Menu

Memorizing Bible Verses

eaglei

Does anyone have a list of favorite Bible verses you are working on memorizing, or a favorite site that makes recommendations?

I have googled and found WAY too many sites!  I want to use just one site/one list - which one?

The purpose is that I want to work harder this year on memorizing scripture, but I don't want to do it randomly; I want a plan, or, at least a semi-plan . . . a site that lists perhaps a hundred verses would give me the semi-plan - just choose one verse at a time.

I'm not necessarily looking for the *standard* verses, like John 3:16.  That's why I suggested perhaps a hundred verses, so that the ones I already know can be eliminated and I should be left with plenty from which to choose. 

Thank you!

We use "Memory Work for Lutheran Schools and Homes," which is available for free here. It's a full-year memory work curriculum for grades 1 through 8, based on a 1944 book Memory Book for Lutheran Schools. Each year builds on the next with review of previous years, while adding in new pieces. It's categorized into sections, like God; Prayer; The Ten Commandments; Salvation and Faith; Christmas; Love; etc. It includes both Bible verses and songs/hymn verses. You could pick and choose from among the pieces offered.

Erica in OR

Honestly, I just sat down with my Bible and picked some of the things I'd underlined as being important or particularly powerful to me.  I have read a few books written on verse memorization and some argue toward memorizing longer segments -- it being more brain friendly, to memorize concepts in a longer context.

One that we plan to memorize this year is Psalm 100.  Seems a good one for children (and we have the first stanza memorized already from a Seeds Family Worship song!  We love SFW. :D) 

I try to stay clear of verses that are character-based (ie. like making argumentative children memorize Prov 15:1... IDK, it feels overly preachy and self-righteous to me, though I do see the benefit of knowing those verses) but aim more to memorize verses that highlight the character of God, path of salvation, how to live a Godly life, etc.

We use "Memory Work for Lutheran Schools and Homes," which is available for free here. It's a full-year memory work curriculum for grades 1 through 8, based on a 1944 book Memory Book for Lutheran Schools. Each year builds on the next with review of previous years, while adding in new pieces. It's categorized into sections, like God; Prayer; The Ten Commandments; Salvation and Faith; Christmas; Love; etc. It includes both Bible verses and songs/hymn verses. You could pick and choose from among the pieces offered.

Erica in OR

I've never heard of this - what a great resource! Thx!

I recently started a thread on helping littles memorizing verses.  Someone suggested looking at Desiring God's set of "Fighter Verses".   Their website lists 70-something verses recommended for kids, "Foundation Verses", and five years worth of suggested "Fighter Verses".  They also have a schedule for memorizing large chunks of Scripture over five years (all of Philippians, James, the Sermon on the Mount, Isa 53, and I forget what else).  Great lists.  I ended up downloading the Fighter Verses app for $2.99.  Instead of finding it really helpful for this kids, I am really liking it for me:)  It lets you schedule verses, add your own verses if you want to, quiz yourself (for example, putting in blanks for some of the words in the verse you are learning and gradually adding more and more blanks as you learn the verse), and keep track of which ones you've memorized, etc.  

I second the "Fighter Verses" recommendation - I've been using this app and have been fairly successful (not anything close to perfect, mind you, but I have actually memorized a number of verses AND remembered them!)

I hope to be a little more faithful with it this year, and have asked a friend to listen to my verses every week - I hope this help!!

Anne

• 11 months later...

I prefer passages. This year we have been working on Psalm 23 and 25. Right now we are memorizing the Nativity from Luke 2. The first chapter of John is good to memorize. There are passage in Isaiah that are good, too. Philippians 2 is a good chapter to work on. Hebrew 11 is another good one.

*Spam* reported. 

Something that has worked for our family is making a section of Scripture part of our regular prayers.  For example, we say Psalm 50 daily in our morning prayers, so it is now memorized.  That way, we didn't really even have to work at memorizing it -- it just got memorized over time.  At bedtime, I cross the littles and say "The Lord bless you and keep you, the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you, the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you piece" as they head off to bed. So that got memorized, too.  It's kind of like how a lot of us have the Lord's Prayer memorized even though we didn't work on memorizing it -- we just have prayed it a lot, in services or at home. 

Anyway, that has worked for us!

ETA - {blush} I just realized you didn't ask HOW to memorize things but what to memorize.  My apologies!