Menu

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge....Must do and places to eat???

Holly IN

Hello folks!!

We are going to Pigeon Forge end of May to the condo we are staying in.  We will be going back and forth between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.  We are planning on going to Dollywood several times.  We are planning on getting passes to Dollywood as it is cheaper to get passes than to get a day ticket. 

We love putt putt, mom/pop shops and restaurants, nature hikes (we have been warned by others not do to this there lol!!), museums if the price is right....

So what are the MUST see/do and places to eat that knock your socks off!!  :)  We will be eating breakfast at the condos and eat out more for lunch and dinner. 

Thanks guys!!  BTW we are traveling from Indiana...if that helps

Holly IN

You were warned by others not to do nature hikes there? We camped in Smoky Mountain National Park for 5 days and did all sorts of nature stuff. It's gorgeous. I definitely recommend getting into the park at least for a little bit! If you have kids under about age 13, I recommend looking into their junior ranger program (or at any national park). That gives the kids something to focus on while you visit the park and stuff to find.

There are many cute touristy shops and restaurants in that area. We enjoyed the Old Mill. We did not hit Dollywood, so no thoughts on that.

http://www.old-mill.com/

ETA - we traveled from the upper midwest and stopped and went to Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky on the way in. You can also do jr. rangers there. That was a worthwhile stop!

http://www.nps.gov/maca/index.htm

Well, we camped for 5 days in Smoky Mountain National Park along a stream and never saw a bear. We saw plenty of turkeys and deer though. :) We did a number of hikes on popular trails too. I'm not particular scared of black bears though. There are some trail strategies if you were to see one. Where the most people are in the park though, you're not likely to see one.

I have seen bears in Northern Minnesota though!

Best Italian in Gatlinburg is amazing.  Great italian food.  Their garlic rolls will make you swoon.  For years, I would drive out of the way on our cross country trek to eat there.  It's a place the locals go, and it's delicious.  Try it.  :)

(Now I'm drooling, and Best Italian is not in my future, as I'm now gluten free.  Sad loss!)

No nature hikes, what?? The Appalachian trail runs through GSMNP!! Why wouldn't you take advantage of that? Honestly we go and hike the whole time... of course I intend to hike the entire AT so I'm a bit different ;)  

The pancake pantry in Gatlinburg is the best breakfast spot, arrive real early- it fills up fast!  We also loves Mama's farmhouse, you can get the menu online. We are a family of 6 so this was a great deal for us. We took a lot of food because they have a grocery store so I'd pick up things I didn't bring from home. I'd do a crock pot every evening and we'd pack lunch for the day to have a picnic. We took some blankets and picniced in Cades Cove (just pulled off and walked out into the field). That was a great spot. If it's warm enough picnic near one of the many streams and let the kids play (I'd drive into the mtns.)    The best putt putt place is in Gatlinburg and is called Hillbilly Golf, way better than the Ripley's courses and is independently owned. Highlight of our trip the first time.  The aquarium was blah and not worth the amount they charge. I avoid anything Ripley's in that area honestly.

I also hate the Pigeon Forge area, it is way too tousitry, Gatlinburg is too honestly. Next trip we are staying on the North Caroline side by Fontana Damn or will drive up to Hot Springs NC...  I hate the tourist trap crap with mountains at the base. It's like a crazy carnival and they've ruined natures best :(

We love PF/Gatlinburg.  Yes, it's very touristy but it's a fun vacation spot with a lot to do if you like that sort of stuff.

There are NO SHORTAGE of fun-park type places in Pigeon Forge.  Seriously:  Putt-putt and go-karts on every corner.

We love the "science museum" (Wonderworks).  Very fun, slightly pricey.

We also do Dixie Stampede (very pricey but an awesomely fun, very cheesy, experience.)

We quite like the Aquarium; usually if you do the Stampede AND the Aquarium, you can get a discount for one of them.

Check out the Apple Barn (gift shop, restaurant, etc).  Very neat, they probably have a website you can check out.

When we're in Gatlinburg, we always eat at Hard Rock Cafe.  Don't know why, we just do. :D

My kids LOVE walking around the Christmas Place in PF.  It's free -- just a gigantic Christmas store, lots of fun stuff for kids to look at.  Moving trains, miniatures scenes, etc.  My kids beg to go each visit.

