Menu

CPAP + camping?

Forget-Me-Not

Anyone encountered this?  My husband uses a CPAP and will need to go on the occasional scout camp out with our son.  His sleep apnea is such that he does not like to go even one night without the CPAP machine.  I'm wondering if there is a battery pack or something he can buy so he can use it while camping. 

If he can park near the tent, there is a thing you can buy to plug into the cigarette lighter all night.  Our tent has a flap just for cords and things to pass through.  We just have to crack the car window to get the cpap cord through.  This is what we use.  Otherwise, put your tent in a spot that has electricity, usually those spots are for rvs but tents are generally allowed also.

We have not tried a battery pack.

I have opted NOT to do the week long camp out this summer because of this issue.  Cars cannot be parked next to the tents.  There will be no way to recharge a battery pack each night, and the doctor said my apnea is pretty bad.

I will send DH!

Hi,

I tried the car battery idea at my son's Scout campout, and it didn't work for me.  It did get my CPAP working, but not the heater/humidifier.  On a cold night, there was no way to sleep with such cold air under pressure.

If you call the Scout camp directly and ask, I've found that most can arrange electricity for medical use, even though the camp doesn't have electricity for most of the camp sites.  It's a common medical issue.  You will have the best luck if you call asap, and ask the your son's pack be put in an area where there is electricity for Dad.

Don't depend on the pack to arrange this.  I found I had to do it myself, or it didn't happen.

Good luck,

GA Cub Mom

I know several people who use either store bought or homemade (from car battery) battery packs. One guy recharges with solar panels (handy to camp with because he lets people charge their phones, too). Most camping venues I've been to have somewhere with power (restroom, first aid station etc.) where a battery pack can be charged during the day if needed.

Hi,

I tried the car battery idea at my son's Scout campout, and it didn't work for me.  It did get my CPAP working, but not the heater/humidifier.  On a cold night, there was no way to sleep with such cold air under pressure.

If you call the Scout camp directly and ask, I've found that most can arrange electricity for medical use, even though the camp doesn't have electricity for most of the camp sites.  It's a common medical issue.  You will have the best luck if you call asap, and ask the your son's pack be put in an area where there is electricity for Dad.

Don't depend on the pack to arrange this.  I found I had to do it myself, or it didn't happen.

Good luck,

GA Cub Mom

You need to have a certain rated car battery.  DH's works the humidifier and the heater.  

We were at the CPAP shop picking up DHs new machine last week and I saw an independent battery pack. Seriously thinking about getting one for my husband as his apnea is pretty severe. Never used one, the battery packs claimed they could run the humidifier (they seemed to use those huge torch batteries, but I didn't get a close look). I'd be concerned with a car battery one on a cold night though. 

Like others, dh uses a battery he made up himself, except his is not a car battery but a marine battery.  It's a deep cycle, maybe?  (It lasts longer than a car battery, he said.)  I can't recall exactly.  Anyway, it works for a week+ of camping if he doesn't use the humidifier and 3-4 nights (roughly) if he does.  The battery is heavy and it was expensive, but it was worth every penny to have dh sleeping well when we camp.   :)

We were at the CPAP shop picking up DHs new machine last week and I saw an independent battery pack. Seriously thinking about getting one for my husband as his apnea is pretty severe. Never used one, the battery packs claimed they could run the humidifier (they seemed to use those huge torch batteries, but I didn't get a close look). I'd be concerned with a car battery one on a cold night though. 

DH has used his in below freezing temps and it works.