Menu

Can anyone from DC tell me about the cherry blossoms?

GSOchristie

So, I am playing with the idea of taking my kids up to DC to do their spring photo shoot with the cherry blossoms...only I don't know if it is even feasible.  I looked online for when the Cherry Blossom Festival was happening so now I need to know:

1.  When are they generally in full bloom, at the beginning of the time, the middle?

2.  How long will full bloom (not patchy) last, a week, a day?

3.  Is there somewhere a huge concentration of them?

4.  Is it super crowded, will I have to wait for people to mosey out of the way for every shot?

I don't live in Washington D.C. but I'm watching this avidly. I know we planned our wedding for March 20th partly in hopes we'd find a way to manage a Washington D.C. honeymoon and get to see the cherry blossoms. It didn't happen -- but we still look forward to doing it for an anniversary one year

I definitely agree with Ethel Mertz (I love agreeing with someone called Ethel Mertz) about planning other things in DC, especially if you have to plan the trip in advance. But sometimes you get lucky. :)

I believe the average peak is at the very end of March, so I'd probably aim for that. And be ready for crowds. When we get to live in DC in the spring, we like to go just before the peak because it's still lovely but not quite as hectic.

What Ethel said.

The second picture sounds pretty accurate :-(

There is also a community in nearby Bethesda that is completely planted with Japanese cherries. The name of the street has slipped my mind, but perhaps someone here can recall it.

I think that if you are staying in DC and get up and out very early in the morning, you could get a good pix.

The National Arboretum has some nice cherries and excellent educational material online.

In Bethesda off river rd. I can't remember the name of the street either. Maybe goldsboro? I'm not at home and can look it up. The cherry blossom parade is usually scheduled for the beginning of may, so I always think of peak season being in april, depending on the weather, of course.

That would be the place. I haven't been there in years, but used to go when I was in the area. I thought the display was nicer than the Tidal Basin, because so many mature cherries were so close together, truly a sea of cherry blossoms.

ETA just googled. It's Kenwood.

That would be the place. I haven't been there in years, but used to go when I was in the area. I thought the display was nicer than the Tidal Basin, because so many mature cherries were so close together, truly a sea of cherry blossoms.

ETA just googled. It's Kenwood.

Yes, that's the neighborhood. I used to work close by there and the trees are stunning. Still crowded at peak time but not like the tidal basin.

You could also go to the National Arboretum.  It is not crowded, especially during the week.  They have beautiful cherry blossoms and the magnolias are in bloom at the same time.  You'll be much more likely to get the perfect picture there, I think.  The bonsai garden is amazing as well!

Do NOT plan your trip around the cherry blossoms! The pretty photos you posted were so close up that they could be ANY single cherry tree ANYWHERE. I love DC and live nearby, but the Cherry Blossom Festival IS crowded. Taking photos in the city would require patience any day. The other gazillion tourists will not cooperate with your photo shoot.

The cherry blossoms are beautiful!!!!

That said, I'd never take a trip there just to get pics of the trees. Insanity.

Instead, check out your local orchard. Apple, cherry, peach, take your pick, all are beautiful in spring, and the photos will come out much nicer if you aren't travel weary.

my brother and his family live in DC. They always say to visit any time BUT cherry blossom season. It is just horribly packed. I once visited a friend

when the season was ending, I had no thought to the cherry blossoms. I could not believe how crowded it was. Yuck. And men I didn't know kept taking my picture. It was creepy.

We live just a few miles from DC and go every year to see the blossoms. Dh's bday is April 2 and we usually hit whatever Monday is closest that they are out. Parking is fairly easy--we park at Gravelly Point and walk over the bridge (the one that's by the Jefferson Memorial, where the Tidal Basin is). It's a bit of a hike, and wind on the bridge means you need to rearrange your hair afterwards, but it's very doable. Monday is better than a weekend.

Even when the blossoms are past peak, it's beautiful--I think it's actually quite lovely with blossoms carpeting the ground.

I have mixed feelings about the blossoms.  We have had years where they're right on time and it's a MOB SCENE.  Sometimes I have to go down to the Mall for a class or something that week and it's the height of my tourist disgust.  Honestly, my favorite years are when they end up being completely off at a totally wrong time and then it's less crowded.  And while it's usually crowded everywhere, I have actually had some lovely experiences where it was mostly empty and I really got to appreciate them.  One year when my kids were little, someone in our homeschool group organized a cherry blossom party and we all met on Hains Point and painted cherry blossom pictures and make little tissue paper ones and ate cherry themed snacks and the adults had cherry wine!  And the blossoms were just past peak and it was just beautiful and...  empty.  And another year they were way early and I remember my boys as toddlers running around under them with my mother and I and it wasn't at all crowded.

Anyway, they're really pretty.  Seeing them - even mobbed with people - along the Basin and with the Monuments in the background is pretty lovely.  So gamble and come on and give it a shot.

If you come, read Eliza's Cherry Trees with your kids beforehand.

I guess the good news is we can try, and try several locations from the sound of it.  My uncle lives in DC, so we don't have to pay to stay, and worst case scenario we go to the monuments and zoo but don't get the pictures.  DH says I'm crazy and he'll only support from afar (in NC) with well wishes and prayers :).