Menu

Coconut Oil--- talk to me about this!

So I sent dd down to the local health food store on her bike to buy some coconut oil yesterday, because I seem to remember someone here raving about how it was so yummy in the Whirley-Pop. Good thing I gave her a $20 because it was over $10! WOW! And I guess I was expecting it to be liquid, not a solid in a jar. Lovely scent, though, and it was DELICIOUS in the Whirley-Pop. The popcorn was divine!

:lurk5:

BUT.....what do I do with the rest of the jar? We'll continue to use it in the Whirley-Pop, but it'll take me forever to use it up! What else can I do with it? What do YOU do with it?

Astrid

My alternative use isn't in the kitchen. I've been using it as deodorant, and I'm amazed at how well it works.

I softened it in the microwave, added a bit of baking soda and let it solidify. Just a dab in the morning and I'm set for the day. No funky chemicals and it doesn't quit working half-way through the day like the commercial deodorant stick did.

We use CO for everything. I put it in smoothies (liquify it first, then add slowly while blending so it doesn't harden), use it for cooking instead of Olive Oil (CO is actually best to cook with as it has a higher heat index than olive oil), add it to popcorn, put it on toast instead of butter, use it as a moisturizer on my hands (just a dab and your hands feel really nice!). It is a wonderful, misunderstood oil. High in Lauric (sp?) acid and "good" fats. I'm about to try it in my hair as a conditioner...not sure how that'll work. Try to buy the extra virgin UNREFINED CO if you can...it's better than the refined stuff. There is a difference!

My alternative use isn't in the kitchen. I've been using it as deodorant, and I'm amazed at how well it works.

I softened it in the microwave, added a bit of baking soda and let it solidify. Just a dab in the morning and I'm set for the day. No funky chemicals and it doesn't quit working half-way through the day like the commercial deodorant stick did.

Thanks for this idea! That is just great! I've been looking for an alternative to deoderants (we "just say no" to aluminum and the deoderants w/out it just don't work for me!). So, how much CO to how much Baking Soda? Thanks.

(CO is actually best to cook with as it has a higher heat index than olive oil), .......Try to buy the extra virgin UNREFINED CO if you can...it's better than the refined stuff. There is a difference!

The jar I have says "Unrefined" but it also says that it's only for medium heat. Do you need a different kind with a higher heat index?

Thanks for this idea! That is just great! I've been looking for an alternative to deoderants (we "just say no" to aluminum and the deoderants w/out it just don't work for me!). So, how much CO to how much Baking Soda? Thanks.

I didn't measure. It's a little gritty when you rub it between your fingers.

After doing a bit of reading on the anti-bacterial properties of CO, I wonder if the baking soda is even a benefit.

I've been considering trying just plain CO. But I'll do that when I have nowhere to go and on a day when I'm not expecting company. ;)

It's good for your hair. At night when your combing the tangles out of your hair and then you sit to brush it, you put just a little bit (and I mean just a little bit) through the ends and it helps with the tangles plus its also very good for your hair.

It's also very good for your skin. You can use it to remove make-up.

It's more the baking soda than the CO. I've been using just plain Baking Soda for deoderant for a year now and its long and strong.

It's more the baking soda than the CO. I've been using just plain Baking Soda for deoderant for a year now and its long and strong.

How does that work, Peri?

Just moisten the skin and pat it on? Or brush it on?

Is it messy? It really works ALL day?

How does that work, Peri?

Just moisten the skin and pat it on? Or brush it on?

Is it messy? It really works ALL day?

You just dust it on just like powder. It does help if the underarms are a little moist so that it sticks more like afer you get out of the shower and towel off but aren't completely dry yet. I don't think its messy at all. I just put my baking soda in one of those pretty porcelean jars and I put a powder puff in it.

It not only lasts ALL day but it lasts for days:D

I use it as an oil for stir frys and love it on my veggies - broccoli and coconut oil. Yum!

My dd also uses it on her finger that has execma. It works better than the medicine that her dermatologist gave us. I put a little in an extra jar for her that she keeps in her bathroom at room temp. The only downside is that it stains her bed sheets with oil stains, but who cares because we are saving a lot of money in dr. visits and medicine.

I'm going to have to try the deoderant idea. I've tried to go aluminum-free, but on these hot summer days it just doesn't work. I got dh some aluminum-free deo at one point, but he couldn't use it without stinking. :tongue_smilie:

Dont' think this would work for dh, though, as he broke out in a horrible rash when I started baking with coconut oil. The itching/rash disappeared when I stopped using it, so we're pretty sure that it was the culprit. :(

Oh well. I can't wait to try this now. :)

Kelsy

A long while back, my family became distributors of a powdered whey beverage that contained Coconut oil. I remember showing it to a local chiropractor who carried products in his office. It was a huge office with a husband & wife team as office managers. He told me disdainly that it had coconut oil in it and he wouldn't feed it to his dog!

