Menu

Creatives/crafters - What have you been doing recently? Week of 1/11

TechWife

I haven't seen a thread for a while & since I've been working on a couple of things, I thought I'd start one. 

I am in two block of the month clubs this year. One is for a Dear Jane quilt. I really didn't know what I was getting into when I signed up for this one! It's quite a quilt, modeled after one that was made in the 1800's. It has 240 blocks, each of them unique. We are making ten blocks per month for the next two years and I have completed the first ten. 

The second club is this year's Michael Miller Clubhouse quilt, Daydream. I have finished the first two blocks of this quilt. 

I finally figured out how to add photos to a post! Yay! 

ETA: Removed photos - they were my own but they were photos of blocks I completed based on copyrighted patterns.

I'm knitting stockings for my family so we can hang them on the mantle next Christmas. I finished one in January and am about 1/3 of the way through the next one. I need to make 8, somehow I'm not quite sure that I'll finish before Christmas but with that many maybe no one will notice if we are short one or two. ;) I don't know how to post pictures from my phone.

I am working on 3 cloth books for my granson's birthday on Sunday.  One is a cheater ( preprinted) book about dogs.  2nd one is an I Spy book. Each page is one or two fun fabrics.  (Trains, cupcakes, kitties, crayons)

3rd one is colors.  Each page is one color with the word cut out and then swatches of fabric and ribbons to decorate it.

I am using my Cricut to cut out the words.  Makes me happy to use that thing for more than just scrapbooking.

I sewed up some knit nightshirts for my DIL.  First was was perfect, 2nd one is more rubbed knit and it's too big.  Oye.

I hear the Camo prom fabric has been ordered.  I sure hope  I am up for that challenge!

I made 9 little cloth covered pin boards out of IKEA cloth trivets, and one trivet covered in little river rocks.  Today I'm making DH's Valentine's gift, which is a frame with heart punches of maps of places we've been.  It will be an incomplete/ongoing craft that I will add to when we travel.

I haven't seen a thread for a while & since I've been working on a couple of things, I thought I'd start one. 

I am in two block of the month clubs this year. One is for a Dear Jane quilt. I really didn't know what I was getting into when I signed up for this one! It's quite a quilt, modeled after one that was made in the 1800's. It has 240 blocks, each of them unique. We are making ten blocks per month for the next two years and I have completed the first ten. 

attachicon.gifDJ Set 1.JPG

The second club is this year's Michael Miller Clubhouse quilt, Daydream. I have finished the first two blocks of this quilt. 

attachicon.gifphoto-3.JPG

I finally figured out how to add photos to a post! Yay! 

I too am having trouble with the photos, Techwife,so I googled images for the Dear Jane quilt.  Wow!  The complexity of this!

Having finished my son's socks (which were mailed in his Valentine goody box), I looked on Ravelry for inspiration.  Oh did I find it!  But reality slapped me in the face.  I have vowed that I must use up some of the stash before buying new yarn.  And I will need new yarn for the sock project that is luring me in.

Stash busting!  I am currently knitting a linen dishtowel, one of those lovely slipped stitch towels from the Purl Bee site.  I am making the basket stitch one.  Here is the photo from their site:

After this, I plan on getting rid of a number of leftover bits of cotton yarn using Purl Bee's Log Cabin washcloth pattern.

I look forward to purchasing some new sock yarn in March!

I tried some stash-busting knitting with some grey yarn.  After fiddling with it for a couple of weeks, and at one point making an entire sweater back I then decided I really didn't like, I went out and purchased some bright red yarn.  I've been working on a cardigan for me with it.  This just isn't the winter to be messing with grey yarn, know what I mean?  I'm doing Girl Friday http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall09/PATTgirlfriday.php

Also, Shrek the Musical is happening in our lives.  I'm in charge of the 3 Blind MIce, so I'm working on pink dresses using Simplicity 1609 http://www.simplicity.com/p-8866-misses-jiffy-1960s-vintage-dress.aspx  Plus they can't find all 3 of the white canes that are supposedly somewhere in the props room, so I said we'd go buy dowel rods, paint them, then attach pink sparkles.  Plus Shrek and LIttle Shrek's burlap backpacks, and lots of other little odds and ends.  I spent Monday evening figuring out red turtlenecks for Dulac dancers, many of which will need to be taken in (the director found a stack of them for $3 each so she bought them even though most of them are too big for the kids -- but finding 24 matching turtlenecks cheap trumped finding them in the correct size).  So, anyway, lots of Shrek stuff, and chattering with other moms about how to approach making dozens of skirts for rat tappers or Dulac dancers, lots of alterations, running to the fabric store.

