Menu

Cheesy Workbooks that are actually Hidden Gems

Hunter

Do you order them and they're delivered weekly? I'm wondering if I'm missing something...

You can order one of more subjects of Studies Weekly, and a bundle is sent to you each quarter along with the teacher's materials. If you order mid-year, they send you all of them from the previous quarters.

• Like 5

My son used Mastering Essential Math Skills  in between 6th and 7th grade as a way of retaining math skills.  We skipped around a bit, but I was really impressed with the layout for each page - a nice selections of skills including basic computation, and then a more focused section, complete with mini-review.  According to the Amazon page, the author now offers videos to go along with several of his books, including this one.

Hunter, I don't know if they would interest you or not, but his books are available for digital download on his website: mathessentials.net

ETA: We used Book 2, not Book 1 with the same name (and for 4th-5th grade review).

• Like 3

My son used Mastering Essential Math Skills  in between 6th and 7th grade as a way of retaining math skills.  We skipped around a bit, but I was really impressed with the layout for each page - a nice selections of skills including basic computation, and then a more focused section, complete with mini-review.  According to the Amazon page, the author now offers videos to go along with several of his books, including this one.

Hunter, I don't know if they would interest you or not, but his books are available for digital download on his website: mathessentials.net

Thank you!

We have the Grade 5 Science and Social Studies and I really like them.  The Teacher's Guide has the workbook of questions and fill in the blanks for reading comprehension.  I was surprised how throrough they for American History.  I think you can use these as a spine and then add additional books for reading for historical periods.  They have craft ideas, like make a compass for the Explorers Age.  I am just using them as a supplement.  The Science ones also have workbooks in the Teacher's Guide and one or two experiments to try for each issue.  The science has great visuals to explain the concepts.

I am impressed with these. http://studiesweekly.com/  AND THEY ARE CHEAP.  It's a GREAT price and it is pack full of info!

We use the 4th grade social studies and science. I really like them, this is our second year using them. 

I especially like the 4th grade social studies for covering state history. 

And they are soooo CHEAP!!!

• Like 2

My son used Mastering Essential Math Skills in between 6th and 7th grade as a way of retaining math skills. We skipped around a bit, but I was really impressed with the layout for each page - a nice selections of skills including basic computation, and then a more focused section, complete with mini-review. According to the Amazon page, the author now offers videos to go along with several of his books, including this one.

ETA: We used Book 2, not Book 1 with the same name (and for 4th-5th grade review).

I tried to buy book 1 this morning, but the website said it couldn't process my order, because the Paypal payment didn't go through. But paypal said it did go through. Ugh! No download link even an hour and half later.

I can't figure out the suggested scope and sequence to use these workbooks. I see there are extra books that repeat the same topics and sometimes even the same material. Can you do book 1 and then algebra?

I haven't read this thread yet, I'm posting so I can find it when I have time, so someone else might have mentioned this, but we just received this for Spanish:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Book-Spanish-Grades/dp/0769685641

I got it for my 2nd grader, so she could get more review and reinforcement, because I need to separate them and let the 6th grader move faster.

Well, she loves it!  She's done about 20 pages of it in the past 24 hours.  She tells me she . . . loves workbooks!  :eek:  So I'll be coming back and perusing this thread . . . I could definitely use something to give her to work on independently while I'm working with her sister, and if it's fun, and she learns something from it, what a bonus!  Most of the curricula I've chosen are very teacher-intensive and I'm finding that I can't be two places at once - go figure.

• Like 2

I haven't read this thread yet, I'm posting so I can find it when I have time, so someone else might have mentioned this, but we just received this for Spanish:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Book-Spanish-Grades/dp/0769685641

I got it for my 2nd grader, so she could get more review and reinforcement, because I need to separate them and let the 6th grader move faster.

Well, she loves it!  She's done about 20 pages of it in the past 24 hours.  She tells me she . . . loves workbooks!  :eek:  So I'll be coming back and perusing this thread . . . I could definitely use something to give her to work on independently while I'm working with her sister, and if it's fun, and she learns something from it, what a bonus!  Most of the curricula I've chosen are very teacher-intensive and I'm finding that I can't be two places at once - go figure.

I've been thinking of teaching Spanish, just because of these types of workbooks. Students like them, and they work. Even with older students.

I have to choose either Spanish or handcrafts, right now. There isn't time for both. It was just this morning that I think I'm choosing handcrafts. But these workbooks look like an awfully easy way to learn Spanish. Yesterday I was looking at Little Pim videos, too. Downloads are $9.99 and there are free scripts that you can use for copywork.