If you have $$ to blow and time to wait, do one of those photographs where you dress up in "wild west" attire and pose in front of a vintage backdrop/scene.  Fun souvenir.  

We hiked Laurel Falls our 2nd PF/Gat vacation (we've been 3 times).  It was early spring and perfect weather... but we had a 3 yr old which meant I had to do a lot of toting (it was a little long, having small kids, but otherwise an easy "hike.")

The Old Mill area is great to park and just walk around.  The Pottery House Cafe is great.  If you have little kids, you can buy bags of corn and feed the ducks on the "river."  That was the ONLY thing my kids remembered from our first visit, when they were little.  Feeding the ducks, LOL.

Ditto the Old Mill!  And there are several little shops around the restaurant.  My favorite is the pottery shop!  I got a couple beautiful pieces when we were there.  

We also drove through Cade's Cove.  Make sure you have plenty of time and some snacks.  When we were about 1/2 way through it was getting close to dinner time and traffic came to a complete stop (it's only one, one-way lane) due to a Mama and baby bear that *EVERYONE* had stopped to watch.  There are also some really neat old cemeteries along the route.  

And the Apple Barn Winery!  Their Apple Pomegranate wine is amazing!

All of the Ripley's attractions have a homeschool discount. I showed the attendant a registration letter from our umbrella school, but you can also show an attendance record or homeschool group membership.

I hear the Titanic exhibit is good, I think you get assigned the name of a real passenger on the ship and at the end you find out if you survived the sinking or not.

We liked the Aquarium there, and I think homeschoolers get a teacher's discount. I would call ahead and ask about that, you may need to show a homeschooler or teacher ID card. I wasn't yet homeschooling when we went.

Loved the Old Mill restuarant as well. We try to hit the restaurants at off times for meals because they get so crowded it isn't as enjoyable.

Dollywood charges quite a bit for parking, but there is a shuttle route to be picked up and taken there from a place where parking is free or lower cost.

There are some quaint pottery and tea house places off the touristy roads.

I don't like the touristy aspects and insane traffic of the Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, so we try to go during weeks when traditional schools are in session if possible. It is beautiful there.

Definitely visit the aquarium, 2 of my girls (homeschooled all the way!) work as mermaids there. They start back sometime towards the end of May. Bears are no reason to stay off the trails. Just let the kids be kids and make noise! Dixie Stampede is tons of fun. Just walking around looking is fun. And, Dollywood is absolutely the best. Horseback riding is always a hit with mine. Rafting/tubing is available if it is warm enough. My kids always liked just pulling off on one of the quiet walkways, hiking down to the water, and skipping stones. 

Not hike????? What? Hello! Great Smoky Mountains? The national park is our very favorite part of a trip to Gatlinburg. You MUST spend time in the park. Beautiful!!! We've never seen a bear and we go often. No worries! Just read up on what to do, just in case. The visitor's centers and park attractions (including Cades Cove) are fabulous.

You've gotten lots of good advice.

Have a great trip!

my family has been going to the area over 20 years and the only reason we go is to hike.   We don't go for shows, restaurants and stuff.  We've been to some the attractions but the main attraction is the  Park.   We've seen black bear with cubs and Huge big Daddy black bear.   This is not a big deal for us the black bear is not like the Grizzly   they tend to just run away.   We've never been chased or scared.  When we encounter the momma bear we literally kept eye contact and backed away.   The thing about hiking in the south are those dang poisonous  snakes.

Hope you enjoy your trip totally blows me away folks go to Gatlinburg for the amusement parks  and stores :huh:  I thought those for when its raining. :laugh:

We were in Pigeon Forge for a day on our way home from a business trip in November. We decided we are going to go back for a week sometime this year with my sister and niece. We enjoyed Christmas Place (mentioned up-thread) as well and want to stay in the hotel across the street. Dh is a bit of a Christmas nut, lol. We stopped at the Lodge outlet and got a great deal on a large dutch oven that I had been wanting. We didn't have much time to do much, so I can't wait to go back! I'll have to show dh this thread when we are planning our trip.