Menu

Wedding reception food

Night Elf

I heard a conversation where the speaker was planning her wedding. She was saying she still needed a florist and a caterer. She talked about the food and was telling the other person she didn't want formal food for her sit-down dinner. She was trying to find a caterer that would do grilled cheese, tomato soup, and pigs in a blanket. She explained she and her finance were very laid back people and this was the kind of food they ate. Her first thought was a food truck but they were too expensive. This sounds like a fun wedding to attend.

We had a very small wedding....mainly family and a few close friends.  We rented a pavilion at a park and did a cookout style meal.  I had lots of people tell me that they enjoyed it much more than a sit down because they felt more at ease.  I would totally go to a wedding reception like that.

I suspect the problem is the bride stated "sit down" dinner. There's a point where a caterer cannot make the food cheap enough to do the "sit down" presentation. 

If I was looking at these types of comfort food options, I might ask family to help me. Ask a couple of people to make great trays of mac n cheese (easy make ahead casserole), order a few sides from the grocery store deli and get salad, then present it all on a buffet. 

For my nephew's wedding, the reception was small and informal, held in the park, and I decorated with

daisies in vintage containers, blue check tablecloths, burlap table runners, and sage colored accents.

Simple...took less than an hour tonset up. Dh and my dad had their gas grills on hand and did choice

of barbecue chicken or grilled salmon. The grandmas and auntie brought veggies and dip, potato salad, and

watermelon. Cookies...no cake, lemonade and ice tea. We had a lot of fun and I never got the impression

that guests felt deprived.

Local caterers would accommodate a lot. But the licensing of food trucks is a sticky wicket around here

and it does take a fair amount of staff to pull off a plated meal so my guess is that these issues could

be a problem for the bride and esspecially if she was hoppers nt that simple food would save money.

Sounds like fun!  I don't think any of the caterers in my area would do that though.  From what I've heard, they pretty much have a set list of dishes that you pick from, and they won't do special requests unless it is very similar to something they already offer.  I guess that way they know the timing and costs.

We were involved in one wedding where the close friends met with one of the relatives, and we divided up the cooking for a reception of family favorites from both sides.  We were given recipes.

And we've been to several potluck receptions where the guests brought their favorite dish.  Worked fine!

That sounds like a lot of fun. Grilled cheese sounds simple, but one of the tricky issues would be the timing. No one wants a cold grilled cheese sandwich. We did those for one of our church's soup and sandwich suppers and it was difficult to have them ready to go when people were ready. If it's a large reception, it would be even worse.

Betty's suggestion of mac and cheese sounds like great comfort food too, plus easy to make.

Erica in OR

Just went to a df's dd's wedding yesterday. They had cheese and fruit on two tables for apps, then a little buffet of rolls, chicken salad, green salad with strawberries, green beans with cashews, and a hearty pasta salad. It was delicious, simple, and on the less expensive side, I'm sure. 

Just a side note--Their caterer was a dear woman from the church--she was 100 years old! Spry and out and about, telling everyone to eat more! 

It was a great wedding.

Sounds like a self cater job. A caterer needs a certain size job for the wait staff wages and such to be doable.

We catered our own wedding, which was in the morning and so we did brunch. We did baked eggs in ramekins, roasted potatoes and veggies, cut fruit, homemade muffins and granola. It was easy. The best man and I made the muffins and granola a couple of days ahead. We prepped the veg and potatoes ahead and just reheated. We prepped the egg dishes just before the guests arrived and the ceremony lasted long enough that by the time people were sitting down, those were ready to be taken out on trays. Instead of wedding cake we made little individual sized soft cheesecakes with fruit and choc sauce. We served all the food family style at the tables, with a table for people to get their own coffee, tea or punch.

I LOVE the more informal wedding receptions and the good old comfort food. I agree with a few others though that grilled cheese can be tricky---esp. if you are trying to have 100 of them reading to eat at the same time.

Simple potluck type foods though would be a hit for me.

I like the idea of a casual wedding, with simple food. I really like 'cake and punch in the church basement' weddings.

But I think she is going to have trouble finding a caterer to do this for her. It sounds like a 'get your friends to pitch in' type plan. And really, getting hot soup and hot grilled cheese to 75 people sounds hard. Grilled cheese has to be eaten really quickly or it is gross.

I like the idea of a casual wedding, with simple food. I really like 'cake and punch in the church basement' weddings.

But I think she is going to have trouble finding a caterer to do this for her. It sounds like a 'get your friends to pitch in' type plan. And really, getting hot soup and hot grilled cheese to 75 people sounds hard. Grilled cheese has to be eaten really quickly or it is gross.

Off topic

Due to a case of food poisoning at a VFW hall fundraiser -single case and not yet confirmed by the health department -the county just east of here passed an emergency ordinance making it illegal to serve food at any event other than a private residence (and you cannot serve more than 20 people in your home either)

without a catering license! Potlucks were made illegal. Churches and other nonprofits are not exempt.

So forget doing a wedding reception on a tight budget. The going rate for catering a simple buffet

starts at $19.95 per person without dessert.

Off topic

Due to a case of food poisoning at a VFW hall fundraiser -single case and not yet confirmed by the health department -the county just east of here passed an emergency ordinance making it illegal to serve food at any event other than a private residence (and you cannot serve more than 20 people in your home either)

without a catering license! Potlucks were made illegal. Churches and other nonprofits are not exempt.

So forget doing a wedding reception on a tight budget. The going rate for catering a simple buffet

starts at $19.95 per person without dessert.

Yes, similar rule in the county where we got married over 20 years ago.  Somehow they exempted non-profit organizations that weren't charging, so the church receptions and potlucks were OK.  Fundraisers were not.