Menu

We saw Mr. Peabody and Sherman today

SewLittleTime

My oldest took my youngest, who was adopted, to see it.  It's taken hours to undo the damage caused by that movie.  I can only image what trauma foster kids are going to go through after seeing the preview of another movie that misrepresented foster care by playing on a child's worst fears that ran before Mr. Peabody.  My child has been well prepared for adoption issues through out her life by you just can't prepare a child for the amazing stupidity and thoughtlessness of the typical Hollywood writer.

I can only imagine what distortions children with no actual knowledge about adoption have absorbed, but I bet within a month or two my other adoptive parent friends will have all sorts of interesting quotes from children who saw the movie will have said to their friends who are adopted.  It always works that way.

My oldest took my youngest, who was adopted, to see it. It's taken hours to undo the damage caused by that movie. I can only image what trauma foster kids are going to go through after seeing the preview of another movie that misrepresented foster care by playing on a child's worst fears that ran before Mr. Peabody. My child has been well prepared for adoption issues through out her life by you just can't prepare a child for the amazing stupidity and thoughtlessness of the typical Hollywood writer.

I can only imagine what distortions children with no actual knowledge about adoption have absorbed, but I bet within a month or two my other adoptive parent friends will have all sorts of interesting quotes from children who saw the movie will have said to their friends who are adopted. It always works that way.

What was the preview for??

We saw it and loved it. I posted my short review on another board and warned parents about the custody issues and mean social worker. I knew that would be triggers for some kids. That side of the story was definitely irresponsible on the part of the film makers. I wish I had reviewed it here to avoid some of the heartache.

I used to love Mr. Peaabody and his boy Sherman on Bullwinkle.  My kids want to see it (especially as they say Happy Meal toys at the neighbors)…but we might wait for DVD.  

DS1 is a history buff so I know he'll love it/get it.  Not so sure about his youngest sister. 

To HomeschoolMominAZ, I don't know what film that refers to, but I'd actually call the movie theater and let them know.  That sounds horrible.  Big hugs to your kids.  

My oldest took my youngest, who was adopted, to see it. It's taken hours to undo the damage caused by that movie. I can only image what trauma foster kids are going to go through after seeing the preview of another movie that misrepresented foster care by playing on a child's worst fears that ran before Mr. Peabody. My child has been well prepared for adoption issues through out her life by you just can't prepare a child for the amazing stupidity and thoughtlessness of the typical Hollywood writer.

I can only imagine what distortions children with no actual knowledge about adoption have absorbed, but I bet within a month or two my other adoptive parent friends will have all sorts of interesting quotes from children who saw the movie will have said to their friends who are adopted. It always works that way.

Damage from the movie, or the preview, or both? What was the preview of?

We saw it Saturday and the kids loved it. I wanted to punch Penny in the face repeatedly. She's a horrible brat who never takes responsibility for her own stupid actions and just cries when she gets in trouble. What a brat. Dh laughed at me but I really detested that stupid character.

My adult son with autism made me take him - it was not as bad as I feared.  I agree Penny was a brat - but what ticked me off was all the fuss the characters made over Sherman being the first boy to fly DaVinci's plane.  Hello - PENNY flew it first, then made him take the controls. 

The dog was allowed to adopt the boy, Sherman, who he had found abandoned in a box in an alley (yes, an abandoned baby is adopted by a dog - "If a boy can adopt a dog, a dog can adopt a boy.")   Sherman is later taunted at school by Penny for having a dog for a dad.   Later, a social worker who is clearly portrayed as a nasty fat woman wants to remove Sherman from his loving adoptive dogdad.

Having grown up on the Original Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman I am hesitant to see the movie.  I usually do not enjoy what they do to my beloved characters.  This thread has been an interesting read with the adoption issues mentioned.

My adult son with autism made me take him - it was not as bad as I feared.  I agree Penny was a brat - but what ticked me off was all the fuss the characters made over Sherman being the first boy to fly DaVinci's plane.  Hello - PENNY flew it first, than made him take the controls. 

Yes! I was thinking the same thing!

and it really bugged me that Penny got away with being so horrible to Sherman.

