Menu

How do YOU calculate math grades?

Do you do a weighted grade where daily lessons get a percentage of the grade?  if so, how much do you count the homework?

Or do you just count the tests?

I'm mainly asking because I'm curious.  I remember when I was in high school, some small percentage of our math grade was turning in our homework, though I can't remember what percentage. 

Tests only here. And units or lessons have to be re-done if the score is lower than a 75. Because you actually have to understand what you are doing.

Most kids I know have only tests to determine grades, but homework can be used as extra credit.  Of course, the test are curved. One memorable example was the highest score in the class was a 66 (yes, out of 100) and it was curved off that. The class just moved on.

There are two big reasons, imo, to include daily work in the grade.

1) To manipulate students who otherwise wouldn't do it into doing it. Many students will not do homework if it is not worth points, and then fail the exams. Making it worth part of the grade pushes them to do it.

2) When the problems are legitimately too difficult to be done in an exam situation, but you still want to assess the student on how well they've done on these very difficult problems. This would rarely apply in high school math classes.

Both of these (but especially the first) are much more relevant to someone who is teaching a class than to someone who is teaching one student.

When I taught, I gave completion marks for homework and then counted all homework as one test score at the end of the semester.  So if they completed 50 out of 50 homework assignments they would get an 80% test score averaged with their actual tests.   

As a homeschool mom I don't even do tests until Alg 2 or precalc depending on the child.  We just work to mastery always.  But I work pretty close with them and I know what they know and what they don't.  So I m always assessing, I just don't test.  If I wasn't actively teaching them then tests would be my only way of assessing them.  

I completely agree with the previous poster's two reasons about why to give credit for homework.  In addition a weaker student gets credit for hard work that way.  I also agree that this is largely a classroom issue.  

BTW, in addendum to what I said above, here's how I would *like* to assign grades, if I had only self-motivated and mature students, and also students who could be trusted not to cheat on coursework.

In computationally based classes such as high school algebra, trigonometry, calculus, etc. -- One final exam assessing all work for the semester. Samples would be available to students so they could see what types of questions to expect.

In theoretic/proof-based classes, one final problem set (essentially, a take-home final) with a week (or two) to work on it, assessing important proofs through the class.

In both cases, homework would be assigned regularly and solutions posted after a week, but it simply would not be collected and graded. I would of course be available to the students for consultation throughout the class, but it would be their responsibility to come and see me to ask whether their answer (which differed from the key) was still valid, or how close to correct their answer was.

Forewarning:  I have been told multiple times on this forum that I am too easy of a grader.

But, here's what I do:

There are three levels of math practice: Learning curve, Practice, Mastery.  Mistakes are expected during learning curve, and are not counted against the final grade.

Learning curve (first problems on a given topic): 33% of grade; 100% for finishing by due date, penalties for not doing it on time, with bad attitude, etc.

Practice: 33% of grade; whatever % she earns

Mastery (tests): 34% of grade (so it adds to 100%); whatever % she earns

Opportunities to earn grades:  I'd say about 40% of assignments are learning curve, 40% are practice, and 20% are tests, but it some chapters are longer/shorter so it's not perfectly the same each topic.

--Janet

70% tests and 30% homework completion.  This is what is done in math classes locally, both in the public schools as well as my son's private school.  Since my kids generally get scores of 90+% on tests (because we work to mastery), the homework piece only improves their grades by about 2%.  So, for example, if the test average was 94% and I gave 100% for homework, the grade would go up to 96%. 

ETA:  The final exam grade is usually 15% of the grade (as it is in the local schools).  So the actual breakdown would be 55% chapter tests, 15% final exam, and 30% homework.

We aren't doing grades for anything right now, my kids are still in middle school and this is our first year homeschooling.  Once my daughter starts high school next year, grades will be given.  For math, we both feel that it is important for our kids to be able to make mistakes without penalty.  Right now they learn the lesson and practice with my husband, then they have the problems assigned with the lesson to complete on their own. These are corrected so that everyone knows what was understood or not understood and to note if further instruction is needed.  End of unit tests are given every couple of weeks, which I think is more than sufficient in terms of the number of grades the student will get each semester.  

I see giving grades for completing homework as an incentive to do homework in public school and as a way to pad poor test grades in homeschool. 

If the kid is getting As on the tests, it hardly makes any difference at all.  Here's a breakdown assuming a 30% weighting for homework:

Tests only-->Grade with homework included

95%-->96.5% 

90%-->93%

85%-->89.5%

80%-->86%

75%-->82.5%

70%-->79%

So, yes, it starts to "pad" the grade a bit as the test grades get lower.  But it won't give a kid who is getting Cs on exams an A.

Homework should be given a small weight such as 15-20% with points for each HW assignment for Math.

2 points solid attempt on all assigned problems

1 point  reasonable attempt at the HW

0 points  -  late or poor attempt like not showing work/ thought process

HW score would be cumulative   points-earned / total-points

Chapter tests  50%

Final  30-35%

We grade chapter tests only. I do it this way for several reasons. 1. ds is totally unmotivated by grades 2. I do a lot of custom courses with more detailed grading, I want at least one class that is easy to grade. 3. All daily work is checked and corrected, he might miss one concept completely, but once it clicks he's okay. So do I penalize because he didn't understand, give 1/2 credit for corrections - refer back to 1 & 2 - it would be pointless.

Tests only.

Back when we were new to hsing, I tried to model my grading based on what I knew, which was ps stuff. I worked it out a few ways and found that adding homework as a percentage of the grade didn't do much to the final tally, so I just went to tests only. The kids have been in charge of doing their assignments and checking their own work since grades 4 and 6. They knew not to 'cheat' and just use the answers because it would be obvious on test day.

As the math classes got tougher, I was known to stick a particularly difficult problem on the test as extra credit, but it was the type of problem that was an honest-to-goodness stretch, not like 'extra credit for spelling your name correctly". Yes, I have honestly seen that on a test!!!

I also found I had to 'tweak' other classes for grades... the local high school breaks down 10% for "keeping a neat notebook" (yes---high school), and kids get an extra % for bringing a canned good for a food pantry on test day. :confused1:   

I give one comprehensive final at the end of the semester. That's the grade.

I expect daily work to be completed and worked until correct. I do not penalize a learner for mistakes made during this learning process.

We are similar here. Since our college was big on midterms, we give a midterm and a final.

My kid is very special when it comes to math, so this is not likely to help you. But I thought you might find it interesting that I will give no grades in high school math, ever. When he takes the national exam (A levels), he will get his first and only grade in math.

Ruth in NZ

When I taught, I gave completion marks for homework and then counted all homework as one test score at the end of the semester. So if they completed 50 out of 50 homework assignments they would get an 80% test score averaged with their actual tests.

Is this a typo? Or am I missing something.

Why would you get an 80% if you did all your homework? This would lower anyone's grade whose test average was higher than 80.