Menu

A bit sad

DawnM

My boys are growing up.   My youngest is turning 10 next week, but he is such a different kid and hasn't done little kid things in years.

I realized this month that we haven't done any of the following in over 2 years:

Gone to ToysRUs or even been requested to

Visited to the Children's Museum

Played with Legos

Watched Cartoons

Played a kids' game

Been in the Boys' department for shoes or clothing (youngest wears hand me downs or orders online, but we used to go often)

Found toys in my purse

and I have ordered VERY FEW kids' meals, they all eat like grown ups now

And I haven't needed any of the following in over 5 years:

A car seat

A booster seat

A kids' menu

A stroller

A toy bag

Extra clothing "just in case"

Snacks to avoid crying

I wasn't one to relish the toddler years, but there is a twinge of sadness when I see little boys excited over lego stores and toys.

Now their toys are bigger and pricier, but take up less room in the house.  

Sigh.

Dawn

dh is 25 and he still goes to the nerf gun isle every trip! lol

trying to remind myself of posts like this while I change smelly kids and clean up spilled milk, again, while toddler throws a tantrum and baby breaks into the glitter which got left down within reach by daddy (everything is so... sparkly. sigh.)

I'm with you on this one!  Though mine seem to be taking their time on the "growing up" thing.  Last weekend, DS18 and DD12 convinced me to take them to see..... the Lego Movie.  Before that, they went and saw Frozen with DD20 while DH and I went and saw some "grownup" movie about Navy guys.  DD12 and her friends had a sleepover and watch VeggieTales movies all evening.

On the plus side - we are seriously considering a 3-week vacation this spring with trips to relatives and see the sights in DC.  Having older kids DOES make the trip planning easier and I don't miss car seats at all!

The thing is, I honestly LIKE teens.  I worked with teens for a living and chose them over younger kids, and I am usually fine, but it struck me yesterday while we were out and there seemed to be young kids everywhere, there I won't ever have that again until I have grandkids.

My youngest is only 8, but being so close in age to 4 older brothers, his choices of activities are much older than what the older boys' activities were at 8.  I need to redo the playroom and get it more suited for older kids (and probably stop calling it the playroom), but the thought of packing away/giving away so many toys makes me so sad.  I'm psyching myself up to do it this summer.

Shhhhhhh!!!!!  It won't happen if you don't allow it.  :)

My youngest is 8.  She's my only girl and still loves dolls.  So, we are still in an American Girl doll phase.  But, the olders are much more into their computers and all.  It's a depressing time.  I cling to my dd and LOVE that she still wants to fall asleep in my arms every night.  

Your sig. line says she is 6.....I think it is time to update!

Shhhhhhh!!!!!  It won't happen if you don't allow it.   :)

My youngest is 8.  She's my only girl and still loves dolls.  So, we are still in an American Girl doll phase.  But, the olders are much more into their computers and all.  It's a depressing time.  I cling to my dd and LOVE that she still wants to fall asleep in my arms every night.