I tried some stash-busting knitting with some grey yarn.  After fiddling with it for a couple of weeks, and at one point making an entire sweater back I then decided I really didn't like, I went out and purchased some bright red yarn.  I've been working on a cardigan for me with it.  This just isn't the winter to be messing with grey yarn, know what I mean?  I'm doing Girl Friday http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall09/PATTgirlfriday.php

Also, Shrek the Musical is happening in our lives.  I'm in charge of the 3 Blind MIce, so I'm working on pink dresses using Simplicity 1609 http://www.simplicity.com/p-8866-misses-jiffy-1960s-vintage-dress.aspx  Plus they can't find all 3 of the white canes that are supposedly somewhere in the props room, so I said we'd go buy dowel rods, paint them, then attach pink sparkles.  Plus Shrek and LIttle Shrek's burlap backpacks, and lots of other little odds and ends.  I spent Monday evening figuring out red turtlenecks for Dulac dancers, many of which will need to be taken in (the director found a stack of them for $3 each so she bought them even though most of them are too big for the kids -- but finding 24 matching turtlenecks cheap trumped finding them in the correct size).  So, anyway, lots of Shrek stuff, and chattering with other moms about how to approach making dozens of skirts for rat tappers or Dulac dancers, lots of alterations, running to the fabric store.

The sweater is awesome! 

Let me know how the dress comes together.  This looks like a good project for some of my 4-Hers.

I'm also in stash-busting mode--have been since Jan as part of the Just One More Row podcast's Clean Slate Challenge. The challenge runs through the end of Feb but I can see I still have a lot of work to do on the stash. I was eyeballing my sock yarns. Oy! Some yarns want to become socks, others wish they could but must become something else and still others have no idea what they want to do.

Currently I'm working of another pair of socks for dh and Citron shawl for me.

I can't seem to get pics to upload either. Boo.

Yeah, I didn't even try this time!  It seems like I figure it out, and then it changes or else I forget the magic formula.

But I *DO* appreciate not having a bunch of spam pics put on here by spammy spammers who find it oh-so-easy to fill our screens with pictures I'd rather not see; so I try to appreciate the hoops we jump through to get our pictures loaded.

I enjoy seeing what other crafters are up to.  Thanks for sharing.

For me, I've got the third section from the bottom done - a hand-appliqued section with a cabin and four trees on my North Woods Quilt Quest Part 4.

Posts on how I constructed the earlier sections can be found on the website, Artistic Angle, if you want to follow along.  ;)

All my plans to finish up my ruana this weekend have come to naught.  I was fighting something off most of the long snowy weekend and just didn't feel up to doing anything but lie on the couch or watch tv.  I hate it when that happens.

I hope others here have had better success. 

:grouphug:  I just got over a nasty head cold so I know what you mean about not feeling up to anything. I hope you're feeling better!

All my plans to finish up my ruana this weekend have come to naught.  I was fighting something off most of the long snowy weekend and just didn't feel up to doing anything but lie on the couch or watch tv.  I hate it when that happens.

I hope others here have had better success. 

I've been in the same boat. Ironing two pieces of fabric yesterday put me on the couch for hours! I went to urgent care yesterday & got some lovely meds, but they make me hyper! 

I've been in the same boat. Ironing two pieces of fabric yesterday put me on the couch for hours! I went to urgent care yesterday & got some lovely meds, but they make me hyper! 

Sending best wishes to TechWife and PrincessMommy.  I hope that you two and anyone else who is under the weather feel better soon.

:grouphug: (wearing my mask and gloves as I give you this hug!)