And now it is supposed to be good for you! What goes around comes around I guess.

I am going to try this! Thanks!

I use it as an oil for stir frys and love it on my veggies - broccoli and coconut oil. Yum!

My dd also uses it on her finger that has execma. It works better than the medicine that her dermatologist gave us. I put a little in an extra jar for her that she keeps in her bathroom at room temp. The only downside is that it stains her bed sheets with oil stains, but who cares because we are saving a lot of money in dr. visits and medicine.

Try some oxyclean and hot water when you wash the sheets.

I've been greasing up my pregnant belly with a variety of things and usually do it while in bed for the night. No grease stains - I swear it's the oxyclean. (I use the powder).

I've been greasing up my pregnant belly with a variety of things and usually do it while in bed for the night. No grease stains - I swear it's the oxyclean. (I use the powder).

Speaking of prgenant bellies, Karen, isn't your due date rapidly approaching?

A long while back, my family became distributors of a powdered whey beverage that contained Coconut oil. I remember showing it to a local chiropractor who carried products in his office. It was a huge office with a husband & wife team as office managers. He told me disdainly that it had coconut oil in it and he wouldn't feed it to his dog!

And now it is supposed to be good for you! What goes around comes around I guess.

Could be because it was dried - refined coconut oil.

Thank you, Karen!

I am going to try this the next time I wash her sheets. I really appreciate this tip because we use her room as the guest room when overnight guests visit. I was getting ready to buy a separate set of sheets just for the guests because her sheets look soiled even when they are clean.

Thanks!!

Some people are under the mistaken impression that all coconut oil is bad for us because hydrogenated coconut oil is bad for us. They don't understand the difference. If you are using raw, unrefined oil, it's fine. Even refined is okay, as long as it's not hydrogenated.

My oatmeal cookies came out flat as a crepe pancake with coconut oil, similar to the way butter makes cookies flat. I was sad. Very, very sad.

Yep, it has a low melting point (76 degrees F) like butter. I would not use it interchangeably with shortening in baked goods, though I do use it to replace anything that calls for melted butter or vegetable oil with good results. And, actually, in cookies that call for softened butter, creamed. If it's warm in your kitchen and the oil is liquid, just measure it out and firm it up in the fridge for a bit, then cream it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses it in my hair! It is truly the only thing that gets rid of the frizz and encourages my hair to curl, including products that claim to be curl enhancing. :001_huh:

I fry our sweet potato fries in a mix of coconut oil, olive oil and sesame oil.

I use it year round as hand cream.

I use it in the summer as body lotion -- in the winter it's too hard unless I warm it up, and I don't have the patience for that, so I switch to almond oil.

I put a spoonful in a hot beverage every morning.

I put it in yogurt smoothies.

Some people are under the mistaken impression that all coconut oil is bad for us because hydrogenated coconut oil is bad for us. They don't understand the difference. If you are using raw, unrefined oil, it's fine. Even refined is okay, as long as it's not hydrogenated.

Also, once upon a time the thought was that any fat/oil that's solid at room temperature is bad for you. Period.

But life is more complex than that -- some solid fats, like hydrogenated fats, are bad, and some solid fats, like coconut oil, are good.

We also use it for massages (I haven't found a better massage oil!!). I haven't had any issues with my sheets staining.

I have also heard it was the best "personal" lube (as someone else has mentioned)!:lol:

So did I mention that not only do I have a brand-spankin' new jar of coconut oil on my kitchen counter, but by a really uncanny alignment of the planets, my mom (who lives with us) is going to her 56th high school reunion this weekend, and my in-laws are taking dd for the first time ever on their weekend trip to Maine.

So for the first time in 11 years, dh and I have the house to ourselves. Wait. Dh, the jar of coconut oil and I have the house to ourselves. We can't take a tropical vacation, so I guess the next best thing is to mix up a pitcher of mai tai's and open that coconut oil, right? :lol::lol:

LOL!

Astrid

So did I mention that not only do I have a brand-spankin' new jar of coconut oil on my kitchen counter, but by a really uncanny alignment of the planets, my mom (who lives with us) is going to her 56th high school reunion this weekend, and my in-laws are taking dd for the first time ever on their weekend trip to Maine.

So for the first time in 11 years, dh and I have the house to ourselves. Wait. Dh, the jar of coconut oil and I have the house to ourselves. We can't take a tropical vacation, so I guess the next best thing is to mix up a pitcher of mai tai's and open that coconut oil, right? :lol::lol:

LOL!

Astrid

:iagree: Absolutely!! Go for it and enjoy!!!