Menu

Just pretend...

...that you have already homeschooled three kids and you're burned out. You have done rigorous science, 4-year cycle history, some Sonlight, some MOH, some Noeo and Apologia... and now you're starting again with a preschooler and a 2nd grader. You are ready to have FUN in these early years, to study interesting stuff, to go on memorable field trips and do (simple!) hands-on activities that they'll remember. What curriculum would you want to explore? 

If you haven't noticed, I am NOT concerned about something super structured or rigorous. I need to have some serious fun with these kids or I'm going to jump ship! 

Check out The Nature Connection by Clare Walker Leslie. It will either get you outside or support your outdoor wanderings throughout the year. It's just an easy peasy year of nature studies.

I just got this and we are doing nature walks with a friend of mine.

Check out The Nature Connection by Clare Walker Leslie. It will either get you outside or support your outdoor wanderings throughout the year. It's just an easy peasy year of nature studies.

Gasp! This looks WONDERFUL. Right up my alley. Thanks -- onto my wish list it goes. Okay, so what is a way to approach social studies/history that's like this (relaxed, natural, etc)? 

And, of course, you can just read books and do whatever fun projects inspire you.

Yes, but I'm afraid that would be too little structure for me and that the kids would just end up watching PBS all day while I voraciously read news on the internet. (Embarrassing to admit, but I know myself by the point if nothing else!) So, something in that spirit, but a bit more structure. Does anyone remember Living Learning Science? That was the perfect amount of structure for me. 

What if you make a time once a week that you have to fill with (non TV related) science?  You wouldn't have to always plan ahead - sometimes it would be, okay, let's pull out the science craft book and figure out what to do, or go to the woods and draw in our nature journals.  But you'd have that set time.

I have had a hard year dealing with medical issues in my family. I did jump ship on some of the programs you mentioned. I switched to KONOS , and I am enjoying this year. I went from having a sinking feeling and just get it dine to check a box, to let's learn something and have fun while doing it. It has been wonderful.

What if you make a time once a week that you have to fill with (non TV related) science?  You wouldn't have to always plan ahead - sometimes it would be, okay, let's pull out the science craft book and figure out what to do, or go to the woods and draw in our nature journals.  But you'd have that set time.

Yes. This is how I work. This is why "Tuesday Teatime" works. I need nonnegotiable slots, and Science Friday (haha, thanks NPR) is a great idea. 

I switched to KONOS , and I am enjoying this year. I went from having a sinking feeling and just get it dine to check a box, to let's learn something and have fun while doing it. It has been wonderful.

I'll check it out right now... any specific units or volume you recommend? 

ETA: Volumes, bag or box??

Preschool and second grade? Drop science and history and make an effort to get some fun history books or science kits. I don't bother with these subjects formally until middle school. You can have a lot of fun with magic school bus and pretending to be knights and princesses at this age. Think about picking history up for the beginning of the second cycle. Look for fun sciency books at the library with experiments and stuff in them, get a lego simple machines set, or a snap circuit board. 

What interests you and the kids? Find time to dive into those interests. If you are not too worried about rigor and structure at this age, I think unit studies are a fabulous way to make the content subjects fun, and they are fairly easy to prep for this age group even without buying one prewritten

Preschool and second grade? Drop science and history and make an effort to get some fun history books or science kits. I don't bother with these subjects formally until middle school. You can have a lot of fun with magic school bus and pretending to be knights and princesses at this age. Think about picking history up for the beginning of the second cycle. Look for fun sciency books at the library with experiments and stuff in them, get a lego simple machines set, or a snap circuit board. 

What interests you and the kids? Find time to dive into those interests. If you are not too worried about rigor and structure at this age, I think unit studies are a fabulous way to make the content subjects fun, and they are fairly easy to prep for this age group even without buying one prewritten

I'm just nervous I won't find the time to plan and then I'll be wondering what in the world to do... I guess I've been pretty curriculum-dependent. But I totally agree that doing those things formally can wait until later. Do you (or anyone) have any suggestions for how to add structure/accountability to a more free-flowing, unit study type approach? It totally appeals, I'm just afraid I'll blow it off when life get busy, hectic, etc.

Five in a Row.

Math manipulatives like tangrams, links, geoboards.

Add more books as wanted.

Magic School Bus dvds. Crafts. Butterfly kit, praying mantis kit, ant kit, ladybug kit.

Shining Dawn nature studies.

This is actually what I have done and still do with my younger kids.

Song School Spanish

Song School Math

FLL

Off-roading and ditching curricula for science, history, geography.

Early math with Fred and other story-based math approaches, and lots of games and manipulatives.

OPGTR or Hooked on Phonics for reading, depending on the child.

Lots of read alouds, nature study, field trips, etc.

I am loving Konos Volume 1. I just bought an original volume, but I have heard it recommended you start with the box. You do have to plan, but there are ao many activities suggested it is easy to pick the ones that you feel you can get done. My kids have really enjoyed it and learned a lot even with the low maintenance ideas I have picked.

I did this very thing after pounding it hard with the oldest two. My salvation: Five in a Row!

FIAR people... did you really read the book every day for five days? I can't imagine doing that (for a kid in 2nd grade... a preK would be game). Other than that, I have always thought it looked like a neat program.