We saw it Friday with our family and a neighbor boy.  We loved it.  In fact the neighbor boy we brought along had seen it once but loved it so much he wanted to come with us to see it again.  I feel bad, at first I thought the "preview" some mentioned would have been Annie.  I didn't pick up on the sensitivity in the movie for adopted children but as I've read some of the posts I can understand it now.  The neighbor boy we brought with was adopted from China when he was 8 (he's now 10).  He had already seen the movie with his parents and his also adopted from China sister.  His family loved it.   So I guess I'd say use your discretion and you know your kids best!

My oldest didn't mention the name of the preview.

This is the text my 18 year old sent me,

"The lady from CPS told the adoptive dog (dad) that the court could take away his right to adopt his son after the fact and she [my 8 year old] very loudly yelled, "NO! That couldn't do that to me could they?"....

She went on to explain that that my youngest seemed to understand that it doesn't work that way, but needed reassurances that she understood correctly.  Since we have lots of friends with foster kids and fosteradopted kids, my oldest went on to explain that CPS workers don't want to break up families, they take kids out of families for their protection when there's evidence the children are being abused or neglected by the parents.  Then she explained that children in those situations are often placed with relatives or a nice family, like the foster families we know, until the doctors, social workers, police and courts figure out if there was abuse or not while the kids visit with their parents under supervision.  It's very irresponsible to portray CPS workers as villains when what they do saves lives.  Many children unfamiliar with fostercare can have a very distorted idea about it if this is their only experience with the idea. 

She wanted to know why someone would put their baby in a box. My oldest reassured her that she was not a foundling, that she was born in a hospital and then she stayed in a baby house for about a week and then placed with her foster mom.  She already knew this, but it was important to repeat it.  Then she wanted to know if her birthmom was OK because most of the people we know have babies at home with a midwife if the pregnancy and delivery are normal and they go to the hospital for complications.  My oldest had to text me from the parking lot of the theater to ask.  I told her all the medical records show the pregnancy and delivery were normal and her birthmom was OK.  Then I had her explain people in S. Korea don't have their babies at home.

Then my youngest wanted to know what would happen if someone tried to take her away. We explained that when a child is abducted (a rare thing) the local police, FBI agents (like our neighbor) and sheriff's offices get involved looking for the child.  We told her about a dearly loved family friend whose adopted children were abducted when they were little (we did not mention it was their birth father who had lost his rights because of previous custodial interference) and were involved in a police chase by car and police helicopters that rescued them and gave them back to their mom and dad and put the bad guy in prison for a looooong time.  We explained that Amber alerts make everyone on the road listening to the radio helpers for the police so they can call 911 if they see the vehicle the bad guy is driving with the child.  We also explained that in America, people who are in prison for harming children have to kept away from the other prisoners because they'll get killed by those other prisoners.  Even some types of bad guys have a moral code when it comes to harming children.

That seemed to do the job reassuring her that a tremendous, coordinated effort sparing no resources will be launched for abducted children where we live. 

Wow, Mom in AZ, sorry your sweet dd8 had those worries brought to mind! But it sounds like big sis (with your help) did a wonderful job reassuring and comforting her.

We are not an adoptive family, but I think it would be good to discuss a few things pre-viewing with my dd who wants to see the movie. Just something light about what social workers really do and how they're portrayed in the film is part of the fiction.

Honestly, I would never have anticipated this plot point! Thanks for the heads up.

We saw it and enjoyed it. Both of my children are adopted and neither were phased by it. I can understand how one might be though. The entire situation with the social worker could have been left out from how they portrayed her to why she was there. We did really like it though.

Thanks for the heads up regarding adoption. We won't be seeing it.

We have to be careful about some movie or book topics.My 8 yr old dd asked me to stop Despicable Me on DVR when the dad takes the girls back to the orphanage. :( I told her the movie ends well; he comes back for them and they become a family, but she didn't want to finish it.

We saw it.  Not a favorite but it was cute.

ITA on the foster/adoptive issues.  My Mom is a foster parent and one of her kids wanted to see it because of all the previews during the Olympics.  I let her know about all of those scenes and that it wasn't a good choice for the particular children she has in her home right now.