Menu

How has using a CPAP machine improved your life?

RoughCollie

DH underwent a sleep study 2 years ago, and was told to use a CPAP machine.  He refuses to do it, no matter what.

He "sleeps" for 11-12 hours a night.  He takes a 2 hour nap most days.  He wakes up frequently during the night.  Last night was typical:  He woke up around 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.  I know this because I woke up, too, as I do every night.  I don't know if he wakes up more frequently and doesn't wake me up.

He takes NyQuil every night because it helps him breathe somehow.  This is also not good for him.

The kids and I are really worried about DH's health, so we have decided to have an intervention.  We want to present anecdotal evidence from actual CPAP users, as well as facts from reputable sources, and our feelings about the matter.  DH is pre-diabetic and won't change his diet -- he eats out or buys foods he likes (mostly junk) during the workday.  DH gets no exercise because, due to having had strokes, he can no longer play racquetball.  He is 50 lbs. overweight.  He is 64.5 years old.

We are all really worried that he will die sooner rather than later.

So, how has the use of a CPAP machine improved your life or that of someone close to you?

Thank you,

RC

I no longer fall asleep while driving.  Dd no longer has to keep kicking the back of my driver's seat in the car to make sure that I don't fall asleep.

I am much more clearer in speech and memory.  I don't keep forgetting my train of thought halfway through my sentence.  

It took me about 3 days or so, but I did get used to it.

It's ok to experiment with different masks until you get the right one.  On the advice of a friend who uses one, I asked right away for a "nasal pillow" and that worked for me but I am not a mouth breather and my nose shape fits it.

I am no longer out of breath all the time.

You will have to wash the mask daily and the hose twice a month etc.  If you do, you will get used to it and it won't irritate you.  If you don't,  you will get sores on your nose and possibly even an infection.

If I wear my CPap, I will sleep the entire night except for possibly having to get up once to go to the bathroom.  If I don't, I will keep waking up in the night even if I'm not totally aware of it because I keep jerking awake.  Now that I'm used to my CPap, I'm much more aware of my broken sleep when I don't wear it.  

If you get one with a humidifier on it, it warms the air and your nose won't dry out.  You won't get as many colds.  

My husband started using a CPAP machine seven years ago.  He no longer falls asleep every time he sits down.  His brain works better.  He has more energy.  He no longer has a wife who resents his snoring.  That sort of thing.  Now he can't sleep without it.

My dad started using one a few years ago. He no longer falls asleep all day long sitting or driving!!! My mom is sleeping better because he doesn't snore.

I am waiting on the referral so I can go do a study. I snore but I have apnea and have since childhood. My mom noticed but the doctors were never worried about it. It is affecting my life negatively now as I am never ever rested. I wake up feeling worse then when I went to bed.

It is has been a miracle for me and dh. I use swift fx nasal pillows and he uses quattro fx full face mask. There are many different mask types and it did take us several weeks to get used to it. Now I cannot imagine sleeping without it. CPAPtalk.com has a lot of useful info. For mouth breather like I was, use a halo chin strap. There are also many different chin straps.

You do?  Oh dear.  I don't wash my mask often at all (nose pillows) and I have washed my hose twice in the last 12 months.  

What do you wash your mask off with?

Dawn

You will have to wash the mask daily and the hose twice a month etc.  If you do, you will get used to it and it won't irritate you.  If you don't,  you will get sores on your nose and possibly even an infection.

My apnea is not severe.  I snore quite loudly, but that could also be because I have a deviated septum and I need to lose weight.

How has it changed my life?  I do get better sleep and sounder sleep.  I got to move back into the bedroom with my husband  :hurray: .  

Now, my problem is that when I get up to use the bathroom, I sometimes forget to put it back on.  I am so tired and not really thinking clearly, that I just lie back down and fall asleep without thinking.  Usually, I then get a poke from DH to "put that dang thing back on!"

You do?  Oh dear.  I don't wash my mask often at all (nose pillows) and I have washed my hose twice in the last 12 months.  

What do you wash your mask off with?

Dawn

I wash the mask with some Johnson's baby shampoo (what the doctor recommended) and warm water.  Ditto for the hose.  With the mask, you are really washing off skin oils that can accumulate and be irritating.  But of course if I have a virus etc. then there are germs too.  

My dh got his probably 6 or so years ago?  My quality of life improved because I was sleeping again.  Prior to that I woke up all night long listening to dh not breathing, then gasping for air.  Not very restful.  

How did his life improve?

