Menu

Proudest Olympic Moments

Impish

I'm not sure this has been mentioned yet, but there were two news stories I caught today that made me really proud of fellow Canadians at the Olympics. I did babble in my blog about it, but for those who want direct links, the first story is about our cross country ski coach that went and assisted a Russian skier who's ski had broken, and the 2nd link is about our gold medal moguls athlete who picked up his brother (who is in a wheel chair due to CP) to celebrate with him at the finish.

I couldn't honestly tell you what medals we've won, in what sports, but these men are what true sportsmanship and heroes are made of, imo

http://www.thestar.com/sports/sochi2014/skiing/2014/02/11/canadian_coach_lends_helping_hand_to_russian_skier_in_cross_country_skiing_at_sochi_olympics.html

http://www.thestar.com/sports/sochi2014/2014/02/11/golden_boy_bilodeau_shares_his_success_with_brother_frederic.html

That coach that helped is Beckie Scotts husband which may not mean much to most but she is an Olympic gold medal cross country skier and hometown hero of the town I work in 10 minutes up the road from my town.  She and he come and do skiing workshops etc in the provincial park at times and I know cadets was already talking about having a training session with them next year when they start up their biathalon team and the kids were excited, but ever since he helped with that ski the kids have been even more so. 

I had not heard about the brothers story yet, likely because all anyone is talking about in town is becky scott's husband.

I am shocked that the nordic ski story is getting so much attention. Helping compeditors is part of the xc ski culture. In the trials there was a similar story involving a broken pole, and it happens at local races all the time. I wish I could link to specifics, but it is just so common that it rarely gets mentioned. The integrity of the sport is inspiring.

Bilodeau's story makes me smile.

I am shocked that the nordic ski story is getting so much attention. Helping compeditors is part of the xc ski culture. In the trials there was a similar story involving a broken pole, and it happens at local races all the time. I wish I could link to specifics, but it is just so common that it rarely gets mentioned. The integrity of the sport is inspiring.

Bilodeau's story makes me smile.

I think it is getting attention because so many were just standing there watching him flounder and doing nothing to step up and help even if they had the means to.  It certainly is part of the culture generaly and yet only 1 person stepped up to do anything.

Not pride, exactly, but I really enjoyed listening to two skiers (from different countries) talking after their runs. One of them said something like, "I took the advice you gave me last year, and it really helped...". 

And there seems to be a lot of gracious losing this year. I'm not a particular fan of Shaun White, but he seemed genuine when he congratulated the winner of the event he kind of expected to win.

Not pride, exactly, but I really enjoyed listening to two skiers (from different countries) talking after their runs. One of them said something like, "I took the advice you gave me last year, and it really helped...". 

And there seems to be a lot of gracious losing this year. I'm not a particular fan of Shaun White, but he seemed genuine when he congratulated the winner of the event he kind of expected to win.

I was impressed with Shaun White's gracious loss. He was under a lot of pressure to win a third time and he seemed very genuine congratulating the winner. 

The American girl who came in 3rd in the halfpipe was also very gracious to the girl who won silver. Nice to see that in a sport. 

Yes, I was also really touched by the cross-country ski story, and I've heard several similar stories (e.g., Norwegians giving poles to a Canadian woman when hers broke). I love seeing the respect that the athletes have for eachother, and it's great that the media are picking up on this instead of totally focusing on medals.

Now if we could just get Don Cherry off the air with his hideous suits... It was a delight, while it lasted, to enjoy winter sports without mention of hockey.

Around here, all the other winter sports are what you watch while waiting for the HOCKEY. *sigh*

Ya, our local "sports" radio is pathetic, as the only activity the announcers seem to have interest and knowledge about is hockey. In the summer they are stumped about what to talk about, but somehow manage to blabber on about hockey anyway. What a waste of potential.