Menu

Chicken broth/bouillion

saraha

Can someone recommend a broth or boullion that doesn't have msg et all?

I know I can make my own, but have let go of that idea and use canned and powdered.  Now I want to find something a little healthier that lets me make my easy comfort foods.

I know we had a conversation about this before, maybe years ago, but I couldn't find it.

thanks!

A lot of them say no msg- but many things are labeled under a different name and produce the same effects as MSG- autolyzed yeast extract, autolyzed celery extract, hydrolyzed soy protien, tortula yeast, etc are all common, innocent sounding additives that act as excito-toxins like MSG. The food industry has caught on to the fact that many consumers dislike MSG, so they've found ways around it. I just make my own, I've not found any that are free of these ingredients or that taste even remotely as good as homemade. I make up big batches of stock- chicken, beef, vegetable- and freeze them in mason jars, freezer bags and even in ice cube trays for when I just need a little bit.

I love to make my own, but I also use Better Than Bouillon in a pinch. You can buy a little jar of it near the other broths and soups. It is technically a base, or a concentrated paste. It doesn't have MSG. They make an organic version, which has superior ingredients (no soy protein). I buy small jars for around $5 at our local grocery store or large jars at Costco for around $8. It doesn't compare to homemade broth but I think it is much better than powder, cubes, or cans. Much more economical than the cartons of Pacific broth. http://www.superiortouch.com/retail/products/better-than-bouillon/organic-bases/38/organic-chicken-base

I love to make my own, but I also use Better Than Bouillon in a pinch. You can buy a little jar of it near the other broths and soups. It is technically a base, or a concentrated paste. It doesn't have MSG. They make an organic version, which has superior ingredients (no soy protein). I buy small jars for around $5 at our local grocery store or large jars at Costco for around $8. It doesn't compare to homemade broth but I think it is much better than powder, cubes, or cans. Much more economical than the cartons of Pacific broth. http://www.superiortouch.com/retail/products/better-than-bouillon/organic-bases/38/organic-chicken-base

I like Better than Bouillon too when I don't have any homemade broth.

I buy the organic Better Than Bouillon at Costco. (Dd18 has a soy allergy.) We use the BTB several times a week.

Its SO easy to make your own! Get a hormone free whole chicken, put it in a large pot, cover with (filtered if possible) water, add salt, peppercorns (1-2 T), few carrots, celery, onion, bay leaf. Boil for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, then you can pull the chicken out and eat it, throw the bones back in and simmer for a few more hours, strain into containers, cool in frig first, then to freezer. Don't use glass jars to freeze unless they go straight up, no narrowing near the top, or they will break. I use my older plastic ware and it works fine.

Can someone recommend a broth or boullion that doesn't have msg et all?

I know I can make my own, but have let go of that idea and use canned and powdered.  Now I want to find something a little healthier that lets me make my easy comfort foods.

I know we had a conversation about this before, maybe years ago, but I couldn't find it.

thanks!

Better Than Bullion Chicken Base....no MSG. 

Why have you let go of the idea of making your own?

Plenty of broths are labeled "no MSG," but I've not yet found one that doesn't contain processed free glutamic acid (the chemical in MSG that causes reactions).  Processed free glutamic acid is found in over 40 ingredients:

www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

Okay, Better Than Bullion doesn't pass the test for this, but it's still better than the other garbage on the shelves.

Better Than Bullion Chicken Base....no MSG. 

Why have you let go of the idea of making your own?

Basically because there are only so many hours a day in my life right now, and what I found was that we were not eating some of our favorite dishes because I didn't have broth made up, and I wouldn't get the broth made up because now that we are out of chickens we hardly ever eat chicken, and a whole list of excuses really that culminates in the job not getting done, but we still want to have meals and soups made with chicken broth.  It isn't because I can't do it, it is because I won't prioritize it over other things that are going on.  You know?

Thank you all so much for your input. It looks like it boils down to, there are some choices better than others, but no good choices.  Which I can live with, just wanted to check.

Pacific Organic free range chicken broth.

This. I hesitated to buy it, since the dc have never liked prepackaged soups, but I wanted broth to have on hand for when I didn't have time to make soup from scratch. I threw in some frozen mixed veggies and chopped onion, as well as a little chopped leftover chicken. My dc proclaimed it wonderful.