Menu

Okay, that was not fun.

I found the right highway.

I found the metro station.

I successfully bought tickets, and got us on the correct train, and into DC.

I met up with the people I went to meet with.

We saw the WWII memorial.

Then, my oldest son took a bad fall and sprained his ankle, outside the Washington Monument. I supported him while he hopped on one foot, all the way back to the Metro.

The train was delayed for 40 minutes.

We finally got on a train and made it back to our station. Where I supported my son, whose foot was now *worse,* back through the metro station and up to the bus stop, where I left him and went to get the car.

In order to pick him up, I had to go into the bus entrance and brave the wrath of the bus drivers.

Then I drove home. You know, of course, that I missed my exit. It took a grand total of three hours for us to get home, from his fall to our front door.

Now he's on the couch with his ankle wrapped, and painkillers in him. I don't think we need to take him in, but it's going to hurt for awhile.

Of course, I have a friend coming in from out of town who should be here any minute. Is the house clean? No. Is her bed ready? No. Can I deal with dinner? Ha!

I am amazed at the complete lack of anyone willing to offer aid to us, as we struggled along the Mall and in the Metro stations. Geez. I'd like to use my tax dollars to set up first aid booths at intervals along the Mall!

I'm sorry that no one helped you. Wash. D.C. can be cold. I noticed that after I moved to Baltimore and then worked in D.C. for a while (of course in Baltimore I found people irritatingly familar at first! Then I found folks in D.C. cold in demeanor after I returned there; there's no pleasing me!).

I hope your son's ankle is better soon.

If something like this happens again, approach the National Park Rangers for help, or maybe the staff at the Smithsonian. There should have been several rangers around the Washington Monument and some of the other monuments. There's also a Park Ranger office/visitor center tucked in with the monuments. I don't know if the park rangers would have an ace bandaid for you to take home, but they should be able to get you transportation to the Metro (I don't think Smithsonian staff could do that). I know that in the past, I've gotten first aid for stupid things like blisters. (stupid because I know how to prevent them and didn't take those steps)

If something like this happens again, approach the National Park Rangers for help, or maybe the staff at the Smithsonian. There should have been several rangers around the Washington Monument and some of the other monuments. There's also a Park Ranger office/visitor center tucked in with the monuments. I don't know if the park rangers would have an ace bandaid for you to take home, but they should be able to get you transportation to the Metro (I don't think Smithsonian staff could do that). I know that in the past, I've gotten first aid for stupid things like blisters. (stupid because I know how to prevent them and didn't take those steps)

:iagree: That is what I would have done, but then they would have been pressuring you with a trip to the ER. Your day was bad enough without a trip to the ER. Yeeks. Sorry you has such a day.:grouphug:

I kept thinking there should have been *something* like that, but I guess I don't know how to find the park rangers. I will definitely look that up before we do again.

That's a bummer about your ds's foot!

Although, with DC having one of the highest crime rates in the US, it might be a blessing in disguise that no one stopped to help.

Glad you made it home ok, and your out-town-guest will most likely understand!

:grouphug:

:iagree:

I am amazed at the complete lack of anyone willing to offer aid to us, as we struggled along the Mall and in the Metro stations. Geez. I'd like to use my tax dollars to set up first aid booths at intervals along the Mall!

Unfortunately, this is standard, because the people who might well help you would pick your pocket. When I lived in NYC, the *politest* thing you could do with not touch anyone and ignore. I did helpful things like offer directions to lost people who were obviously from out of town, or give up a seat to a PG lady, but help a woman and child? They'd have thought me a thief or pervert.

Unfortunately, this is standard, because the people who might well help you would pick your pocket. When I lived in NYC, the *politest* thing you could do with not touch anyone and ignore. I did helpful things like offer directions to lost people who were obviously from out of town, or give up a seat to a PG lady, but help a woman and child? They'd have thought me a thief or pervert.

That is just insane. And very, very sad.

That is just insane. And very, very sad.

Actually, after living in NYC for 10 years, it was very sensible. If you offered help, you were giving more trouble to someone in trouble...they had to figure out your motives while they hobbled.

I did also see "group" efforts (like a crowd of us stopping a middle aged man from beating on his low IQ brother), but a big city is not the same as a small town, and people do not act the same. When I first got to the city I saw a woman trying to pull a baby out of a stroller with one arm (the other had bags, which she wasn't about to put in the cab first (he could drive off) nor set down (they could be grabbed). The child's legs were caught and she was lifting the toddler and the stuck stroller by toddlers hand....just asking for a dislocation, and I offered to help (I was a cutey-pie 26 year old in nice clothes and no New York accent).

You'd have thought I was offering boiling oil.

I also helped a middle aged blind man off a subway, and he groped me. After that, it was eyes forward.

But group efforts against injustice, I did see that.

Actually, after living in NYC for 10 years, it was very sensible. If you offered help, you were giving more trouble to someone in trouble...they had to figure out your motives while they hobbled.

I did also see "group" efforts (like a crowd of us stopping a middle aged man from beating on his low IQ brother), but a big city is not the same as a small town, and people do not act the same. When I first got to the city I saw a woman trying to pull a baby out of a stroller with one arm (the other had bags, which she wasn't about to put in the cab first (he could drive off) nor set down (they could be grabbed). The child's legs were caught and she was lifting the toddler and the stuck stroller by toddlers hand....just asking for a dislocation, and I offered to help (I was a cutey-pie 26 year old in nice clothes and no New York accent).

You'd have thought I was offering boiling oil.

I also helped a middle aged blind man off a subway, and he groped me. After that, it was eyes forward.

But group efforts against injustice, I did see that.

I understand, but OTOH I have visibly needed aid in Chicago, and have been helped, and all was well. DH offered help in Chicago as well, and it was well-received. I don't have any experience with New York, but I've spent a good bit of time in other cities. I've never had my pocket picked, but in certain cities and areas I do expect to be hit up for money after any kind of assistance :glare:

And on the Mall, where the crime rate is not the same as the rest of DC ... I mean, I just think someone who saw us hobble by should have offered to get a park ranger at the very least.