Menu

If...big if!...I go back to school, what should I go for?

DB in NJ

I would also say nursing as us baby boomers , tons of us, are only getting older and will be needing medical care. 

p.s my dd and her 2nd best friend (a single mom) are both going into nursing

we have 3 extended family members that are nurses (one is a nurse practioner) and they said that the flexible hours are great, especially when their dc were younger.

I assume you don't want to do a RN?

radiology tech, (I know one woman who does this in a major trauma center. she's x-rayed limbs before their owner arrived.  she likes being able to send uncooperative and vomiting patients back to the RN to clean up.)

sonography tech

surgical tech

Nursing is truly a rewarding career, SO many different specialty areas you could choose from. But as a heads up, generally programs are intense and competitive. Where I live, bachelor's degrees are preferred, and most of the hospitals are now requiring that as entry level (including their existing RN's!). All of the programs here require you to have CNA certification first, so you could try that to see if nursing is the way you want to go. If you feel a passion towards it, go for it!! If a BSN is your goal, you could take all of your prereq's while you are still homeschooling and get those out of the way. I had no trouble transferring my prereq's toward my BSN, but you may want check into that. Once you start an actual nursing program though, prepare to devote a majority of your time to it. 

Other ideas: surgery tech (as a previous poster suggested) is a good job, may involve on call time, anesthesia tech, PA, medical assistant, dietician, xray tech (I think programs are intensive, similar to nursing, but those are generally great jobs too), respiratory therapist, dental hygienist (they make a lot of money where I live!)

I would contact as many people as you can that might have the above jobs and just ask lots of questions. With the Affordable Care Act, the medical field is really going to be changing, and many more people will be insured than ever before and seeking healthcare (especially preventative). 

I was considering graphic arts/design until my research showed that it is very competitive, very demanding, and took a dive with the economy. Accounting is another good option and pays more than graphic design. DD-inlaw is a new nurse with a 2 year degree and she is making very good money for a beginner!! She's in ICU, works weekends graveyard shift.

How are you at STEM (science technology engineering mathematics)? I always did fine at math in school, and my homeschool journey taught me that I actually like math more than I did when I was younger. I am now in school in computer science with the goal to become a software engineer. It's a skill in very high demand that pays very well, and has lots of flexible work-at-home options, and is a lot of fun. You can combine other talents or skills with computer science and be a lot more marketable (it's difficult to get a job as an artist, for example, but if you can bring art talent to ability in computer graphics you are super marketable). And you can be involved in creating new technology that has the potential to change the way the world works. It's not a field that women going back into the work force typically think of, but it has a lot going for it.

If you aren't afraid of math and want something in the health care field, look into radiation therapists (the nurses who help cancer patients go through radiation therapy, not the people who do x-rays). I understand they get paid more than nurses because of the three-dimensional physics they need to understand to do their job. It's a field in high demand and has reasonable hours.

I am thinking about going to school while I finish my homeschool career (3 years to go).

Maybe something in the medical field at the local cc? Any ideas?

Yeah, reconsider a health degree, and get an asociate's degree in computer science, communications, something of that nature. While doing so, pick up certifications in one or more of the following:CISCO, Juniper, Oracle, CCNA/CCNP, etc.

Then, go work as a cell tech, NOC tech, switch tech, systems tech--something of that nature for a telecom like ATT or Sprint. You'll make as much as most nurses, more than many, you'll have set hours, won't be exposed to super pathogens, won't be in a field dealing with litigation and health insurance reform upheavals, and in an industry that is growing. Also, this field is still male dominated, so it means HRs are looking for qualified women to hire, increasing your opportunity.

In this field, it is common to start around 45k, and quickly move up and increase salary. After 4 or 5 years, it is not at all unusual for many techs to be making in the range of 80 to 100k a year. YMMV.

For myself, I'd go with something computer related, but then I like computers.  If I was going to go into nursing, I'd go with a minimum of an LPN degree.  I did a lot of CNA-type work in college (though I'm not a CNA, they were just desperate) and it's really, really hard.  Physically demanding, and often pretty yucky.  I wouldn't be able to do that for more than a few years before I'd get burned out.

Nursing!

In my area, you can go to school for a year or 10 months and get your LPN. Then go to the CC for your 2 year RN. Depending on where you work, your employer might help with tuition and books. You could then go back to school and get your BSN, if you wanted, too.

A huge blessing with nursing is the flexible hours. Straight Monday thru Friday 8 to 5 if you wanted to work in a doctors office, 2nd or 3rd shift in a hospital or 3 - 12 hour shifts, weekends while hubby is off, really, it's just so flexible as a home school parent.

Thank you all! You've given me much to consider.

Many moons ago, I started nursing school.  I was on a waiting list, so I took as many CLEPs as I could and then took the remainder of all pre req's. All that was left was the actual nursing courses themselves (I missed the cut off by 4 spots that summer. Grrr....it was either wait another year until the next start and do absolutely NOTHING while I waited since I had already taken everything I possibly could take OR go get a job and move out of my MIL's house.  I became a paralegal, and we moved).

I am so not computer'ish ;) I'm going to go check out our cc's website for some options.  Thanks again!!