Menu

Does Reputation Matter?

How much does a curriculum provider's reputation matter to you?  I'm not talking about the actual product's repuation, but the business' reputation for good service, ethics, etc.  

I'm looking at a curricula made by a provider that has an iffy reputation (not WP, though I know y'all were thinking that!).  The product has a basically good reputation, but the business owner.... eh, not so much.  He/She tries to quash negative feedback and is kind of overbearing.

So, now I'm stuck trying to decide whether to keep looking as a matter of principle (not wanting to reward bad behavior with my money) or just ignore the owner's reputation and use the product.

If the product will make your life easier, and you will get the product in a timely manner, I would get it. Maybe you could write the company an email stating you are not satisfied with ......... and that it almost made you not buy the product. It might help them wake up a bit.

Maybe you could buy the product used? So at least you are helping out another homeschool mom/ person. Just a thought.

A little.  If I'm on the fence about something, maybe it would be the tipping point?  But if I want the product, the transaction is so small with the business owner.  Of course, WP would be a whole other can of worms - but it would have to be a business with a rep that bad, you know?

I think it's more likely to matter the other way.  If a provider has a great reputation, especially for responding to people, and the product is good too at a good price, then I'm more likely to take a risk on it and get it, even if I'm not sure if we'll end up using it.  Case in point, BFSU.  Dr. Nebel has a great reputation for responding to users and the product is well priced as ebook.  I got it even though I wasn't sure I wanted it.  Turned out it wasn't quite what I wanted, but I didn't regret it - it *is* a great program.  So I think from a business perspective, having a bad rep doesn't stop most of the people who really want your product, but having a good rep makes people more likely to take a risk on you.

ETA: If by ethics you mean giving money to things I think are really wrong and morally disagree with, that might be different.  I guess I assume you're talking about attitude and manner of the business, not whether a business supports something politically, for example.

Over a decade ago I was active on an email list devoted to homeschool political andegiative issues. At the time PA proposed a special tier of homeschoolers who would get state approved diplomas if they homeschooled with certain state recognized curriculum providers. At least one entity that campaigned for this had a financial stake in the new status because they make money providing online classes. They did not seem open to honest debate about the topic.

Even though there have been rave reviews about the online classes and even though some of their contract teachers are long time posters here whom I respect (and who weren't people who concerned me during the legislative debate) I don't think I would be able to send money to that company.

Unfortunately the worst case scenario suggested back then, that independent homeschoolers would be disadvantaged seems to have happened. One of the high school board posters went through the wringer with Pittsburgh a couple years ago because her son didn't have one of the special diplomas (despite being a very strong candidate with top scores).

So yeah sometimes it matters.

How much does a curriculum provider's reputation matter to you? I'm not talking about the actual product's repuation, but the business' reputation for good service, ethics, etc.

I'm looking at a curricula made by a provider that has an iffy reputation (not WP, though I know y'all were thinking that!). The product has a basically good reputation, but the business owner.... eh, not so much. He/She tries to quash negative feedback and is kind of overbearing.

So, now I'm stuck trying to decide whether to keep looking as a matter of principle (not wanting to reward bad behavior with my money) or just ignore the owner's reputation and use the product.

I struggle witht this type of thing. Sometimes a LOT.

I talk about what I use. What I say sometimes has an influence on others. So, it even goes beyond my purchase.

Overbearing authors/providers trigger my PTSD. If they are aggressive enough that I cannot talk about MY purchase, without being afraid of being confronted. If they tell me I don't even own the purchase, but just have the right to use it. Contant e-mails stating changes in the rules of using the product and what support is being decreased. Those things will actually stop me from using something no matter how much I like the product.

I tend to trust a product less, when I lose trust in the author/provider. If they say something is complete or accurate or anything that is not in my areas of expertise, I doubt them. I figure they must have taken shortcuts and liberties in their research and writing, whenever it was convenient.

Sometimes I know an author knows better than to take a shortcut. It really irks me when they use fancy talk to justify laziness and stinginess in developing their product. And when they are SO smooth about it, I have even more of an aversion to using the product. If the author is kind of a mess all around, I'll actually give them more slack than the smooth one.