This is out of stock at Amazon, and going for $32 on Rainbow Resource, but I just found it available for free download on Teachers Pay Teachers (after logging-in):

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Adventures-of-Genius-Boy-and-Grammar-Girl-63533

Thanks for mentioning this, looks like a fun way to learn grammar!  

Thank you!!!!  This rocks!!!

I bought the Evan Moor workbook on American Popular Music, from Currclick. I think I like it. So far, I can find plenty of inexpensive mp3s at Amazon. And it's very different that Classical and hymn study. There are 2 lessons on Folk music; traditional and modern.

I have been breaking each year up into 3 terms of 3 blocks each. I think I'm going to do a 4 week classical, hymn, and popular music block each term.

• Like 1

I bought the Evan Moor workbook on American Popular Music, from Currclick. I think I like it. So far, I can find plenty of inexpensive mp3s at Amazon. And it's very different that Classical and hymn study. There are 2 lessons on Folk music; traditional and modern.

I have been breaking each year up into 3 terms of 3 blocks each. I think I'm going to do a 4 week classical, hymn, and popular music block each term.

Ooh, neat. I bought Marsalis on Music, that comes with a CD. I got it used. 

http://www.amazon.com/Marsalis-Music-Wynton/dp/0393038815/

• Like 1

Hey, Hunter, check this out from the US State Dept or some other government agency, I am not sure

http://iipdigital.usembassy.gov/ebooks.html

scroll down to

American Popular Music

American popular music is a kaleidoscopic mélange of styles and dreams. Its vibrancy reflects the mating of cultural diversity to artistic and creative freedom. The stories in this book illustrate how Americans, borrowing from diverse musical traditions, have contributed to humanity’s universal language. 

Available in epub, Kindle, and PDF formats, for free. It's a condensed version, apparently, of a book -- it's about 100 pages long.

But...there are lots of other interesting things there too!

I also found this from a link on that page

http://americanenglish.state.gov/resources/sing-out-loud-traditional-songs

http://americanenglish.state.gov/resources/american-rhythms

both of which have downloadable music

• Like 1

Hey, Hunter, check this out from the US State Dept or some other government agency, I am not sure

http://iipdigital.usembassy.gov/ebooks.html

scroll down to

American Popular Music

American popular music is a kaleidoscopic mélange of styles and dreams. Its vibrancy reflects the mating of cultural diversity to artistic and creative freedom. The stories in this book illustrate how Americans, borrowing from diverse musical traditions, have contributed to humanity’s universal language. 

Available in epub, Kindle, and PDF formats, for free. It's a condensed version, apparently, of a book -- it's about 100 pages long.

But...there are lots of other interesting things there too!

I also found this from a link on that page

http://americanenglish.state.gov/resources/sing-out-loud-traditional-songs

http://americanenglish.state.gov/resources/american-rhythms

both of which have downloadable music

Thank you so much! These look awesome!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I found a My Big Book of Kindergarten at Wal Mart- School Zone maybe? It was the perfect supplement to Singapore Math Essential K. In fact I think it did a better job in a lot of places. 

I also found this old public school work text at a Salvation Army called Mathematics in Action. I picked it up for my 1st grader to explore on his own. It came with punch out paper math manipulatives etc. It's really good. It is sort of pushing Miquon and MM out of the front place as our spine. He asks to do it. 

Evan Moor Skills Sharpeners were kind of fun, although I don't think I'd buy any more.

I really like Evan Moor Daily Language Review. 

I do like The Complete books as well. I'm not as big a fan of the Presidents/States one however and will likely not use that one again.

I know this is old but I saw this and thought my worksheet devouring k'er might like the math book (we've went through MiF, a chunk of Miquon and are working on MEP now). Is  this the Mathematics book? http://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Action-Kindergarten-Alan-Hoffer/dp/0021084998/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447016511&sr=8-1&keywords=mathematics+in+action+kindergarten

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I normally hate workbook-type stuff, but my younger daughter was begging to "do school" as a preschooler, so she could be like her big sister. These "Get Ready for School" workbooks are beautiful--full color, spiral bound, and great activities that my daughter loved. (Stuff like tracing lines and making letter shapes, learning colors and numbers, etc.) I only used the preschool and K aged ones, but I was really impressed with the quality of the paper and design and the quality of the actual learning tasks. Highly recommend for any parent who needs something to keep the little kids busy at the other end of the table. 

The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, grades 3-6. It just has a lot of everything for map skills, terms, US geography, for a bargain price.

I discovered this one randomly and totally agree. We are using it after EM Beginning Geography. We only do a page a day, so it will last a few years. It is dd's favorite subject and the first thing she wants to do every day.