Menu

If we *don't* use AoPs prealgebra, which prealgebra?

My son liked the sample I printed out of AoPs prealgebra, but then I keep reading that it is confusing, and not nearly as well done as their Intro to Algebra text. So what would the Hive recommend to take the place of the prealgebra program? Or should we just go for it?

Do you know anybody with a copy who would let you look through the full book?

FWIW, I spent about an hour last fall looking through a friend's copies of both the pre-algebra and the intro to algebra books. That reinforced my perception that my DD would *HATE* the "discovery" approach. And while the AOPS problems are challenging, they appeared very similar to the more difficult ones in Singapore Discovering Math with the workbook.

The pros to Singapore DM: integrated sequence, challenging problems, direct instruction rather than "discovery" approach

The cons to Singapore DM: little guidance in the TM, integrated sequence can make switching to a traditional sequence part way through tricky, cost is fairly high (~$150 for each grade)

Do you know anybody with a copy who would let you look through the full book?

FWIW, I spent about an hour last fall looking through a friend's copies of both the pre-algebra and the intro to algebra books. That reinforced my perception that my DD would *HATE* the "discovery" approach. And while the AOPS problems are challenging, they appeared very similar to the more difficult ones in Singapore Discovering Math with the workbook.

The pros to Singapore DM: integrated sequence, challenging problems, direct instruction rather than "discovery" approach

The cons to Singapore DM: little guidance in the TM, integrated sequence can make switching to a traditional sequence part way through tricky, cost is fairly high (~$150 for each grade)

Of course you do, GIllian, me! You are welcome to borrow our copy of AoPS PreA, too.

We are using Lial's here and it is getting the job done.  I find the explanations to be clear.  We came into it following MM6 and, quite frankly, find it to be quite a bit easier.  Most of the material has been review (we're halfway through) and the new material is very easy to teach. 

I say "getting the job done" only because my DD is more of an AoPS-type thinker and finds it "tedious," but compulsive enough not to want to switch curricula.  But that's another thread.

(FWIW, I have the TE for the Pre-Algebra/Algebra text and I have been using the Algebra portion as a refresher course.  I think it's awesome, but that's me, the linear thinker.)

FWIW I don't find the pre-algebra book to be confusing. Adults may find the explanations complex because they are so familiar with the basic concepts. The book explains pre-algebra in the exact same manner the other AoPS books explain algebra, geometry, and higher maths.

I don't know whether confusing is the right word for AOPS Pre-A. It offers more information than is usually seen in other pre-algebra books and maybe more than is necessary for a pre-A book, perhaps, or is necessary for most kids. There is an initial adjustment for sure since most of our kids are coming out from the usual programs, MM, SM, Saxon, CLE, Horizon, etc.

I happen to have DM and Dolciani. They are both quite good, although the former is integrated, as CW mentioned, and expensive. Dolciani is like MM, straightforward and has challenging problems.

We are planning to take Tabletclass prealgebra this fall, and eventually work our way into AOPS. Issue I have is that I am not dedicated, or even convinced really, by the discovery method. I found Beast academy annoying, for example. I love how clean cut Singapore is. I do however, need a fully supported product, and AOPS seems to be it...I also wish I could look through samples: DS does some simple algebra now (sets up equations instead of using bar method) and I don't know whether AOPS will reinvent that particular wheel for us and try to each a new way or what have you.

We tried AoPS Pre-A and it wasn't a fit. Of course, we didn't try it for more than a month or so, so perhaps we should have given it more time. But when we started TabletClass, DS was just so content, I figured "why rock the boat?" He is now in TC Algebra and will be finished with it over the summer. 

My oldest used Chalkdust Pre-Algebra because back then AoPS didn't have Pre-A. It was rigorous, and he complained the whole time. The next year, he moved into AoPS Algebra and said that if it wasn't for the CD Pre-Alg foundation, he "would have died."

He subsequently took 6 AoPS classes after that and loved every single one. He is now a math lover and is even considering majoring or minoring in math. :)

The discovery approach isn't for everyone, though. My other son is bright and good at math, but AoPS would drive him crazy. My oldest keeps wishing his younger brother could have the experience he had, but even he agrees that it would not be the right fit. 

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe it's partly a learning curve with the AoPS style?   I did find the PreA book hard to use, but I love the Intro Algebra book.  So obviously, YMMV.

We jumped ship AoPs Pre-A to Dolciani Pre-A. Now going into Algebra I for 7th grade, should we try Intro to Algebra? Can you just skip AoPs Pre-A? And is Intro Alg so much different?

We tried a bit of AoPS prealgebra, but didn't love it.  We were using it with a 9yo though.  We have instead spent this year messing around in LoF physics and pre-algebra (I hate Fred, but DS1 likes the change of pace), finishing up Singapore 5 IP, and dabbling in a few other things like Jacob's algebra.  Ch 2 of AoPS was annoying to me when I looked through it, but I think it is time to revisit it.  It has been a few months and I think DS1 and I may be ready to try it again this summer.  I've heard a few people say they didn't care for the pre-algebra as much as intro to algebra. 

We jumped ship AoPs Pre-A to Dolciani Pre-A. Now going into Algebra I for 7th grade, should we try Intro to Algebra? Can you just skip AoPs Pre-A? And is Intro Alg so much different?

Intro to Algebra was published before Pre-A, so people did use the former without the latter. If you're done with Dolciani, I would give Intro a try. It's hard to tell how a child responds to AOPS. I really didn't know until we started, but DD is claiming it's making her dumber, killing some brain cells with every problem. Yet, she continues with it.

Some people do like Intro better than Pre-A. If that's the case, it will mean that those who are using Pre-A now will be moving toward something even better, perhaps.

Heck, I don't know! We haven't done it successfully yet.  It's just a plan at this point.  ;)  :D

But I know that regentrude's kids started with Intro Algebra, for example, and used AoPS all through high school (the PreA book didn't exist yet) and I'm sure that's the case with other users with high-school age kids, too.  You can definitely do the Algebra book without having done the AoPS PreA book, provided your student is really prepared.  I think the thing is with AoPS is that you can't fake it, KWIM?  I like that, it keeps me honest.

My young student is doing the Alcumus for the PreA as a supplement right now, and plugging along nicely. I don't think we'll do the PreA book.

It was recommended to me on another board to consider using the Number Theory text instead of the PreA book. So our "PreA" year next year will be Intro to Number Theory, Patty Paper Geometry and probably CLE's math development books. She's testing through the free "My Teacher" Pre A from Homeschool Buyers over the summer, so we'll fill in any gaps afterwards.