Menu

planning vacation - need destination ideas!

snickerplum

As an anniversary gift from my husband I get to pick a vacation (no children!!)! I don't know where to go - what a problem to have, I know. :-)

I don't really want to do the beach thing. My husband doesn't enjoy theme parks. We've been to Maine, Williamsburg, and Charleston already. Overseas is an option. I took an online quiz that told me we're "historical travelers".

So, where should we go?

On my list of "Things I Want To Do Someday":

Cruise thru the Panama Canal

England and Scotland - I went once years ago with a tour group, but want ot go back some day when I am on my own time table and poke thru everything slowly

Arizona Historical sites - rent a car in Phoenix and spend time driving to all the hundreds of ruins and old towns and mines and stuff.

Get on the Adventures by Disney website for ideas. Their vacations are totally over the top. Much of what they do cannot be duplicated because the events are put on just for them, i.e. A scavenger hunt in Philadelphia to find the constitution. But, even if you do not do their trip, you can get some great ideas.

I wish I could go on the Costa Rica trip next.

Do you like a busy, scheduled, city type vacation or more laid back, rural, nature vacation?

We are heading out west and found some cabins in Idaho just outside of Yellowstone that have a private hot tub, beautiful views, chances to go horseback riding, fishing, canoeing, etc.  There are tons of nature tours you can take as well and there are lots of historical sites out west.  I would much rather do that then to be in a city with tons of people all around.

Do you want ONE destination---like fly/drive in and stay there the whole time or do you want to move from place to place every 1-2 days.

my favourite would be here:

http://www.waterfallgardens.com/about_peace_lodge.ph

(recently voted one of the top honeymoon spots outside the usa)

or here:

http://www.monkeymia.com.au/pages/1501/monkey-mia-research

or here:

http://www.fairmont.com/banff-springs/

they are my top three favourite places of all time.  there is something about the combination of nature, good food and luxury....

we actually camped at monkey mia, but stayed in the hotel at the peace lodge.

we have visited the banff springs hotel, but haven't stayed their.  our son in law took our dd there for an anniversary though :)

historically minded, rome, venice, paris, london, etc.... 

oh what a wonderful problem to have ;)

ann