Menu

Thriving homeschool? Check in here!

ONE thing?  I don't know if I can pick just one thing.  But yes, I guess that I have to agree that the best thing is that homeschooling gives my dd space, and it lets her go at her own pace.  Academically, sure, and it lets her follow her interests to a large degree, but really I guess I think that giving her the space to just be herself, and to grow all the different parts of herself at her own pace, without the pressure to conform to some outside standard, whether it's grade-based or peer-based or whatever.  This has been a tremendous year of growth for her - literally, she's grown more than 7 inches - and also emotional growth and maturing, and I think homeschooling has let that happen in a relatively stress-free and pressure-free environment.

Also - ok, this is two things - but it's helped us stay close.  It's helped us maintain our relationship and connection at a time when I see a lot of her friends growing away from their moms/families.  I'm so grateful for that.  We're very in tune and connected, and she knows that I'm on her side.  I'm treasuring that more and more these days.

I think things are going pretty well with my 12 year old...

1. He and I have learned how to communicate and taken Myers Briggs tests which helped a lot.

2. Calvert- the predictable yet challenge material and ATS test makes us more of a team to win it together, rather than me being so much the enemy responsible for his course load. The objective grading is a huge huge help. It is very hard to be objective without grading.

3. Good sleep, high protein breakfast, plenty of snacks, just making school nice by sitting with him now and then and also enjoying some things together when he is doing a subject I enjoy such as history or art. No 100% I dependent and depressed homeschool kids here. My kids need people.

4. A good relationship with his father. I know this is not possible to create but it is a huge factor without which I know things would be harder for me.

First year back to homeschooling for us (last time she HS'd, she was 8) and the ONE thing that has mattered most is the absence of the crappy mean girl attitudes and pressure.  She is relaxed enough to excel and allow her true personality show through.  She wants to work very hard now and is motivated again.  It's a beautiful thing. 

The other thing that is working is having structure.  She is not good when it's too relaxed and actually asked for 'school at home'.  So..reluctantly I set up a desk, a school space, etc.   She wants a spreadsheet w/ grades and all that, and for now, she LOVES it and works to fill in the grade spaces, at her desk (when she chooses, she can go elsewhere, of course), during structure 'school time', etc.  Maybe I should say the best thing working for us, is listening to her.  By giving her these things she has asked for, I can see she knows she'll thrive this way.  This year has been amazing, so I guess she was right about herself lol

First year back to homeschooling for us (last time she HS'd, she was 8) and the ONE thing that has mattered most is the absence of the crappy mean girl attitudes and pressure. She is relaxed enough to excel and allow her true personality show through. She wants to work very hard now and is motivated again. It's a beautiful thing.

The other thing that is working is having structure. She is not good when it's too relaxed and actually asked for 'school at home'. So..reluctantly I set up a desk, a school space, etc. She wants a spreadsheet w/ grades and all that, and for now, she LOVES it and works to fill in the grade spaces, at her desk (when she chooses, she can go elsewhere, of course), during structure 'school time', etc. Maybe I should say the best thing working for us, is listening to her. By giving her these things she has asked for, I can see she knows she'll thrive this way. This year has been amazing, so I guess she was right about herself lol

That's wonderful!

Stress free academically and socially.  She has changed physically so much in the past 1.5 years that it's just ridiculous, and I think being home has made that transition from little girl to young lady so much easier.  Also, she went from project overload at ps to projects of her choosing at home.  That has helped a lot.  Now, she reads a ton, and she narrates.  If she wants to do a project she can, but I do not require them.  That was a huge transition for her, but it seems to have been for the better as she hasn't had breakdowns over homework like she did while in 5th grade ps.

One thing that I think have helped us is that we are constantly evaluating what we are doing. So every so often, I will check our schedules, make sure we are not over stretched by what I had planned and then proceed from there. I make sure we have enough field trips, outside activities etc to balance out academics.

We have had to drop some semester long classes and have also done some short classes that I did not plan out when we started in the summer. It has worked well, that I am constantly evaluating and asking my dd's opinions on what I am planning so her input is also considered. We are having a great year so far despite the feb/ march dreariness.