What and where I take a stand is probably not logical to others, but it makes sense to me. And my recovery rules are: I have the right to be "wrong" and do it anyway. I don't have to explain or defend myself. I have the right to change my mind.

I'm still quite irritated about the developer of a certain (paid) app that, after I contacted about having an entirely incorrect x9 section (it was x6 or something), told me he wouldn't be fixing it anytime soon, and so I rated the app as not that great. Then he emailed a sad story and promised to fix it, which he did. I promised that as soon as it worked, I would replace my review and promote his app, because, up until that point, I actually liked it but had never seen it mentioned on the boards. Well, to make a long story short, about 2 minutes after a seemingly pleasant email from him, I suddenly was getting all these confirmation emails for a bunch of freaky spam (tons of gambling sites, weight loss stuff, support groups for wives of men addicted to inappropriate material, coupons, etc) and some of the sign up confirmations came with an IP address of sign up, which was, surprise surprise, were from the exact same geographic region as his emails and the address Google shows for him, and not from where I live! Needless to say, I felt totally disgusted with him and bullied, and I never wrote a nice review nor suggested anyone on here give him his money! So I would not be excited about such personalities either. Can you get it used? Or borrow it from someone?

Reputation matters in every aspect of my life. I only hire contractors with good reviews, and I try my best to purchase fair trade items. I don't treat our school purchases differently.

I've found that most reputations are well earned, both good and bad.

I wouldn't purchase from someone with a bad reputation. Even if it was a great product. What if something goes wrong? I would be worried that if something went wrong I wouldn't get the support I needed. Plus I don't like to reward poor customer service.

Stripe, what app was it?

There are publishers I'm hesitant to buy from because of how they have responded to discussion about them, criticism and negative reviews.

There are others I'm disinclined to buy from because of their associations with, or contributions from, certain people and/or groups with whom I take serious moral issue.

Others I'm turned off from because they don't appear to tolerate the idea of their product being used as a tool in a parent's personalized curriculum for their individual child - as if success depends upon using the thing exactly as they themselves planned it (especially if it's not just academic success but the character of your child or your child's Christian faith that depends upon their way of educating or their specific curricula). In the same stream, quoting anyone like they are quoting scripture makes me want to go elsewhere and also quoting scripture to influence the way I purchase or use their curricula or what I think of it, has the same effect.

There may be some overlap.

It matters.

My mom picked up an item, thinking I'd like it for the kids.  A chunk of it was written by a certain person whom shall remain nameless, and as I explained what I know of that person my mom decided to take the item back.  When she took it back, the lady at the counter remarked that the store gets a ton of those items as returns. :lol:   

It matters.

My mom picked up an item, thinking I'd like it for the kids.  A chunk of it was written by a certain person whom shall remain nameless, and as I explained what I know of that person my mom decided to take the item back.  When she took it back, the lady at the counter remarked that the store gets a ton of those items as returns. :lol:   

Come on, you've got to at least give us a couple of hints so we can work out who you're talking about!!

:lol:

It matters to me. Some companies, like IEW, get my business solely because I know they have amazing customer service. I *could* buy their stuff used, but I know they stand buy what I purchase and their return policy has really helped me the one time I bought something I didn't like.

Some, I won't do business with at all from bad experiences. For example, I won't purchase a paper well planned day planner after being burned by the unethical practices from the online WPD planner. Not happening. Ever.

It matters to me. In all areas of my consumer life but definitely in my homeschool purchases. 

I'm new to homeschooling, and have been doing a fair amount of buying and looking into curricula so I have tried to be careful about what I am buying. 

I was on the fence about a couple of LA programs, and the stellar customer service I received from one vs the canned responses given to me by the other - tipped the scales. The service was great from one, and I feel confident that I will have great support as I work my way through the program so I outputted a little more money and purchased from them. 

Also, I'm in Canada and most of the curricula providers are in the US for the most part, and if someone doesn't have a good rep for their shipping and support, it makes it a nightmare getting things to me here. SO I am careful about who I buy from if time and money are important. 

And, I just generally think that if people are not supporting their product to the best of their ability, then I don't want to award that with my money. There are times though, that it's the only option and you have no real other choices. But where possible, I always try to find a product that is going to work and a provider who will also work.