Another Baking Competition. Please Vote for the Best Looking Pie

Embassy

Best Looking Pie  

125 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best looking pie?

• Truly Coconutty Cream Pie
    • OREO Triple Layer Chocolate Pie
    • Blueberry Pie

We had another baking competition today in our little homeschool.  My 3 kids each made a pie (with assistance as necessary).  We tasted them all tonight and chose a winner for the best tasting pie, but we need a winner for the best looking pie.  If you want to vote you can go to my blog here and see pictures of the different pies.  

You can vote on the blog or here, but please only vote in one place.

Thanks!  My kids love seeing the poll results :)

Honestly, all three look great. You must be a great teacher.  

I have to say that including pie baking in your education plans is one way to make the world a better place. :)

I voted for the Coconut, but I wanted to eat all three.  The lattice is probably a lot more challenging, so maybe I should have voted for that?

Would it be possible to get the recipe for the coconut pie? It looks so good! :)

Sure, it is here:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/truly-coconutty-cream-pie/  Instead of the coconut-flavored rum, my kid used some coconut flour to replace some of the all purpose flour. and used a bit more coconut water.  My kid also used butter instead of butter flavored shortening.  It turned out okay with those changes, but the original might be better.  

I have to say that when you first began the competitions, I felt uncomfortable voting and choosing the "best" from one of your kids.  But I now know what a success this has been for your family and how much they all enjoy it.  I think it's really cool that you've given them the opportunity to make so many different things, that you've remained committed to this for so long (one of my downfalls is lack of longterm commitment).

These are honestly ALL such gorgeous pies that I'm not sure yet how I'm going to vote.  I'll truly have to study all of the photos v-e-r-y carefully.  What a talented group of kids, and what wonderful memories you are all making through your continued baking competitions!

ETA:  It came down to minor things, how well the crusts turned out, and how carefully the tops were arranged.  The oreo cookie pie would win for creativity and I applaud the thought behind it, but I think the initial vision didn't come together quite as well when it was all put together.  In the end, I voted for the Coconut Pie--but when I saw the way the votes counted out, I wanted to change to help even things out!  I feel like I'm a judge on Food Network, it was not an easy decision. I think this is the most even competition so far!  Really, really, kudos to all of your bakers!!!!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

2nd ETA, lol:  15yods said the berry pie was the best looking, but if he were choosing to eat one, he'd pick the Oreo pie in a heartbeat.  So I guess that's kind of like a vote for each pie.

I have to say that when you first began the competitions, I felt uncomfortable voting and choosing the "best" from one of your kids.  But I now know what a success this has been for your family and how much they all enjoy it.  I think it's really cool that you've given them the opportunity to make so many different things, that you've remained committed to this for so long (one of my downfalls is lack of longterm commitment).

These are honestly ALL such gorgeous pies that I'm not sure yet how I'm going to vote.  I'll truly have to study all of the photos v-e-r-y carefully.  What a talented group of kids, and what wonderful memories you are all making through your continued baking competitions!

ETA:  It came down to minor things, how well the crusts turned out, and how carefully the tops were arranged.  The oreo cookie pie would win for creativity and I applaud the thought behind it, but I think the initial vision didn't come together quite as well when it was all put together.  In the end, I voted for the Coconut Pie--but when I saw the way the votes counted out, I wanted to change to help even things out!  I feel like I'm a judge on Food Network, it was not an easy decision. I think this is the most even competition so far!  Really, really, kudos to all of your bakers!!!!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

2nd ETA, lol:  15yods said the berry pie was the best looking, but if he were choosing to eat one, he'd pick the Oreo pie in a heartbeat.  So I guess that's kind of like a vote for each pie.

Thanks ThisIsTheDay!  My kids love doing things in the kitchen, unless you count doing dishes :)  The winning and losing was an adjustment for them at first.  I see it as a life lesson.  They need to learn how to win gracefully and lose gracefully too.  They need to be okay with their creation even if they didn't win.  This is something my kids have needed to practice and these little "competitions" have helped them do just that.  Also, my youngest has decided that her future career will be taste testing, lol.  We plan to continue next school year, but will probably branch off into different cuisines or themes.  

I have loved seeing the results of your baking competitions through the months, and I plan on totally stealing the idea for my children next year!

As for the pies, this time it's extremely tough. All of them look absolutely delicious! In the end I think the blueberry pie might edge the others out slightly for that beautiful lattice. But then again, the coconut has that wonderful cream layer, and the Oreo pie is making my mouth water. Decisions, decisions... :) Great job to kiddos all around!