-No more daily headaches that made life just about unbearable

-No longer grouchy with everyone because he was tired

-His wife no longer feels like clobbering him on a daily basis because he was so grouchy all the time

-No more falling asleep any time he sat down

I will say that he hates, hates, hates, using it.  But, the benefits outweigh the loathing.  The other night I poked him and reminded him to put on his mask.  He was tired and said he didn't need it anymore (we go through this ritual several times a week).  I said suit yourself and went to bed.  The next morning he felt awful.  I told him what transpired and he laughed because he didn't remember it but knows that he would totally say that and the next night, he was careful to put it on without a reminder.  ;)

My DH has one and I can now sleep in the same room with him, no longer feeling like I'm sleeping with a growling bear. He sleeps much better with it, and feels much better during the day.

He can't sleep without it now.

My DH didn't have difficulty getting used to his, but we do know a lot of people who have not adjusted so easily.

My dh got his probably 6 or so years ago?  My quality of life improved because I was sleeping again.  Prior to that I woke up all night long listening to dh not breathing, then gasping for air.  Not very restful.  

How did his life improve?

-No more daily headaches that made life just about unbearable

-No longer grouchy with everyone because he was tired

-His wife no longer feels like clobbering him on a daily basis because he was so grouchy all the time

-No more falling asleep any time he sat down

I will say that he hates, hates, hates, using it.  But, the benefits outweigh the loathing.  The other night I poked him and reminded him to put on his mask.  He was tired and said he didn't need it anymore (we go through this ritual several times a week).  I said suit yourself and went to bed.  The next morning he felt awful.  I told him what transpired and he laughed because he didn't remember it but knows that he would totally say that and the next night, he was careful to put it on without a reminder.   ;)

Totally off topic, but I like the word "clobber."

RoughCollie may want to use it with her dh in presenting her arguments. :)

Okay, carry on....

ETA: I know someone who has very obvious sleep apnea. She is not one to get medical intervention. She had an accident in which she fell asleep at the wheel and ran off the side of the road into a haystack. That should have been her lesson. It happened again but this time she ended up having to have a hip replacement because of her injuries after that accident.

When I treated my sleep apnea, I went from needing 12+ hours of sleep a night to needing 8. And I wake up without an alarm and actually rested. I had never experienced that in my life that I remember.

I no longer wake up with headaches, or very rarely do.  I don't fall asleep sitting down on the couch to read. I have more energy for sure.

It improved my mood.

This is all fresh in my mind because I had to go without (logistics) for about a couple of weeks recently. I started first with the morning headaches. Then the exhaustion hit. On week-ends, I found myself sleeping 14 hours easily and was still tired. I was napping during the day. I also would wake, especially as I was falling asleep feeling I was suffocating. I don't remember that suffocating feeling from before my sleep study though. I don't know if living without it so long has made me aware or it's something else, but now I'm treated again and that's gone completely away. I'm back to myself sleep, mood, and energy wise.

And I was mild sleep apnea when tested.

It takes some adjustment, but his life and health will be far better once he begins sleeping with the cpap. Cpap talk online forum has other wearers, who are a great help. I so hope your husband will listen. Untreated apnea will shorten his life--very likely duration and certainly quality. He probably doesn't remember what it feels like to get good sleep. It will very likely improve his life. It will certainly improve his health.

I have severe sleep apnea. My CPAP helped me get quality sleep. If your dh is sleeping 12 hours a night, and still naps, he's not getting good sleep. I can get up in the mornings without dragging, I'm alert all day long, I can focus better, I have more energy and at work, my productivity improved by 22%. It's been a life-changer. 

My dh was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea about a month ago and started using his CPAP machine 2 weeks ago. In that short amount of time, he already feels better. He has more energy and doesn't fall asleep every time he sits down. I don't have to listen to his snoring anymore, either.  :001_smile:

Ds got a BiPAP machine last summer. It is pretty much the same as a CPAP.

Before he stayed in bed long hours. He took a long time to get to sleep. He woke during the night and took a long time to get back to sleep. I know this because I would listen to him. Some nights he never really slept. Sleep studies showed that even when he "slept" he never reached deep sleep --the kind you need to restore.

After he sleeps, so his mom sleeps. During the day his teacher says he is more focused on learning and actively participating with peers rather than resorting to silly behavior. You know that silly behavior children fall into when they are tired? I don't see it anymore and neither do people at school.

It doesn't just help the person using the machine. It helps everyone in the family and it helps all the people who interact with the person at work or school.

Lack of sleep does nasty things to people physically and psychologically.  My dad went from an angry bear to lovable and playful teddy after getting his CPAP.    He is no longer suicidal, and he can function in large groups again.  He lost a bunch of weight too (he had been using sugar to keep himself awake).

Thank you all so much!  I will go to that CPAP forum and check out the links posted by LibertyH.

We are going to form a solid plan for exactly how to go about this intervention.  The wrong approach will shut DH down and it will be like banging our heads against a brick wall.  He has to feel loved and appreciated, not criticized.