Menu

Who's going to see the second Hobbit movie?

Kathryn

We saw it tonight in 3-D and all 4 of us liked it. I had to switch to my 2-D glasses a few times to rest my wonky eyes. (yes, I bought 2-D glasses on Amazon.). However, I kept them on most of the time and really enjoyed it. We didn't spring for IMAX.

I wish I had the patience to wait until all 3 movies are out, then watch them together.

DD had her 17th birthday today which she celebrated by doing an almost 6 hour version of the ACT and then tonight the Hobbit movie with a few of her friends.  The rest of the family went too but we just sat in a different area of the theater from her.  So we did the Imax 3D and 3d really isn't my thing.  The movie was fairly good.  But I would have liked a bit less of the Ninja fighting stuff too.

Not me! More to love! :)

But then, I see the books and movies (speaking collectively about LOTR and the Hobbit, here) as separate entities--I love them each for what they are, and my enjoyment of one is not dependent on the other. I accept that the movies are different creatures altogether. If I want a pure Tolkien experience, I read the books.

We want to go see the movie soon, but I haven't figured out what to do with my 8-month old yet.

This, exactly.  I'll babysit!!!

I saw it earlier today.  I didn't like it.  I don't think I'm giving away any spoilers to say:

1. way too many ridiculous unbelievable special effects (someone above mentioned ninja elves, yep)

2. way too many things that are different from the book.  REALLY different.

3. way too much of an attempt to tie in to the LOTR trilogy - adding multiple characters from LOTR, having Gandalf running about the countryside, a scene in the Prancing Pony, etc.

I'm glad I only paid $5 because it was before noon.

Yes, I totally agree! We liked the first one, but was disappointed with the second book. It greatly strayed from the book. It was waaaayyyy overkill on Orc killing! The second movie was missing the humor and light-heartedness that the first one had.  Some major parts from the book were left out. We spent $10 a piece for the ticket and it was a waste of money.  Not to mention there were 19 minutes of previews and commercials before the movie even started!! Just bummed this movie didn't live up to book!

Ds and I went yesterday. We both really liked it. It wasn't the book and I'm okay with that. A few scenes ran too long, you can tell one actor is wearing contacts. and while I really like the addition of Freckles, I think the love aspect was overstated. 

Smaug was brilliant, Thorin was  :svengo: , and Bilbo was  :thumbup: . 

I am glad we didn't go to the 3D version. Aside from motion sickness issues, I would have crawled behind ds during that certain creepy scene. 

Spoilers

Exactly what was PJ and friends thinking with the really crazy, fake, Matrix, Ninjas Crouching Tiger

Hidden Dragon so along and drawn out that I yawned and looked at the clock too many times Elves

scene? Dude...you did so well with Legolas and the Olephant from Return of the King...and this is

what they came up with??????

And no, one wine barrel cannot wipe out forty orcs and still hold together. That scene really looked

ridiculous as well.

Still, the boys loved it, a nice evening out.

We saw it tonight in 3-D and all 4 of us liked it. I had to switch to my 2-D glasses a few times to rest my wonky eyes. (yes, I bought 2-D glasses on Amazon.). However, I kept them on most of the time and really enjoyed it. We didn't spring for IMAX.

I wish I had the patience to wait until all 3 movies are out, then watch them together.

There's 3 of them? I think I'm going to cry. I kind of want to see this one just because I've sat through all the others, but my patience only extends so far.

ACK!  We went last weekend.  We took the baby.  What was I thinking?  My husband said, "You really think we should?"  And I said, "What will we do?  Leave her home?  Then she'll cry and cry.  Don't worry.  She's tired.  She'll nurse a ton and fall sound asleep."

Famous last words.

One hour & twenty five minutes into the show Cate the Great and I headed off to finish up stocking stuffers.  I let the husband stay and finish the movie.  I get Bonus Reward points for that right?  FWIW,  I loved the first hour and almost half.  :P :D

Already saw it with DH. We decided to see it without our older kids. It was great, different then the book. Some scary scenes and I am glad we didn't take my older two. My daughter (11) doesn't like really scary stuff but it ok watching sci-fi/fantasy during the day, she can even have nightmares. My son is the same even at (12) but not as sensitive. 

• 1 month later...