point in filling out all the forms and filing the paperwork until there's a coach who's willing to put the student on the IRL. Because otherwise that paper will just sit in a drawer.

Around 100,000 kids every year, submit paperwork, pay $70, and never have their paperwork reviewed, because no coach requested it. That's a huge waste of time and money.

According to the NCAA, most students are cleared very quickly, although I can see how homeschoolers might take a bit longer:

The vast majority of prospective student-athletes placed on a Division I or II institutions request list (IRL) are certified, most within days of submitting all of the required information and requesting final certification.

Must be very sport dependent. July 1st after the junior year is the official date for coaches to be allowed to call and official visits to be made to the schools for swimming. 

Found an interesting link: http://www.recruitlook.com/index.php?do=/public/ncaaRules/ It gives the various contact times for sports. July 1st after junior year seems to be fairly common. Basketball is earlier. I didn't look at all of the sports. Too much information. My brain might overload! So, it is sport dependent, but most sports do not allow real recruiting until the senior year. Piddley recruiting, yes. Your dc must be in one of the odd sports as far as recruiting goes.

I think the recruiting dates for my kids' sport is the typical time frame. Technically, the contact time is July 1st after junior year.  However, "recruiting" happens way before then as there are ways to contact the players and still be in compliance with the July 1st contact date.