I ask him openly what he wants to do, and I clearly explain the constraints we are under for things we have to do (portfolio, simple testing of material, some kind of forward progress, getting dressed by the time his father gets home from work). It means that I can try to understand him as well as possible and he can understand me.

It seems to provide a realistic life picture as well. Even in his perfect job, there are going to be some things you have to do. I have them as a mom, he has them as a kid, but let's try to make the rest of our time as ideal as we can get. It makes dreams feel possible.

I wanted to put some thought into this. It's hard to come up with one thing. If it needs to be one then I think it is Trust.

Me trusting kiddo's feelings about what to learn and why. Kiddo trusting that I will remain flexible and closely tuned to his needs. Me trusting my gut. Me trusting that DH has more wisdom in certain matters than I do and vice versa. Kiddo trusting himself that he can do it however hard it seems as long as he wants to do his best.

We've come a long way from our miserable, clueless first year and a half.

I started getting up early in the morning with my distractable DS (11). This has completely revamped our entire homeschool dynamic! We do our together work from 6:30am - 7:30am, I review what is on the agenda for the day (as well as put it on the whiteborad for him) then he continues working all morning until he is done, usually finishing up by 11am. We do Science and History in the afternoon. 

He knows that I work with his little brother from 9am - 11am and if he needs me for something else, it needs to be before or after that. 

Before implementing this he would get up start playing and then want to continue playing after breakfast, it was a nightmare to get him focused on school work, and every time there was a lull or I was helping one of his siblings, he would run back to the bedroom and start playing again. It started to get pretty ugly...like I was contemplating sending him back to public school. 

This has also freed up our afternoon's for anything we might want to do as a family, we do lunch and science/history and then we are off!

I started getting up early in the morning with my distractable DS (11). This has completely revamped our entire homeschool dynamic! We do our together work from 6:30am - 7:30am, I review what is on the agenda for the day (as well as put it on the whiteborad for him) then he continues working all morning until he is done, usually finishing up by 11am. We do Science and History in the afternoon.

He knows that I work with his little brother from 9am - 11am and if he needs me for something else, it needs to be before or after that.

Before implementing this he would get up start playing and then want to continue playing after breakfast, it was a nightmare to get him focused on school work, and every time there was a lull or I was helping one of his siblings, he would run back to the bedroom and start playing again. It started to get pretty ugly...like I was contemplating sending him back to public school.

This has also freed up our afternoon's for anything we might want to do as a family, we do lunch and science/history and then we are off!

Wow, that is a great plan. My son & I are both up early, why wouldn't I take advantage of this alone time for "together" work. I'm literally hitting myself in the head, why didn't I think of this earlier? Thanks this is a great thread!

We have fun.

We have long intense days, but they are full of good books, interesting conversation, fascinating people, and laughter (which helps soothe the occasional tears).

We also often have a storyline going--school is never just school.

Fun has changed over the years, but it is still there. It's fortunate that resources like AoPS, MCT, and The Economist exist.  It's also good that our local science community is a funny bunch.

I'm going to cheat and post two things.

1) I've stopped researching curricula so much. I've always been happy with what i use, but there was always a niggle that maybe this was better or this plan was more put together or this is free or blah blah. 

I'm not buying anything, literally NOT a single thing, for next year. I have finally realized that I have all I need and then some available to me to educate my children well. Finally settling down and being content with what I had and realizing that ...yes that thing may take planning, that thing may not be easy to implement, or that thing may not be totally 'perfect" and just doing IT every day/week really has lightened my mood. I finally realized that reading about different methods, books, blogs, and so on and so on was stressing me out. 

2) Planning my oldest ds's history around his interests rather than the rotation. I love the rotation but this is the first year...ever...that he has shown a real enthusiasm for history studies. The child is enamored with all things civics/government/physical geography...go figure. 

I'm down to one child.  Seriously, that has been the best thing for my youngest.  

Until this year I was homeschooling three and doing a lot of chauffeuring.  We probably only had three productive days a week.  Now the 18yo and 15yo are at school most of the day and 11yo and I have all day at home.  Amazing what you can get accomplished when you HOMEschool.