Menu

Baked Yams that Aren't Sickly Sweet?

Jean in Newcastle

This is simple and very good:

Cut yams or sweet pots into chunks, about 1/2" thick

Same for 1-2 tart apples (like Grannysmith)

Same for 3-4 parsnips (peel first)

Section 1 large sweet onion

Mix 1 part honey, 1 part soy sauce, 2 parts canola oil -- microwave briefly to allow honey to loosen a bit.

Toss everything in a bowl to coat.  Soy sauce is salty to begin with, but you can add salt and pepper to taste.

Place in shallow baking pan and bake at 400 F, stirring often.  Check thicker veggies with fork for done-ness.  Let onions brown to your preference.

You'll never look at root veggies the same.

We wash and peel them, then wrap in aluminum foil and bake.  Depending on the size, and how much time we have for them to bake, we may cut them into smaller pieces so they cook faster.  Bake until a fork poked into them slips in and out easily - so that they're almost mushy.  If you feel resistance,e keep baking.  They will caramelize and are fabulously sweet all on their own.  We don't put anything else on them, but you could top with butter and/or maple syrup if you wish.  (Note: The fresher the yams, the better they'll be.  We try not to let them sit in the fridge for more than a week or so.)

I peel them, cut them into cubes, toss them in olive oil and seasonings, and roast them in a 400* oven. 

My MIL used to wash them, pierce them with a fork, wrap them in foil, bake them, and eat them like a baked potato.

I have done both these and both are good. My family prefers the roasted style if I'm not making a casserole or souffle.

I wash, peel and slice them into disks. Then I put them in a roasting bag with a little orange juice and cinnamon. You can add whatever else you want, honey, brown sugar, nutmeg... These are still sweet but not make-you-sick sweet, plus the cleanup is super easy! I am not a fan of cooking or storing food in plastic, but believe once in a while won't kill us; if you feel strongly about skipping the plastic, just cook in a tightly sealed oven dish. I think I roast at 350F for about 45 minutes, depending on how thick I sliced. 

ETA Oh, butter, I do add butter, too.

I cut them in half lengthwise and roast then cut side down on a baking sheet with a bit of coconut oil in a hot oven. It caramelizes the cut side and steams off the skins. If I'm feeling fancy, I'll turn them over, sprinkle them with sugar and brûlée them before serving.

This is simple and very good:

Cut yams or sweet pots into chunks, about 1/2" thick

Same for 1-2 tart apples (like Grannysmith)

Same for 3-4 parsnips (peel first)

Section 1 large sweet onion

Mix 1 part honey, 1 part soy sauce, 2 parts canola oil -- microwave briefly to allow honey to loosen a bit.

Toss everything in a bowl to coat.  Soy sauce is salty to begin with, but you can add salt and pepper to taste.

Place in shallow baking pan and bake at 400 F, stirring often.  Check thicker veggies with fork for done-ness.  Let onions brown to your preference.

You'll never look at root veggies the same.

Sounds Yummy!!!! :001_wub:

The crock pot sweet potatoes I made at thanksgiving were a hit. Dice into big chunks (1" or so), put in slow cooker. Pour unsweetened applesauce over them, and cook on hi for 3 hrs, or low for 6. You could also bake them in the oven this way.

I have been asked to bring my baked yams several years in a row to Thanksgiving dinner. The key is tons of coconut oil and long, slow braising time. Basically I just scrub the yams, cut off the ends and then slice them into thick discs, skin on. I place as many as will fit in a pyrex baking dish (they shrink during cooking so crowding them in is fine) then melt a very generous amount of coconut oil and pour that over to thoroughly coat with even a bit extra on the bottom. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and herbs and bake in a 350 oven for 1.15 hrs flipping the yams over part way through. They caramelize in a lovely way bringing out the natural sweetness without anything additional. Sometimes though that is still too sweet for me so I add crumbled feta over top. Paired up with something bitter like kale this makes a perfectly balanced combo of sweet-savory :drool:

This is the best sweet potato recipe I've ever made.  Amazing.  Comes from the Old Ebbitt Grill restaurant in Washington, DC.  Crazy easy, amazingly delicious, and not overly sweet at all. 

Sweet Potato Gratin
Prep time: 20 minutes cook time: 55 minutes total time: 75 minutes other time: none
Makes 6-8

INGREDIENTS

• 2 1/2 - 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 T chipotle in adobo sauce
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 1 qt heavy cream
DIRECTIONS

Puree/blend chipotles to produce smooth paste.

Combine chipotle puree, cream and sugar.

Layer sweet potatoes in shallow (2" side) baking dish, overlapping layers of sweet potato.

Pour some of the cream mixture over each layer. Three or four layers is sufficient.

Do not over soak potatoes. Cream should not cover sweet potatoes completely.

Cover with foil and bake 350° for about 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 20-30 minutes until top has crusted and potatoes are tender. Mixture should be bubbly. Cool somewhat before serving.

Pats of butter could be added between the layers if desired.