Menu

What Do You Know Without Googling -- A Forum Game

mom2bee

The rules are simple. You answer the previous question and ask a question in the same post. No internet searches allowed (no yahoo!, ask.com, google, etc...) No looking in reference books or anything like that. This is just a game to see what sort of knowledge you, personally have.

Do You Know--without Googling...The capital of Spain?

The rules are simple. You answer the previous question and ask a question in the same post. No internet searches allowed (no yahoo!, ask.com, google, etc...) No looking in reference books or anything like that. This is just a game to see what sort of knowledge you, personally have.

Do You Know--without Googling...The capital of Spain?

I'm not great at geography but I think its Madrid.

DYK--without Googling....the year that "Titanic" (the movie) came out?

Totally guessing, as I have never seen it, but 1999?

DYKWG--what is the quadratic formula?

Quadratic Formula x = .5{- +/- sqrt of [b^2] - [4ac] }

and is used to find solutions to quadratic equations. (polynomial functions of degree 2)

Titanic Came out in 1997

DYKWG -- Who George Washington Carver was and how he got his name?

George Washington Carver was a brilliant inventor, an important AA figure and........... his name origin I don't know. After the president I would assume?  Carver was probably his "owner" during slavery?

Speaking of peanuts, who was President right before Jimmy Carter?

Who was/is SWB?

This one is easy.

Susan wise Bauer.

Eta, my question

Why is toad hall called toad HALL. Why is the big mansion he lives in called a hall?

The answer can be found in th book I'm reading, "at home, a short history of private life"

I'm on my iPad and typing is difficult.

Hmm. I don't know what toad hall is. And I didn't know SWB wrote fiction. That makes me feel like a dope. George Washington Carver's name - I know it had something to do with the nice lady of the house who taught him to read. I think she told him he had to pick a proper name or something like that.

DYKWOG - who invented the television? 

This one is easy.

Susan wise Bauer.

Eta, my question

Why is toad hall called toad HALL. Why is the big mansion he lives in called a hall?

The answer can be found in th book I'm reading, "at home, a short history of private life"

I'm on my iPad and typing is difficult.

Isn't the "hall" the mansion that the Lord lives in?  So he would have been Lord Toad?  I'm not googling so I have no idea if I'm right. . . 

Quadratic Formula x = .5{- +/- sqrt of [b^2] - [4ac] }  (you left out the a in the denominator :) ... which I'm realizing is hard to add with a decimal as a coefficient... so more like

x = {- +/- sqrt of ([b^2] - [4ac]) }/(2a)

And I don't know how GW Carver got his name (though I'd guess first and middle were after the president...), but I think he did a lot of work with peanuts.

Goshdurnit, have no idea who invented the TV...

Television was pioneered by Farnsworth (and others) in the USA but I am not certain who is credited with inventing it.

Q: Is there sound in outer space?

A: There is sound in outer space but no medium for it to travel through.

Q: Who is John Grogan and what is he most famous for?

A: There is sound in outer space but no medium for it to travel through.

Q: Who is John Grogan and what is he most famous for?

He is a writer, who wrote "Marley and Me." 

And yes, the TV invention is credited to Filo Farnsworth. But RCA supposedly stole his idea and he never saw any bit payoff.

DYKWOG - What is the length of gestation for an elephant? 

He is a writer, who wrote "Marley and Me." 

And yes, the TV invention is credited to Filo Farnsworth. But RCA supposedly stole his idea and he never saw any bit payoff.

DYKWOG - What is the length of gestation for an elephant? 

I think it's 2 years. But I'm not certain. (ARGH, turns out it was 19 months, which was my 2nd guess actually :))

DYKWOG: What does "ante-penultimate" mean? :)

Before the next-to-the last.

What is the Circle of Willis?

That's an area of the brain. . . but I can't remember what it's in charge of, so I'll pass that little bit onto someone else who can add onto it. 

Nice one on "ante-penultimate" TrulyCrabby. :)

That's an area of the brain. . . but I can't remember what it's in charge of, so I'll pass that little bit onto someone else who can add onto it. 

Nice one on "ante-penultimate" TrulyCrabby. :)

Yes, circulosis arteriosis cerebri, aka circle of willis is an arterial formation at the base of the brain. Anyone who knows why it is a "spider" gets an extra two points... :)